Should I fulfull my lifelong dream to own Klipsch speakers?

elee532

I think I was about 18 years-old when I visited an audio dealer in upstate New York and heard Dark Side of the Moon on a pair of Klipschorn speakers. I was awestruck, and have lusted after a pair ever since. It's now 30+ years later, and Klipschorns still are not anywhere in my future. :-)

But, I'm wondering if maybe something like the Heresy or the Forte might fulfill this lifelong lust. Here's my current situation...

I've got a 5.2 system with two Salk SongTower speakers, a Salk SongCenter, B&W 686 for surrounds, and two sealed Rythmik subs. I've got a Denon AVR 3400H receiver acting as a pre-pro powered by an Emotiva XPA5 amp. My system is used about 75% for music and 25% for movies. My music listening is primarily 5.1 (SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray concerts) - mostly rock/pop.

I was thinking about something like 3 Heresy III speakers or 2 Forte III's with a Heresy III for the center. I'm open to other options. I'm also open to new or used.

Room is roughly 22' x 17'. Primary listening seat is about 13' from the front wall. I have a fair amount of flexibility in how far out I pull the speakers from the front wall. The FL speaker can't be more than about 1' away from the side wall, the FR speaker has no side wall. I'm limited to a speaker depth of about 13" in order for the center channel be behind my projector screen (I might have a few inches of wiggle room here).

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any Klipsch Heritage dealers within a 100 miles of me.

Any thoughts? Is Klipsch a good option for me? Which Klipsch?

Are they a good option for a surround setup, or are they intended for 2.0 setups?

Will they integrate well my subs?

Does the layout of my room pose any challenges I need to worry about?

Thanks much for taking the time to read my long-winded post!!

Although I'm not a fan of your electronics, I think a pair of fortes would be an excellent choice. Although with a room that size I can't imagine why you would not opt for the khorns, unless corners are an issue.

Either choice would benefit from a better amp, but that's just MHO.......

Shakey

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elee532 said:

I think I was about 18 years-old when I visited an audio dealer in upstate New York and heard Dark Side of the Moon on a pair of Klipschorn speakers. I was awestruck, and have lusted after a pair ever since

Welcome to the forum!

If there is any way to get Klipschorns, do it.

If not, really not, then three Forte IIIs would be great.  Two Forte IIIs and one Heresy III would be good, just not as good.   Be sure to experiment with toe in of the FL and FR speakers, and be sure to point the Heresy or Forte center right at your ears.

I have 5.1 with Klipschorns, and a horn loaded modified Belle Klipsch center, and movies sound great, if anything, better than in the theater.  I use Heresy IIs for surround, and they are good enough.

P.S., The QUAD SACD version of Dark Side of the Moon sounds great on my 5.1

• Like 2

If your buying new call Cory first believe me you will want to. He is a forum member and dealer. I dont see anything wrong with your electronics. we all have different stuff. I got K-Horns in smaller room than yours but only 5.0 system. I think you will be impressed with any of the Heritage. Here is Corys forum name metropolislakeoutfitters.   We heard all the new Heritage at Hope this spring and I love the look and sound of the new Forte and Heresy, We also heard new K-Horn is coming out. 

Heres old pic of my living room set up I have a center channel now and Integra AVR for the living room setup.

DSCF0462.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks @Shakeydal, @GaryC , and @ricktate,

Cost is the first barrier to Khorns. 🙂 Even if I had the money, there are room layout issues.

i would not be averse to a new amp at some point.

Given that I have two subs, would some of the low end horsepower of the Fortes be wasted?

Is version 3 of the Fortes the way to go?

Edited by elee532

Guest wdecho

LaScala's are a good option vs the K-horn. Used ones can be found around $1500 or less a pair. The only difference vs K-horn is less than an octave on the bottom end and a good sub will fill that spot. Same components as K-horn, only difference is bass horn folded twice instead of 3 times with K-horn. As close K-horn sound you will find in Klipsch speakers. None of the others will fill the same excitement you enjoyed the first time you heard the K-horns. 

Welcome!

At least you have heard Khorns. I bought a pair without ever hearing them. 14 years or so later I'm pretty happy I did. I'd look at it as life is short find a way to make the khorns happen. Where are you located? Is price an issue when looking at new Khorns? I can see that. If so and you are considering FIIIs and HIIIs (new I assume). I'm not up on current prices as I've got enough speakers but I'd guess a used pair of Khorns could be had for close to the price of 3X Forte III or H III. While I like and have a pair of La Scalas, they take up arguably more space, look uglier and are NOT khorns. If you have any reasonable start to a corner and are handy at all, or have some flexibility to reconfigure your room I'd start with Khorns in mind and settle for something else as a last resort. After all a "Lifelong Dream" is a pretty big deal.

