CL H1's

ThomasD.

Looking at these H1's on CL.  Owner says he bought them new & wants $400.  Does the serial # tell any information about year of manufacture?  Wondering if these had the metal or plastic horns? Are the plastic ones an H1.5?  Still trying to get some driver pictures from owner.  Also, is it odd that the serial #'s are 1 off?  Thanks

IMG_9156.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

Looking at these H1's on CL.  Owner says he bought them new & wants $400.  Does the serial # tell any information about year of manufacture?  Wondering if these had the metal or plastic horns? Are the plastic ones an H1.5?  Still trying to get some driver pictures from owner.  Also, is it odd that the serial #'s are 1 off?  Thanks
IMG_9156.thumb.jpg.fd2396c04fc0ebc62586ad1a66345bba.jpg
IMG_0886.thumb.jpg.3ac52eea64dbc6018f2263eea335afa7.jpg
IMG_2227.thumb.jpg.e8ae0027ac1c26b4c6eb9e1a430ac0d7.jpg

"K" equals 1972 I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@baron167 Can that be verified?  Owner says he bought them in 1977 and has had them stored in the 'barn' for years.  Don't doubt the storage part due to the apparent water damage.  Thinking $400 might be on the high side unless there was something special about these and it's not looking like it.  So, if the 'K' stands for a year does the # following indicate the production # of that year ??

They will have AlNiCo tweeters and squawkers and MAY have an AlNico woofer.  They will also have thick wall K-700 Al squawker horns.  Some say AlNiCo sounds better.  The K-77-M ceramic tweeter goes higher and tolerates more power. 

K is indeed 1972 and I think $400 is high for the damaged finish.  Offer $300 unless the plys are delaminating, then offer $200.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnA said:

They will have AlNiCo tweeters and squawkers and MAY have an AlNico woofer.  They will also have thick wall K-700 Al squawker horns.  Some say AlNiCo sounds better.  The K-77-M ceramic tweeter goes higher and tolerates more power. 

@JohnA Is that assuming a '72 or '77 model or either?

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Yes, the drivers are all replaceable, but then you'd be spending $400 for cabinets that are water damaged.....don't think that's a very good deal...

No, not much of a deal at all.  Probably best to just keep listening to my KG-4's and see what pops up in the future.  Still waiting for those elusive Chorus ll's. 

Then again these have been advertised for a while:

https://kenai.craigslist.org/ele/d/vintage-klipsch-la-scala/6625981428.html

No, not much of a deal at all.  Probably best to just keep listening to my KG-4's and see what pops up in the future.  Still waiting for those elusive Chorus ll's. 
Then again these have been advertised for a while:
https://kenai.craigslist.org/ele/d/vintage-klipsch-la-scala/6625981428.html

The drivers should be fine if they were not abused. My LaScalas are ‘73 vintage and worked in a nightclub before I got them. Still sound pristine. A little sanding should remove water damage. I would offer $200.00 and settle for $300.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seller seemed ‘perturbed’ that I asked for additional pics of the drivers. His one word  response was “Later”.  Will wait to see if he sends anymore.  They’re 400 miles away so I’m not making a trip unless I’m buying. Guess I was more concerned with the quality of the older series drivers. I prefer a little patina in the finish. But want to know I’ll getting the best sound I can out of them. 

1 hour ago, Panelhead said:

400 miles is a trip. The drivers have the better magnets. Most likely they are okay. I would 300.00 if meet halfway. 250.00 if you pick up.

Not much between Fairbanks & Anchorage except the 400 miles of tourist filled roads, at least in the summer.  Have family down there so it's never a wasted trip.  Always look forward to a 'vintage' find.  This speaker collecting thing does get addicting.  😎