Vintage Telefunken Stereo Console

Emile

The Interface Ds are quite possibly the finest speaker I’ve ever heard ( acoustic memory being short and all). I’m surprised no one has developed speakers along this concept since. They were in K Horn country for sure. My Ohms also direct bass energy downwards through the column to a vent underneath. Works like a charm and in my room has pretty much made a sub unneccesary. .

• Like 2

Wow, they don’t turn up very often, especially not in such great condition. Were I in your neck of the woods with a few spare bucks I’d buy those in a New York minute. One of my dreams/goals is to get a pair sometime before I shuffle off this mortal coil. The finest speaker EV ever made IMO.

• Haha 1

They were very heavy and built for the ages. Back in 83 I bought a pair of the Interface Cs, the Ds being out of my range. They were quite expensive at the time. My late cousin Paul bought a pair of the Ds from the same fellow I purchased by Cs from. A very unique and eccentric Yellowknifer named Gordon Clee. He ran a funky audio video shop out of the log cabin he lived down in Old Town. He carried EV speakers, both home audio and pro, mics, Proton TVs, Nakamichi and NAD. His main revenue stream was PA rentals and operations. Most bands and events would hire him and his EV progear. We got together every Saturday night for about eight years taking turns buying a bottle of scotch which we would drink whilst listening to tunes in his showroom/living room. People would drop buy for a drink or two while getting out of the cold on their way up to new town where the bars and pubs were. His wood stove was always blazing. He had been an English professor for a time at the University of Toronto but hated acedemic life. Wrote a lot of articles for a lot of magazines. Sadly he is now long gone ( he was in his fifties back then, I was in my early twenties). Learned a lot about audio and was introduced to Jazz which became a lifelong passion from him. My cousin Paul perished in a home fire in the early 90s and his Ds were also lost in the fire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I scored an Ampex A423 years ago, It was full of cool tube gear. The preamp and tuner share a faceplate but are seperate units. The 6V6 PP amps are developed specifically for the JBL LE8 which were run full range. This is the one unit I could not gut but plan to restore. It is one of my favorite scores. I have since found another in the neighborhood just like it would love to buy it. love these consoles.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

• Like 4

OK; made the seller an offer to drop it off at my house :)  Probably will replace the amp with a Marantz ... now looking for better speakers.  No clue what will fit ... thought about my KP-3002 speakers, but think the 15" woofer will be a problem (even if I put it on the bottom) :(  Think 8" woofer will fit on the front panel ... made a local guy an offer on a set of KI-102's but he wanted "too much."  Any suggestions?  See pic below ... just no clue about the "real size." :D  Total height is 31 inch ... so roughly it looks like speaker panel is only 8 inches tall ... yes; we are "crazy." :D 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I see tubes! Very cool, and you can send the electronics too me if you are going to put something else in it. I'll even pay for shipping. 😀

Cool;  seller "never plugged it in." So pretty sure it is "dead."  He is going to deliver it next Tuesday ... will let you know :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

OK; follow-up ... offered a member $150 for RF-3 speakers and crossovers (as listed) ... think they will fit ???? Any thoughts? If I put in a Marantz 2252B or something else; also have an extra Kenwood KR-4070 (with these speakers), think it might be awesome :) 

But ... not sure ...do I have to make a "sealed" cabinet for those speakers, or can I leave them "open"????? No clue ... comments please :D

Cheers, Emile

37 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I believe the rf-3 components would need to be is an enclosure similar to their factory build

Bruce, thanks. Yes, that would be optimum ... original internal volume of the RF-3's each is about 2.3 cuft.  Would probably work on the left side (see pic below), but the right side is much smaller - prob about 1.3 cuft.

So, 2 questions ... if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate them :D 

1. How about leaving the back open as in the pic ...

2. Or make it a sealed enclosure as those are usually 30-60% smaller?

Thanks, Emile

add-on ... cannot remove the shelves in the lower right compartment. Upper one is extra space underneath receiver and bottom shelf is a hiding space for the front panel when "open."

• Like 1

Hello,

In reference to the Garage Sale thread about this console, this seems like a logical place to offer up questions, and "what-if's" in lieu of the sellers spot....

so, about those two shelves under the receiver section.... they look like a removal would only make it matching to the other side, therefore, that brings about a suggestion or two forth-coming.

If removing those shelves can happen, then you could build some angle mounts, to garner a 15-22.5 degree positioning toward your listening spot....  reference the idea about a bean bag chair, and the sound experience happening down below your knee's....

That's all for now...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Previous:

Greetings neighbor! Well now, you are versatile, more so than me, maybe, from what have seen of you. Marvel was making a comment for consideration and not necessarily saying mission impossible. Will leave it to him to clarify that. Had considered it and another fact about the 8 ohm compatability of the amp(not a prob likely) you are trying to use imbedded in the console. Would it be too much to understand, you have actually heard already what you have in the way of sound now? That is, have you gently powered up the tubes with a variac, or other device to not shock the system? Or has it been played fairly recently? Do not want to say too much but, there are things to consider. There may similar volume, read space to the RF-3 speakers, on one side, and the other. The dimensions of the speakers, I have not at hand at the moment. If you decide to go ahead with the project, one consideration is your capability to overcome the obstacles. If it were me, I would proceed with what exists now, and decide on the tweaks as you go. Also, if the volume is right or close enough on one side, or even more than needed, you could port between the two sides to average out. Another thing is the RF-3's are a rear ported speaker. Before I ported though, I would listen to the sealed version to determine if there are already existing leaks in the console. No, I would take it as it comes as opposed to making all the decisions beforehand, like designing a speaker by the math...blueprint.

Good neighbor...:)

• Like 1

• Emile changed the title to Vintage Telefunken Stereo Console