Should I fulfull my lifelong dream to own Klipsch speakers?

elee532

10 minutes ago, Emile said:

Haha ... just get "some," these will not be your "last" pair of Klipsch speakers. :D  You will be switching/trading/upgrading :)  

^^^^^^^^^^^ has a very valid point.  PWK designed every speaker to sound differently and they all do.  You'll find yourself liking this one yet this OTHER one too...  Then you'll have two pair in your "family."  They don't eat much it's just that first bite from your wallet!  Must be raining in Florida for @Emile to be here this early!  Morning my friend!  :)

• Haha 1

I don't know how far if at all you are willing to drive.  I do recall you stating that the room wouldn't work, size wise it sounds like it would work great, but we would have to see the setup.  Just for giggles, here is a pair of what seems to be a decent price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emile said:

Yeah ... like that :D  But then I'll have to send my wife "away." Hope you have extra room :D 

Don't send her my way!  I'm holding out for the cleaning lady!  Or you can pack and just have Cory ship them here.  Split the cost!  Wait!!!  What???  Sending your wife here might not be a bad idea afterall!!!  She'd get half of everything you have...  Can I get back to you on that???  Ohhhh,  the cleaning lady would follow I'm sure!!!  Something new and exciting a Twofer Thursday!!!  How much wine should I figure into her rent???   😎

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

How much wine should I figure into her rent???   😎

At least a bottle a day ... haha; count on the "good stuff" ... at least $30/bottle :D  (That's why I have to drink cheap wine :( )

PS ... I'll talk to our cleaning lady tomorrow :) 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Emile said:

At least a bottle a day ... haha; count on the "good stuff" ... at least $30/bottle :D  (That's why I have to drink cheap wine :( )

PS ... I'll talk to our cleaning lady tomorrow :) 

Starts crunching numbers...  Figures in half his net worth...  Cleaning lady's rent...  Value of services rendered in exchange...  I'll get back to you on that!  Now we better stay on topic!  lol

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2018 at 1:39 AM, elee532 said:

... there are room layout issues.

Given that I have two subs, would some of the low end horsepower of the Fortes be wasted?

Is version 3 of the Fortes the way to go?

In reverse order,

Yes version III of the Forte is the Way.  I hear it is significantly improved. 

If your subs are set to an 80 Hz crossover (about as high in frequency as you can go without the subs getting directional) the Fortes will take the part of the bass between 80 Hz and about the point the Fortes crossover to the midrange.  I believe the Forte III crosses over from woofers to mid at 650 Hz.  The the ceiling of the upper range of bass is controversial.  Subjectively, it depends on the instrument that is playing, and what it's overtone patterns are like.  The same note, i.e., with the same fundamental frequency, will sound different on the piano, tuba, Sousaphone, bass viol, timpani, etc.  Some of those sound "bassier" than others.   The "attack" of the bass is often about 100 Hz to my ears, once again "depending."  Individuals have argued that bass is below 200, 300, 400, etc.  There are no winners.  Prime speaker designers like Paul Klipsch and Rudy Bozak have crossed over their woofers as high as 400 Hz, 450 Hz, and 500 Hz.  While JBL, in the past, crossed over their theater woofers at 500 Hz. their, classic S8s and S8Rs crossed over the woofers at 800 Hz.

If I can find the three dimensional graph of kick drum (smallish bass drum) frequency response that Chris A posted, I'll post it for you.  It generates sound as high as 16K Hz (!), but it is of very short duration and almost certainly drowned out by other instruments.

EDIT/CORRECTION: In the original version of this post I said that the new Klipschorns had sealed backs and didn't need to be pressed tightly into corners.  That is incorrect.  Only the Anniversary Models have sealed backs.  Thanks to @ricktate for catching that.

• Like 1

Mike Spencer bought three Fortes, I think he is here on the forum, maybe hit him up and see what his long term impressions are.  I like three identical LCR's myself, but your TV will have to be elevated a little higher than a lot of people are comfortable with.  That's really the only down side.  Here's a visual since it's not a common sight.  

Image may contain: 1 person, screen, living room and indoor

44 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

You need a smaller screen.

Yeah, that exactly what I’m thinking all of a sudden. 😁

But seriously though, I don’t think I can do it. I just built that screen, and family is loving it for family move nights. They could care less about speakers. 

Maybe a baby step for now (Fortes) and in a few ears when I get the upgrade bug again I go all-in? 😁

• Haha 1

I'm assuming that is an acoustically transparent screen, right?  If not, instead of replacing it (way in the future) with a smaller screen, instead (way in the future) replace it with an AT screen, maybe an even bigger one, with all three speakers behind it.

Way in the future, now, there might be room for a 4 foot long wall dividing your movie area from the area with bookshelves.   Then all speakers would be behind a wider AT screen (2.35:1 instead of 1.78:1).  Even Klipschorns and a Belle or a La Scala.  Or even three Jubilees.   A pony wall would be O.K. if it would be strong enough to not wiggle.  Fill it with sand, after securing it to the floor with strong fasteners inside the wall?  My wife and I put in a new interior wall in two houses in a row, just for Klipschorns and good bass and good pressurization.  Veneered 3/4 ply on both sides of 2 x 6 studs, etc. in one house, and double 3/4 covered with 5/8 sheet rock (staggered seams) and plaster in the other.

• Like 2

So, to answer your earlier question, the Fortes (or even Klipschorns) wouldn't have their bass wasted, even though you have two subs.  Here is a kick drum -- a BASS drum.  Notice how much there is above the usual 80 Hz crossover to the sub.

image.png.42ae8bf21d143b9572e7364988f0f7fe.png

• Like 1