Turn Table in Rack?

rplace

My gut says no, but what are everyone's thoughts on a turntable mounted on a sliding shelf in a pro rack mounted to my wall? Right now I have all my HT gear in a rack on the right wall of the room and my 2-channel stuff along the back wall. Circumstances are dictating that all the gear needs to be closer together. I was pondering the idea of putting the record spinner on one of those shelves that slides out. Out for playback in when not in use so it is safely tucked away. Not too worried about isolation I can handle that. More concerned about consistent leveling. 

Anyone done this with success?

11 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

Not that I'm an expert, but I would think you would be fine doing this as long as you got very strong high quality drawer slides.

Yea, I think that is covered the ones I'm seeing are rated at 50 pounds and more. My table is stout but not super heavy.

I am doing this myself with my Dual 1019.  The server rack I am using has levelers, I used some draw slides from Menards or lowes.  I adjusted them for the table to be level when it was extended.  Mine sits on a concrete floor, which may help.   Let me dig around for pictures.

My rack is in the wall and immovable. I'm stuck with whatever it is front to back and side to side. Figure I can level the TT on the shelf in the extended position. I'' try and dig up a picture.

If the only two options where putting the table on a sliding shelf in a rack or running it with very long RCA cables I'd think the shelf is the better option. By long I mean 10-12 feet. However there is a phono pre so the long RCA cables would be at line level not phono pickup output. Thoughts???

Obviously I'll need to move some amps around.

RoomRight (Medium).jpg

• Like 1

I don't EVEN want to get into the mess I'm gonna be in soon, so looking at options here.  Picture windows suck when you have Levolor's laying here in the box waiting to go up after I finish up painting this room.  THEN I have to do something w/the Linn table I have.  Wall mount isn't gonna cut it, my movable stack rack is too large and unstable with everything out of it.  Down the road!

• Haha 1

@rplace ... WOW ... impressed! :D  FYI, have run 10' RCA cables from pre-outs before w/o any problems.  But, think a slide out is the way to go :)  Used to have a couple of (industrial) racks like that in my office with IBM Netfinity servers ... all were on slides for easy access ... and they were 50+ lbs each.  As I said, my TT is on slides ... but just in a cheap Ikea cabinet :) 

RoomRight (Medium).jpg

I would think that when you installed your cabinet, you made it a point to make sure it was plum and level.  If that is the case, then I don't think it would be to complex to level the sliding table when extended.  Only problem I could see and this would be the same for a wall mounted shelf, is when someone bumps the wall.  Depending how sturdy the wall and cabinet are mounted, it may not be an issue.

here is mine extended

1514687234836860390652.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Moving pictures and a moving turntable, nice!

I'm sure the rack is close to level and plumb like you suggest. However no way to alter it at this point...at least not in a practical sense. I'm not too worried about bumps. Only 1 or 2 people most of the time and dedicated to music/movies. No casual listening. Maybe this is not as bad as I thought it would be.

• Like 2

The topic of turntable leveling reminded me of my 1962 Empire 398 with its original 980 arm, which will play equally well in virtually any orientation (subject to retaining its very heavy platter in its plinth receptacle).  The picture below is no joke:

upside-down-phonograph.jpg

Being able to orient the table in any direction that will preclude the effects of structural vibrations and jarring in the horizontal axis is a real handy thing to have.  You can turn it on its side to save shelf space if you wish, too.  It doesn't care.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 10:40 AM, The Dude said:

I would think that when you installed your cabinet, you made it a point to make sure it was plum and level.  If that is the case, then I don't think it would be to complex to level the sliding table when extended.  Only problem I could see and this would be the same for a wall mounted shelf, is when someone bumps the wall.  Depending how sturdy the wall and cabinet are mounted, it may not be an issue.

here is mine extended

1514687234836860390652.jpg

I'd also consider low frequency at higher volumes and the effect it has on sheetrock. That will probably transfer to a wall mounted rack and straight into your TT as well.