Anybody here work on heavy equipment?

JL Sargent

I have a John Deere backhoe 310E that has a bazaar problem. Maybe somebody here works on this stuff. I posted this description on a heavy equipment forum also, but who knows.

I crank tractor and flip parking brake switch and parking brake releases in a second or two. I work for a while and parking brake light flashes when I change direction but neve actually applies it. This goes along for a while and while I'm traveling parking brake light will illuminate and tractor will lose power to move but parking brake is not really engaged. I can turn machine off and recrank, then tractor works like a new one and the only time I even see the parking brake light after that is when I turn it flip the switch for it. Any ideas? It's like I have a hydraulic problem that is completely rectified by cycling the tractor off and back on.

3 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

I have a John Deere backhoe 310E that has a bazaar problem. Maybe somebody here works on this stuff. I posted this description on a heavy equipment forum also, but who knows.

I crank tractor and flip parking brake switch and parking brake releases in a second or two. I work for a while and parking brake light flashes when I change direction but neve actually applies it. This goes along for a while and while I'm traveling parking brake light will illuminate and tractor will lose power to move but parking brake is not really engaged. I can turn machine off and recrank, then tractor works like a new one and the only time I even see the parking brake light after that is when I turn it flip the switch for it. Any ideas? It's like I have a hydraulic problem that is completely rectified by cycling the tractor off and back on.

Do you have the ability to do basic troubleshooting? General practice is to check voltage and continuity at the switch and work back. It sounds like something loose to me so get in there and look.

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Whatever turns you (it?) on.

🤪

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

General practice is to check voltage and continuity at the switch and work back.

I've tried to do that, but the problem is intermittent and seems impossible to duplicate. The wiring harness feeds 12V to a fuse, the switch, through the F-N-R selector and then to the parking brake solenoid to release the brake. The brake is spring applied so when you turn off tractor or temporarily lose power (or ground I suspect) it applies the parking brake.  Wish I could talk to somebody that works on John Deere Construction equipment.