Erse Pulse X Capacitors

Deang

Everyone sick of capacitors yet? 🙂

Here is the product page for the Erse Pulse X.

http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/PulseX

”Defect free” film, soldered leads using silver solder, Oxygen free copper leads, and wound on “specially designed German winding machines with tension feedback control”, which they claim is an “industry first”.

Since tension feedback control has been an industry standard for well over a decade, my BS meter starts to climb a bit.  

Still, I’m impressed - so I better buy some right away!

Easy mark that I am, I bought quite a few. 

They showed up in a padded envelope, which had blown off the porch and into the front yard. Things were not off to a good start.

All of the parts were tossed together in a single bag, and most of the caps showed visable external damage (to the tape) from being crushed together, and many of the leads were bent up - all due to the tension controlled winding method utilized by USPS.

As soon as I pulled a couple out of the bag, I knew I wasn’t going to use them - and this would have applied even if they had been properly packaged.  

At first I thought they had forgotten to ship the 15uF caps I needed, until I realized I was holding one in my hand - which I thought was a 5uF!

The picture compares a 250 Vdc 15uF Erse to a 250Vdc 15uF Bennic (Dayton). 

I decide to not accept the claim of “defect free” film - because it’s simply too thin. 

1BECF9F4-059D-4B2A-A8AC-BF9118E920F6.jpeg

• Like 2

They’re fine, but they are unremarkable. The marketing literature makes claims that I doubt. There is nothing that distinguishes it, or sets it apart from other entry level metallized types of the same voltage rating. 

“Defect free” metallized film would be great if the claim could be substantiated, as that is the biggest issue related to this capacitor type. The film used for the Pulse X is the some of the thinnest I’ve encountered. Many around here know that this not the first time I’ve stripped down a capacitor - I’ve also stripped down Dayton, Solen, Sonicap, Auricap, and Theta. The latter three are well constructed. I consider Dayton/Bennics as the de facto standard for entry level. Based on the marketing literature, I expected these to be in the same neighborhood as the Sonicap or ClarityCap CSA for less money - they are not. I was disappointed with the physical construction.

• Like 1

I use poly Erse's a fair amount and they have measured in tolerance and have had pretty low ESR. I can believe the cost means they cut corners but here is a problem I run into. They have the values I need for various crossovers where others don't or I have to use two caps to get the right value.  To me it looks sloppy to stack caps on top of each other if there is a full value one I can use instead. I would prefer Dayton but the list at Parts Express is pretty limited and I don't know a better vendor for them. Also I am a cheap skate and not willing to spend a lot on these to begin with. Do you have a source of decent caps at Dayton prices? I see Audyn caps becoming competitive at PE and order those more and more but again the available values are not very comprehensive.

The caps I see all the time marked TI on klipsch crossovers are mylars then? Almost all those I have ever pulled have had higher ESR than poly anything from Erse or PE. Then again they have been in service for some time so I have no idea what they would measure new and have yet to find a source of TI caps either.

What do you think of these

Jantzen Cross-CAP MKP capacitor is made from metalised (Zn;Al) propylene foil
(typ. ± 3%) max. ±5% in a body with low inductance . The dielectric strength is 400VDC. It is characterized by an exceptionally good price / performance ratio .

Guest wdecho
5 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

What do you think of these

Jantzen Cross-CAP MKP capacitor is made from metalised (Zn;Al) propylene foil
(typ. ± 3%) max. ±5% in a body with low inductance . The dielectric strength is 400VDC. It is characterized by an exceptionally good price / performance ratio .

I used Jantzen cross-cap's in my last X-over build for the tweeter and also for some tube amplifiers as coupling caps. Sound really good to me for price paid. I have also used the ones Dean mentioned in amplifiers and considered a good low cost cap, Solen. 

Good tear down and inspection Dean. Dean's expertise is X-overs and he is very thorough in part selections for his ultimate builds but it is good to see recommendations for us cheapskates as well.  Dean and I have had lively discussion on parts selections, caps, resistors, autotransformers etc and I ran across a quote from Nelson Pass this morning concerning amplifiers that has meaning in X-overs as well.  "People do like to discuss these issues though, and it provides lively
entertainment...." 

Thank you
It’s my first time doing any crossover repairs or mods and just installed those into my Klipsch H1 type E crossovers
I’ve been reading about letting them burn in or what every people are calling it these days. The oil cans that I removed look like new on the outside and I can hear the highs a tad more. So any info will be great