Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
John Hannah

New to me Klipshorns

Recommended Posts

I just recently purchased a pair of Klipschorns! I am amazed at the quality of the sound they have in my current home setup powered by McIntosh amp and preamp. I have read through the codes for dating them but am a bit confused on the exact codes for my speakers. They  are KB OAK RAW 17 349598820 and  349598821. Thanks for the help and I am enjoying reading through the entries on the various forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like they were built on the 349th day of 1995. Enjoy the speakers and post pictures! Welcome to the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the information on the build date. I was thinking 34th week of 95, so your reply clears that up. They sound great with the McIntosh. The CDs I play exhibit have a mid range harshness that isn't present on the vinyl that I play. I just attribute this to the recording of CDs in general. I do adjust the treble down a bit to take the edge off. I can't believe I waited so long to have the Klipschorns in my lineup!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 3:50 PM, John Hannah said:

Thanks for the information on the build date. I was thinking 34th week of 95, so your reply clears that up. They sound great with the McIntosh. The CDs I play exhibit have a mid range harshness that isn't present on the vinyl that I play. I just attribute this to the recording of CDs in general. I do adjust the treble down a bit to take the edge off. I can't believe I waited so long to have the Klipschorns in my lineup!

 

That depends on your CD player.  Early ones did have a harshness, on everything.  Can you compare the same LP to its CD version? 

 

You should give 24/192 DVD-Audio a listen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 4:05 PM, Don Richard said:

Klipsch and McIntosh are a good combination. Enjoy!!

Works for me!

I've got a McIntosh MC2105 OVERpowering my La Scalas,  and 2 biamped 15" subs to fill in the low bass when desired.

They ROCK!  And everything else too! Definitely the best system I've ever enjoyed!

John Kuthe...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 2:50 PM, John Hannah said:

Thanks for the information on the build date. I was thinking 34th week of 95, so your reply clears that up. They sound great with the McIntosh. The CDs I play exhibit have a mid range harshness that isn't present on the vinyl that I play. I just attribute this to the recording of CDs in general. I do adjust the treble down a bit to take the edge off. I can't believe I waited so long to have the Klipschorns in my lineup!


Best upgrade you can do is a GOOD set of speakers, and looks like you now have THE BEST! Or close to it! Congrats!

John Kuthe...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I played some vinyl and they aren't as harsh sounding as some CDs . I will just adjust the treble on the McIntosh when the harshness appears on some CDs. I'm hearing definition on albums and CDs that I have never heard before until the  Klipschorns are cranked. Yes I m very pleased with them!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2018 at 1:55 PM, John Hannah said:

Yes, I played some vinyl and they aren't as harsh sounding as some CDs . I will just adjust the treble on the McIntosh when the harshness appears on some CDs. I'm hearing definition on albums and CDs that I have never heard before until the  Klipschorns are cranked. Yes I m very pleased with them!

Vinyl players often will sound better and more musical than CD player -- but it depends on the quality of the CD player.  One very helpful guru once told me that equivalent quality costs more in CD than in LP players, and I believe that's true.   It took me a lot of juggling of components and accessories to get equal sound quality between my LP and my CD players.  Solo strings, especially solo cello sound, were the toughest challenge, so I especially played string quartet and Bach solo cello sonata movements in trying different CDP components.

 

It is NOT a matter of only adjusting treble controls!  Just equalizing the amount of irritating graininess between the sources is a job in its own right, and that is not basically a treble issue.  However, the job is far from impossible, and I think you have to find the "right stuff."  I suggest trying a tube CD player if you have a chance.  System synergy counts for a lot.

 

DAC quality is very important.  Get a really good DAC if you have a choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently using a McIntosh MVP841 CD player with a McIntosh C39 pre amp and McIntosh 7106 amp. I tried  a newer Sony CD player and the harshness is about the same. Vinyl does sound better playing clean albums is a challenge. Thanks for the suggestion of  a tube CD player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 11:51 AM, John Hannah said:

I just recently purchased a pair of Klipschorns! I am amazed at the quality of the sound they have in my current home setup powered by McIntosh amp and preamp. I have read through the codes for dating them but am a bit confused on the exact codes for my speakers. They  are KB OAK RAW 17 349598820 and  349598821. Thanks for the help and I am enjoying reading through the entries on the various forums.

 

 

ttiwwop.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...