DBX 4BX Mods

babadono

Hi All,

Starting the process of pulling apart my 2 dbx 4bx dynamic range expanders to add balanced I/O. Just wondering if there is any interest here of me taking pictures along the way. I went through these units a couple winters ago and changed out most of the opamps, VCAs, RMS level detectors and almost all the caps.

• Like 1

I'll raise my hand.

Heck, had I known someone around here was so handy/dandy, I might have submitted my (original series) 3bx for some attention prior to giving it to my wife's nephew.

Of all the goodies over the years, that (and it's brother, 5bx) had to rank amongst my most favorite items.

4 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

I don't think you will gain much by doing so other than being able to use them with pro gear.  They will also lose their value on the open market.

They're already hot rodded. I bought them off EBay a few years back. I have more time and money in them than the used units cost off of EBay. After all this is a hobby, right? I even got a hold of a guy in Australia that made new circuit boards for the remote control receiver board that actually work!  Why would switchable modes, balanced or unbalanced detract from their value? Just cuz its not stock?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work!  It's a shame the technology and company faded away I think it is very useful for a number of applications.  At one point I wanted to run expanders on all my HT channels but they want to see a wide open signal to operate correctly.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 8:16 AM, Frzninvt said:

Nice work!  It's a shame the technology and company faded away I think it is very useful for a number of applications.  At one point I wanted to run expanders on all my HT channels but they want to see a wide open signal to operate correctly.

Yes if I understand your point they need to be in the signal path where the level is constant/predictable. I mean pre main output volume/ fader.

I’m enjoying seeing your work on this unit..!!!👍

I owned one of the 4bx when they were first introduced and like you said I returned it 3 times to end themselves in the first year because the intermittent locking up remote board issues but they finally seemed to have solved it since I didn’t experience any more issues until I sold my whole system to a friend several years later and headed a different direction with my audio at the time.

The impact restoration along with the 4 band expansion when used intelligently brought the listening experience into another level of realism IMHO for all but the absolute best recordings and even those benefited from the impact restoration in the majority of recordings I owned at the time.

miketn

44 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Don't throw stones at me, but for those it will help, EASY CHEAP substitute that sounds pretty good?  Ashley XR-1001.  I have used it in a high end pro system with solid results. 

No stones but the Ashly unit looks to be an active crossover. The DBX unit is not a crossover at all, it is a dynamic range expander.

You are correct. I can't read I suppose.   Why would anyone want a dynamic range expandercin a hifI system..... This one I would love to hear thd response on.   We use gate and expanders in the studio but in a hifI system?   Eh i think it would degrade the audio more than "expand" it.   

It increases the dynamic range of the compressed signal that you get on most LPs and CDs. It has an adjustable expansion ratio from 1.0 to 1 up to 1.5 to 1 so nothing crazy. It also has an adjustable threshold so that signal above the threshold are given gain and below threshold are attenuated. In effect it makes louder passages louder and softer ones softer. Granted if you have a great recording it effects are not needed. In a studio I believe expanders are used for downward expansion only. I looked briefly for a expander plug in for a DAW that was not just downward expansion and came up empty. If you know of one please post a link.

Mostly we use gates when needed.   I guess "on paper" I understand.   We had primarily used outboard gear in the past.   I mean for budget gear that "expands" my question is, do the pros really outweigh the cons in terms of SQ and SNR?  I kind of doubt it.   Hearing is believing I guess.   

1 hour ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I owned one of the 4bx when they were first introduced and like you said I returned it 3 times to end themselves in the first year because the intermittent locking up remote board issues but they finally seemed to have solved it since I didn’t experience any more issues until I sold my whole system to a friend several years later and headed a different direction with my audio at the time.

The problem that I experienced (and the problem the guy in Australia) fixed was under compact florescent lighting(maybe LED also?)  the remote just did not work at all. All is well now. I should post pictures of the old circa 1978 technology board and the new one now that they're both out of the units and available.

The BEST plug-ins are SUPER expensive.  Think waves diamond bundle or better.   I'm not saying they don't have a place as they absolutely do, but for a hifI system?  I think they rarely if ever have a place.   Our extreme high end playback systems in the studio world would sound like garbage in the home.   We are listening for entirely different things and I can truly appreciate both side believe me.  I am out of the recording/engineering side for years now and am solely intersted in hifI now