New to me Klipshorns

John Hannah

I just recently purchased a pair of Klipschorns! I am amazed at the quality of the sound they have in my current home setup powered by McIntosh amp and preamp. I have read through the codes for dating them but am a bit confused on the exact codes for my speakers. They  are KB OAK RAW 17 349598820 and  349598821. Thanks for the help and I am enjoying reading through the entries on the various forums.

Thanks for the information on the build date. I was thinking 34th week of 95, so your reply clears that up. They sound great with the McIntosh. The CDs I play exhibit have a mid range harshness that isn't present on the vinyl that I play. I just attribute this to the recording of CDs in general. I do adjust the treble down a bit to take the edge off. I can't believe I waited so long to have the Klipschorns in my lineup!

On 8/10/2018 at 3:50 PM, John Hannah said:

Thanks for the information on the build date. I was thinking 34th week of 95, so your reply clears that up. They sound great with the McIntosh. The CDs I play exhibit have a mid range harshness that isn't present on the vinyl that I play. I just attribute this to the recording of CDs in general. I do adjust the treble down a bit to take the edge off. I can't believe I waited so long to have the Klipschorns in my lineup!

That depends on your CD player.  Early ones did have a harshness, on everything.  Can you compare the same LP to its CD version? 

You should give 24/192 DVD-Audio a listen. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 4:05 PM, Don Richard said:

Klipsch and McIntosh are a good combination. Enjoy!!

Works for me!

I've got a McIntosh MC2105 OVERpowering my La Scalas,  and 2 biamped 15" subs to fill in the low bass when desired.

They ROCK!  And everything else too! Definitely the best system I've ever enjoyed!

John Kuthe...

On 8/10/2018 at 2:50 PM, John Hannah said:

Best upgrade you can do is a GOOD set of speakers, and looks like you now have THE BEST! Or close to it! Congrats!

John Kuthe...

Yes, I played some vinyl and they aren't as harsh sounding as some CDs . I will just adjust the treble on the McIntosh when the harshness appears on some CDs. I'm hearing definition on albums and CDs that I have never heard before until the  Klipschorns are cranked. Yes I m very pleased with them!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 1:55 PM, John Hannah said:

Yes, I played some vinyl and they aren't as harsh sounding as some CDs . I will just adjust the treble on the McIntosh when the harshness appears on some CDs. I'm hearing definition on albums and CDs that I have never heard before until the  Klipschorns are cranked. Yes I m very pleased with them!

Vinyl players often will sound better and more musical than CD player -- but it depends on the quality of the CD player.  One very helpful guru once told me that equivalent quality costs more in CD than in LP players, and I believe that's true.   It took me a lot of juggling of components and accessories to get equal sound quality between my LP and my CD players.  Solo strings, especially solo cello sound, were the toughest challenge, so I especially played string quartet and Bach solo cello sonata movements in trying different CDP components.

It is NOT a matter of only adjusting treble controls!  Just equalizing the amount of irritating graininess between the sources is a job in its own right, and that is not basically a treble issue.  However, the job is far from impossible, and I think you have to find the "right stuff."  I suggest trying a tube CD player if you have a chance.  System synergy counts for a lot.

DAC quality is very important.  Get a really good DAC if you have a choice.

I am currently using a McIntosh MVP841 CD player with a McIntosh C39 pre amp and McIntosh 7106 amp. I tried  a newer Sony CD player and the harshness is about the same. Vinyl does sound better playing clean albums is a challenge. Thanks for the suggestion of  a tube CD player.

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2018 at 11:51 AM, John Hannah said:

I just recently purchased a pair of Klipschorns! I am amazed at the quality of the sound they have in my current home setup powered by McIntosh amp and preamp. I have read through the codes for dating them but am a bit confused on the exact codes for my speakers. They  are KB OAK RAW 17 349598820 and  349598821. Thanks for the help and I am enjoying reading through the entries on the various forums.

ttiwwop.gif