squawkers: really need to replace?

skypunk345

@skypunk345,

Welcome to the forum.

2 hours ago, skypunk345 said:

Do the  squawkers really need to be replaced?

They don't unless they are not performing to spec.

2 hours ago, skypunk345 said:

i would like to replace the woofers or  squawkers.

Seriously no need to replace anything unless damaged or you just want to find a suitable upgrade.  

Bill

For 1980 cornwalls I would expect that the original crossovers need to be recapped.  This is a common issue and helps restore the highs back close to the factory spec.

You should not need to replace any drivers unless they are not working properly.  You can use a measurement microphone and free PC based analysis software such as RTA or REW to test the drivers and make sure the left and right tweeters, squawkers, and woofers mirror each other in frequency response.  If not then you might need to replace a diaphragm in a tweeter or squawker, or a woofer.

18 hours ago, mark1101 said:

For 1980 cornwalls I would expect that the original crossovers need to be recapped.  This is a common issue and helps restore the highs back close to the factory spec.

You should not need to replace any drivers unless they are not working properly.  You can use a measurement microphone and free PC based analysis software such as RTA or REW to test the drivers and make sure the left and right tweeters, squawkers, and woofers mirror each other in frequency response.  If not then you might need to replace a diaphragm in a tweeter or squawker, or a woofer.

Good advice. Also listen for things like rattles or vibration sounds, Reposition, tighten, replace as necessary.