My new set-up, and a question on Surrounds

Jason M

PicsArt_08-05-03_42_27.thumb.jpg.ef9c62b858645020b994a6dcbfab64be.jpgPicsArt_08-05-03_43_49.thumb.jpg.af4d8b43f145faebf2d8eaa6bf8a2132.jpgPicsArt_08-05-03_43_20.thumb.jpg.e157cf2893f531ceca594e4d390b518f.jpg

I've got my new set-up all together and going... but, I'm not happy with the surrounds. I used to have simple Klipsch Quintets on the rears angled in, and I had a lot more surrund play it seemed. Should I be going with the RB61ii maybe instead of those RS62ii?

44 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Were the Quintets angled down?  Your surrounds are mounted pretty high so most of the sound isn’t hitting your ears.  Do t forget to rerun Audyssey too

Yes they were angle down & in. I can't really put those RS any lower with the setup of my home. Should I go ahead and send them back and go with the rb61

1 hour ago, Jason M said:

Yes they were angle down & in. I can't really put those RS any lower with the setup of my home. Should I go ahead and send them back and go with the rb61

Not quite understanding your issue.  Surround channels, unless you are playing "all channel stereo" music, may only be utilized about 20% of the time in a non action movie and 60 to 70% of the time in a high impact action movie.  Some sounds are subtle, some a bit more pronounced.  The RS-62II's will not be as tinny sounding as the Quintets so they may not have as much of a "metallic" sound.  Think a Tranformers movie.  Your ears may have gotten used to the way the Quintets project with their tiny drivers and still need a little time with the much larger 62II drivers.

2 hours ago, Youthman said:

Your surrounds are mounted pretty high so most of the sound isn’t hitting your ears.

As Michael said, they are mounted a tad bit on the high side but IMO not too much to completely alter the sound.

Bill

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Jason M said:

The RB61 II won't sound any different if they are in the same position as they too will be firing well above your head. 

You might want to look at something like a heavy duty OmniMount that will allow you to angle the speaker - https://amzn.to/2Oh4EHz

27 minutes ago, Youthman said:

The RB61 II won't sound any different if they are in the same position as they too will be firing well above your head. 

You might want to look at something like a heavy duty OmniMount that will allow you to angle the speaker - https://amzn.to/2Oh4EHz

I figured i would mount and angle the RBs... or would I be crazy to do hat route versus these rs62? I may just need to get used to the sound. Plus I will be getting a new receiver that may possibly help to. Torn Between the 3400 H or getting the Onkyo rz820

The RS may have just needed broken in, because they are sweet now. Unfortunately I also found out My Onkyo Zone 2 right and front high right channels dont work. Ugh. Now to decide on receivers... contemplating buying the same receiver I have used for $100 ( tx-sr608), or getting a Denon 3400 or 4400, or an Onkyo RZ720.