Decware amps with K402

AHall

Mini Torii (the output stage and part of power supply of which have been reconfigured for UL operation).  This necessitated replacing the original output transformers for single-ended OPTs with UL tap and secondary impedance of 6 ohms.)

One connection left -- chassis earth ground.

Aesthetics are quite nice, with the much larger output transformers, although I will say the amp was really nice stock.  I'll post a picture when I'm done with it this weekend.

edit:  Forgot speakers:  La Scala, Heresies I, Electrovoice 2-way (vented enclosure).

Right.  I've been a Lowther owner for a long time.  Some install zobel networks, swamping resistors, baffle step compensation etc., with the hope of correcting the response -- all of which sound terrible to me.  I don't like damping material, either.  Silver voice coils, despite their higher conductivity, are also heavier than copper or aluminum (the other options), and that slows the driver down somewhat.

The mini torii with La scales, Heresies, etc., is outstanding.

My Zen Taboo came in yesterday the EL-84 sounds as expected very musical more than enough oomph for my single drivers but ultimately it will be in the bedroom for late night headphone or another smaller single driver setup. I like the fact I can keep speakers and headphones hooked up and flip a switch between the 2 (Makes it much more versatile) The amp sounds very good probably not the last word in detail / resolution but for a 2nd system it will do nicely.  The Cary 45, and / or welborne DRD 300B sound better IMHO. 

Guest wdecho

Very nice. I just glanced at the info at Decware and it appears he has accomplished a SET sound from a PP amplifier. I would love to see the schematic and see how this is accomplished. Judging by the spectrum analyzer screenshot it does look very much like a SET graph. Evidently he has produced a 25 watt SET sounding amplifier using some type of PP configuration. Hats off to Steve. I have two SET EL34 amplifiers and love the sound of both of them, 5 watts of power. I prefer the Russian equivalent of the 6L6 tube over the sound of the EL34 and KT77's brands I have tried. You may want to give the 6L6 tubes a try some day in the future especially the NOS Russian made for military types, the 6P3S tubes. Cheap and readily available at the present time.  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R1.TR9.TRC1.A0.H0.X6p3.TRS1&_nkw=6p3s+tube&_sacat=0

Looks like you have a keeper for your lifetime. Tubes still rule for gorgeous sound. 

6 minutes ago, wdecho said:

Very nice. I just glanced at the info at Decware and do not really understand what or how he means by SET and PP. I would love to see the schematic and see how this is accomplished. Judging by the spectrum analyzer screenshot it does look very much like a SET graph. Evidently he has produced a 25 watt SET sounding amplifier using some type of PP configuration. Hats off to Steve. I have two SET EL34 amplifiers and love the sound of both of them, 5 watts of power. I prefer the Russian equivalent of the 6L6 tube over the sound of the EL34 and KT77's brands I have tried. You may want to give the 6L6 tubes a try some day in the future especially the NOS Russian made for military types, the 6P3S tubes. Cheap and readily available for the present time.  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R1.TR9.TRC1.A0.H0.X6p3.TRS1&_nkw=6p3s+tube&_sacat=0

Looks like you have a keeper for your lifetime. Tubes still rule for gorgeous sound. 

I have definitely thought about trying the 6L6. Do you have a favorite?

Shakey

Guest wdecho

The NOS Russian 6P3S ones. I have some new production EL-34's and the Gold Lion KT-77's and prefer the 6P3S over them both. Some other members with SET EL-34 amplifier have agreed with me after trying the 6P3S tubes. The 6L6 tubes are said to produce more 2nd harmonics, I have not checked the spectrum analysis to confirm this with the different tubes. I am just going by what I hear. Why not get a set while they are still available since they are so cheap right now and give them a try. I have found any NOS tube sounds better than the modern manufactured ones offered these days. Russian equivalents made for the military to a different standard than commercial ones are what I look for. Russia used tubes for military use long after the USA turned to SS. They are now dumping them on the market. The 6P1P is a great sounding Russian tube that may be in your amplifier. 

Again, great looking amplifier. 

Guest wdecho

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R1.TR9.TRC1.A0.H0.X6p3.TRS1&_nkw=6p3s+tube&_sacat=0

If the 6L6 is a drop in replacement the 6P3C will be also. The 6P3C is a 6L6 by a different name. Actually the Russian name on the tube is 6n3c translated 6P3S English name 6L6. Do some googling or call Steve. He knows more about his amp than we do.

• 11 months later...