Forte IIIs vs. Heresy IIIs with a sub

calmarsh

Hi, I'm new to this forum and a first time Klipsch owner.  I just bought Forte IIIs for my 2 channel main living room / listening room.  After unboxing them my wifey says they are too big.  I love the speakers and could probably win the argument (not sure thats wise in the long run) but frankly the Forte's lack the subsonic bass I need for some music.  I listen to classic rock to jazz to hip hop and new alternative dance EDP stuff like Sylvan Esso.  The Fortes are amazing for everything except the last category.  I know there is no way I can get my wife to agree to a sub with the Fortes.  I can get her to agree to Heresy IIIs with a small sub like a Sunfire 8".  I think the Sunfire would get me the super low end bass I'm looking for.  I'm using a Yamaha RXV-1000 receiver now but will soon add a McIntosh MC2105 amp to drive the speakers and use the Yamaha as the pre-amp.

My question is ....is this a good approach and will I be able to crossover the sub to match up well with the Heresy IIIs?  Also, is there another small sub out there I should consider with the Heresy III?  Or should I fight to keep the Forte IIIs and live without the super low bass?

Any help appreciated!

I listen to a lot of electronic and I promise you the Forte III has substantial sub bass for music (in my room it can be felt quite easily) .   Many genres of music has minimal content below 40 hz anyhow.   Move those fortes closer to the back wall 6 inches at a time until you are satisfied.  The manual recommends 2 to 10 inches from the back wall.   I took advice from others about minimal toe in/ firing straight ahead as well and got excellent results.  Heresy III are great with a sub or two, but difficult 5i blend smoothly IMO.   The bass on the heresys is excellent and I love the speaker.  I just don't have the room for anything bigger than a small 10 or 12" sub with the heresys and as such, the fortes satisfy much more.   Keep the fortes.  Top to bottom excwllent balance easy to adjust with positioning and tweeters are already at ear level.   

Remind her "bigger is better" in audio as well-though my wife finally won the argument and I sold the Cornwalls for the Forte III's which seem to satisfy her.  Steve Guttenberg (the Audiophlliac on Youtube) has an interesting video i just watched today explaining the inexplainable thought that "most people hate speakers".  Never even occurred to me that it might be the case, but as I consider reactions to some of those I bring my system to, it does make sense.

The physical size of your speakers and how they present themselves in your room is a very valid concern.

My first pair of Klipsch speakers were Heresy's, and I wasn''t satisfied with the low end. In my search for lower reaching speakers, I tried Quartets and kg 4.2s. Both outperformed the Heresy's, but physically they stuck out like sore thumbs, only due to their size in comparison to the room they were in. Sonically, they were fine.

My solution was just as you're considering; I settled on a Klipsch passive kg sw subwoofer, and kept the Heresy's. While the kg sub doesn't play as low as what sounds like your are desiring, I would definitely recommend adding a sub combined with Heresy's.

I'm a big fan of SVS subwoofers, particularly their SB (sealed bass) models. Sealed bass subs are recommended for music because they have a tighter sound. The 13" cabinet of the SB-1000 would be unobtrusive in virtually any room. Tucked away, you'll have no clue that low end is coming from anywhere but the Heresy's.

UPDATE...

Well with the help of my two college age kids I was able to convince my wife that two Fortes is better than two Heresys + two subwoofers.  Along with that I listened to some Chainsmokers and Sylvan Esso last night when nobody was home to distract me and have decided I have enough subsonic bass to live with....at least for the time being.  So the Forte IIIs stay!  They truly are wonderful sounding and well built speakers.  Now to add the MC2105 and see if everything improves!

Thanks to all of you for your advice and insight.  I look forward to many years as a happy Klipsch owner now.

• Like 1

An 8" subwoofer isn't going to match the bass of the Fortes...the radiating area of an 8" woofer is 50.24, where the fortes are 226.08 with the two speakers and 12" woofers (452.16 with the addition of the passive radiator.) True bass requires massive air movements, and an 8" sub isn't going to do it.

What you'll get is more distortion and the illusion of bass as it makes additional distortions in the 60hz-ish range, making you think there is more bass.