38 minutes ago, wdecho said:

LaScala's are a good option vs the K-horn. Used ones can be found around $1500 or less a pair. The only difference vs K-horn is less than an octave on the bottom end and a good sub will fill that spot. Same components as K-horn, only difference is bass horn folded twice instead of 3 times with K-horn. As close K-horn sound you will find in Klipsch speakers. None of the others will fill the same excitement you enjoyed the first time you heard the K-horns. 

I'd have to agree. The OP was struck by the Klipschorn's fully horn loaded sound. Anything else is not the same. Pair the LaScala's with a sub, or his two, and be speechless. A bonus is, the OP might not have to travel the over 100 miles to buy them; check your local craigslist.

I agree with the above.

If it made that much of an impact on you.....  will you ever really be able to scratch that itch with something less, regardless of the name stamped on the front?

We all have choices & compromises & limitations....  I get that.

So if you are choosing to let something be between your goal....  if it's something you can overcome well.....then.....

If it is something that is insurmountable, well.....then.....

I personally drove 12 hours (1-way) to get mine.  Point being a 100 mile radius might not be big enough area.  What if someone had a pair 150 miles out?

If you're buying used, you can find them (at what I feel to be) a reasonable cost.  Yeah, a pair for $500 on the west coast isn't going to do you any good so you have to find/strike that balance.

That said, I think I sold my pair for around $1,800 and they (like most) had a beautiful walnut pattern on the front.

Others sell for more....and others for less.

Only you know how bad that itch.....itches..... and what it will take to scratch it.

Don't ask any of these guys on this forum though.....  they're all freaking crazy nuts....every last one of them.  Except of course, for me.

:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, elee532 said:

Cost is the first barrier to Khorns. 🙂 Even if I had the money, there are room layout issues.

See the following for a discussion on Khorn false corners (assuming that you're talking about not having available room corners).  Just remember that Paul Klipsch himself didn't have room corners in his listening room at home, and therefore used false corners:

EDIT: Another thread on false corners, this one being better than most on the "how to" portion:

10 hours ago, elee532 said:

My system is used about 75% for music and 25% for movies. My music listening is primarily 5.1 (SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray concerts) - mostly rock/pop.

The front left and right loudspeakers play a disproportionate role in the sound that you get from a 5.1/7.1, etc. surround sound setup.  I'd put my money there instead of using direct-radiating subwoofers with La Scalas.  La Scalas sound good, but their box-like footprint is about 50% larger than Khorns in corners and their midrange horn mouths aren't quite high enough (40-44 inches being the preferred height off the floor for listening while seated).  Khorn deep bass is superior to La Scalas+direct radiating subs.  That's a good portion of what you probably heard when you listened to Khorns many years ago--that clean, integrated deep bass.  Khorns can be had for $1500-$2000 a used pair in good condition.  Poor condition Khorns can be as little as $1k a pair, but usually require a fair amount of refurbishing, including new driver diaphragms and capacitors in the crossover networks.  There are a lot of Khorns out there to draw from on the used market--they've been making them since the early 1960s when they changed to the current K-400 midrange horn and tweeter above the K-400.

I also listen to a lot of surround sound music of the same formats as you mentioned on my setup (Klipsch Jubilees in the room corners--a.k.a., PWK's replacement for the Klipschorn).  I've found that the sound quality of 5.1 over stereo on these recordings is spectacular--much better than any movie theater that I can remember hearing and far better than any stereo setup.  It sounds like you will have arrived at your destination with them. 

Chris

I use to have LaScalas in same position as the K-Horns. My wife loved the extra room for Christmas decorations...lol.  Not ugly at all I dont think,,,,I have always loved the look.  Im sure you could find used Ks or Fortes or Heresy for a fraction of new....true they may need some upgrading like new Caps and diaphragm's. But do call Cory and get new prices from him before you decide.

IMAG0326.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wdecho said:

Yep! I fell into a pair of 1977 La Scalas last Fall off Craigslist/Electronics STL for $3000 and I bit the bullet and went for them, and I will never regret it! Monster sound, a little low on the lows but DEFINITELY fantastic sound! VERY efficient, I have a 105WPC spec. MC2105 McIntosh amp for them but that is way overkill! I probably run them at 1W or so, if that most times.

John Kuthe...

• Like 1

If you can't swing K-horns, La Scalas or Belles will be your next best choice.  La Scalas use the same drivers and horns as K-horns.  But with either you will need subwooferS to get the bottom octave the K-horn delivers. 

• Like 2