Vintage Telefunken Stereo Console

Emile

I have (had?) a set of plans for a folded-horn, down-firing (sub) woofer which MIGHT actually be able to fit into Emile's console lower section, but would likely need to be built into it.  It would require that an opening be cut into the bottom panel of the console body for the down-firing part of the cabinet.

This horn woofer is designed to actually BE a console-like body on legs to allow for its down-and-forward firing from beneath the console body.  It is also designed to have a pair of satellite speakers(for the upper ranges of frequencies) either atop it or to either side of it....with maybe a television atop it.

It is an interesting design, which bifurcates and then comes back together for its final downward-and-forward horn lens flare...with a "V"-shaped reflector between the bottom panel of the console body and the floor, itself.  I have no idea how it actually will perform, but it is fired by an 8" cone speaker pushing through a compression slot just prior to its horn lens pathway bifurcating.

I will try to find those plans, but I fear they are on a thumb drive at home, and I will need to go thru them ALL to find those plans.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I have (had?) a set of plans for a folded-horn, down-firing (sub) woofer which MIGHT actually be able to fit into Emile's console lower section, but would likely need to be built into it.  It would require that an opening be cut into the bottom panel of the console body for the down-firing part of the cabinet.

Thanks a lot! Cool ... but don't make it a "job" looking for it :)  Buying the speakers/horns from a pair of KF-3's ... think it will work :D 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 10:03 PM, Marvel said:

I see tubes! Very cool, and you can send the electronics too me if you are going to put something else in it. I'll even pay for shipping. 😀

@Marvel... If you are really, really serious, let me know.  Amp is a Telefunken Concerto Hi-Fi 5296 Wk. FYI ... just shipped my VTA ST70 tube amp to @Nositri and it took me a day to pack it properly.  This amp is even worse to pack.  Haha ... going to cost you at least a $50 bottle of wine :D  But these seem to go for $150-200 on FleaBay :D 

Faceplate seems 100% ... no clue about the rest of the amp or the tubes ... noticed some fuses were removed (2nd pic, top right). 

Rough estimate for shipping is $50+ bucks as you are in GA; not too far from FL :) 

More (re speakers) on next entry.

Cheers, Emile 

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

add-on ... no clue about the "X"

OK; continuing on this project ... yes, I'm crazy ... just like all of you Klipsch "nuts." Going to replace the tube amp with a vintage SS amp.  Have a spare Kenwood KR-4070, or can get a Yamaha CR-1040 (without a case) for cheap ($90) locally. Any thoughts?  Think (Haha) I can take out the old tube amp and use a piece of wood (no clue what type of wood) to put this Yamaha in.

Also got a set of RF-3 speakers from @falcon20x (thank you SIR for shipping these).  Have only 7 inches for these 8 inch woofers, so will have to "angle" these somehow.

Fun problems :D  Going to start the wine now :) 

Cheers, Emile

CBA0A565-E093-4A86-8482-FF0119206BBC.jpeg

• Like 2

TIP for restoration.  This cabinet had many (small) white blotches on it.  Tried the internet solutions ... toothpaste, vinegar, etc .. nothing worked. Also had some glue residue (assume from "sale stickers") .  Used Goo-be-Gone ... awesome ... cleared up all the white spots :D  Have to make it look decent before the wife comes home from a business trip ... if it looks "bad" she'll have me take it to the "dump." OK; 2nd glass of wine :) 

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... 3 hours later; spots are back :( but do look better ... trying again :) 

Add-on #2 ... looks good for a couple of hours ... then lousy again ... OK; NOT a good tip :( 

• Like 1

• Emile changed the title to Vintage Telefunken Stereo Console
23 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

You're gonna have more wine in it than it's worth I'm thinkin!

Yeah ... getting close already :D  Seemed like such a good idea ... Jeez ... looks like they build these old consoles "around" the amp ... another day and if not successful it's going to get chopped up :)  

• Haha 1