Decoding Heresy II serials

Eddy Heresy

Hello everyone,

I got the opportunity to buy two pair of Heresy II speakers after they had been stored for 10 years.

I'm most likely the second owner of these speakers and really curious to know how old they are.
I did have a look on the serial number guide on this community but couldn't figure it out based upon the numbers that I have.

Hoping somebody could give me some assistance.

Thanks in advance.

Pair #1:

P/N 09000351210
S/N 280040 and 280041
W/O 4980

Pair #2:
S/N: 293297714 and 293297715

Notes:
- Pair #1 has older looking paper serial number notes on the back with some nails. 

- Pair #2 has coated (paper) woofers

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

IMG-5668.JPG

On 8/7/2018 at 3:15 AM, dtr20 said:

Pair 2 was built on the 293rd day of 1992. Pair 1 is older and I haven't figured out how to read those.

Thank you for that! I now see the pattern.

Have been looking into the older pair 1. 
It could not be 1985 since the cable connection mounting plates were still round be then.
It could not be later then pair 2 since the woofer was not coated. 
Online I found two other Heresy's with the same labels but both topics ended without a result.

I could not resist getting to know more so I pulled the tweeter and squawker.

K-76-K with code 9051

K-53-K with code 9051

Both week 51 - 1990 

Not sure how many time would sit in between the production of the components and the actual speaker build, but a good indication though.

My older son bought a pair of HIIs for me as a birthday present. The previous owner had removed the tags so it's been a guess knowing when they were made. The closest I got was finding a date on inspection stickers in tbe cabinets.

I love them, much more balanced than the originals. If the HIIIs are as big a jump, they should be amazing.

Bruce

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

My older son bought a pair of HIIs for me as a birthday present. The previous owner had removed the tags so it's been a guess knowing when they were made. The closest I got was finding a date on inspection stickers in tbe cabinets.

I love them, much more balanced than the originals. If the HIIIs are as big a jump, they should be amazing.

Bruce

If the H II's were early ones, then the serial numbers SHOULD BE stamped into the rear edge of the top panels.  Once they moved over completely to MDF-core panels they probably stopped doing that right afterwards, because the stamping-in of serial numbers into those rear edges would buckle the MDF outwards....causing the outer veneer to buckle-upwards near where the stamping was being done.

22 hours ago, Budman said:

83 ( Y ) was the last year they stamped in the wood

Not too sure about that, myself....because I left Klipsch in late September 1983, and they were still using poplar lumber-core veneered panels for the finely-veneered K-horn, Belle, Cornwall, and Heresy speakers and didn't go to birch veneered MDF panels for the birch speakers until a year or so after they started using MDF core panels on the finely-veneered speakers....production changes don't just start/end on a particular calendar year Dec 31st or Jan 1st....and with Klipsch, nothing is, or ever has been, written in stone!  They didn't even go over to MDF core for finely veneered speakers as standard production until sometime well after I left, because that was still a "work in progress" WHEN I left....and they had quite a few pallets of birch plywood parts poplar lumber-core parts and and panels which would BECOME parts to use up when I left...more than enough to carry them over to well past the beginning of 1984.  Just saying....it is what it WAS!

Not only that, but the morning I left Klipsch for good, there were enough HBR cabinets waiting to get into and thru the sanding room to last until late December 1983 shipping dates, at least!  We started the "Christmas rush" production as early as June-July in those days and it ran until the end of the fourth quarter...because that heavy workload was for Christmas orders and the orders to REPLACE dealer stock that was sold by dealers during that Christmas period...and those speakers had to arrive at the dealers BY Christmas to go into their inventory for post-Christmas sales into at least beginning-to-mid March of the following year.  Just figure this:  20 Birch Heresy speaker cabinets to a pallet, waiting to be sanded...with about 40-60+ pallets loaded like that just outside the sanding room door....that's 800-1200+ birch Heresy cabinets waiting to get sanded...2 sanders working birch Heresys on average....maybe getting 8 sanded per day each, when they were not pulled for walnut Heresys or LaScalas, or whatever....that's 100-150 days of work...in LATE SEPTEMBER...divided by 2...do the math....with UNDER 70 WORK DAYS left in the year.  The Afternoon before I left I was out of room to put "ready to sand" birch Heresy cabinets....into rows, of 6 pallets deep and 8-10 pallets across...so I was over routing pallets of parts on the overhead pin router, which what I would have been doing until I had, either more room to put more pallets, or some pallets of Cornwall cabinet parts show up to build....but I clocked-in, while being harassed by my foreman that last morning, and clocked back out immediately afterwards...grabbed whatever was MINE and left the plant for good.  Keep in mind that even the sanders and builders got pulled to box-up speakers in the shipping department in order to get the trucks and empty trailers loaded quickly when they arrived....so that cut into the time available for building and sanding, too! 

Going on a tour of the plant to see production today, and seeing what kind of frantic fast-paced building/production was going on at the plant in the 1970's and 80's are very different worlds from each other.  Just ask anybody who was there during that time-frame.

• 5 years later...