Cornwall Audition Denver

larryk

Looking for an opportunity to audition some Cornwalls.  Unfortunately there is no heritage dealer in Colorado.   I have been considering getting a pair but would prefer to have a listen to them first.  If anyone in the Denver area has some and would be willing to let me stop by for a listen that would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate everyone that checked out my post.  A real nice pair of 1979 oiled walnut Cornwall l’s turned up in Boulder and I picked them up this weekend.  They are stock with k77v, k55v and k33b drivers.  I must say they sound really good and are highly musical.   This forum has been very helpful to me in my quest to learn more about the Cornwall’s and I look forward to being part of the community.

3B7ECEF0-7DB8-42AB-A599-096D494920C4.jpeg

• Like 4

Try some furniture grippers on the bottom of them.  Might need new caps in them also....Bob has good ones or you could replace with new crossover from him. Welcome!!

If your ever in market for new call Cory from the forum...also a Klipsch page on FB.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, larryk said:

I appreciate everyone that checked out my post.  A real nice pair of 1979 oiled walnut Cornwall l’s turned up in Boulder and I picked them up this weekend.  They are stock with k77v, k55v and k33b drivers.  I must say they sound really good and are highly musical.   This forum has been very helpful to me in my quest to learn more about the Cornwall’s and I look forward to being part of the community.

Congrats on just getting a pair to try at home.  A nice looking assortment of gear.  What speakers did you have prior to the Cornwall's?

3B7ECEF0-7DB8-42AB-A599-096D494920C4.jpeg

Thanks guys, I realize the caps on the crossovers are 39 years old and I probably need to address that first.  As far as speakers I have had many audiophile approved speakers through the years but these actually sound more like live music than those ever did.  My most recent was a spatial audio M1 which is an open baffle speaker with 2 15” drivers and a compression driver in the throat of one of the bass drivers.  There was lots of resolution but missing in musicality.

• Like 2

Not sure what happened to my picture.  Sorry about the resolution.  I have been in the audio hobby for around 30 years.  The turntable is an early creation from Galibier Design which I have had for about 15 years and will be my last turntable.  The amp is a Border Patrol P21 which is a push pull 300b at around 20 watts.  The preamp is a Thoress full function preamp which happens to have an outstanding phono section.  For digital I have a an Exasound E32 DAC with the Exasound Playpoint server/streamer.  The hobby has been fun but am getting closer to the end of my journey as far as equipment. 

My prior speakers were Spatial Audio M1's.  They are open baffle with two 15" woofers and a compression driver.  Prior to that I had an Altec 604 based speaker.  The stock Cornwalls have much better bass than either of the two previous ones.  The Spatial Audio speakers had more resolution, better imaging and deeper soundstage.  The Cornwalls better them in dynamics, tonal quality and lack of fatigue.  I tend to value musicality over ultimate detail which can be fatiguing at times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congrats!!

I share your frustration of not being able to hear all of the Heritage that I would like to hear.  Did you find anything to demo prior to purchase?  Did you go straight for the Cornwalls or consider other models? I recently bought a used pair of Chorus II with new titanium tweeters and I put in Crites' crossovers and I love them, but damn I would like to hear some K-horns, LaScalas, Cornwalls, Heresys as well. Especially side-by-side . . .  The person I bought the Chorus from moved to a bigger listening room and replaced them with Cornwalls, so I'm sure you've done well. I highly recommend the upgrades, though. Very easy to DIY.

Edited by Oside

Unfortunately I was not able to demo any of the new heritage speakers.  I was curious to hear the Cornwall lll but was hesitant to purchase without hearing.  I must admit I am not a big fan of titanium drivers and that concerned me as well.  I was able to do an eBay deal on these with local pickup so I felt was worth a chance.