Vintage Telefunken Stereo Console

Emile

On 9/25/2018 at 6:07 PM, YK Thom said:

Glad it sounds great.

Nah ... guess I got screwed by one of these "offer-up" sellers.  Low hum on aux and tape inputs :( 

So; got another one ... a Marantz 2238B off FleaBay. Not "pristine," but the cabinet hides most of it anyway :) And it looks better than the "previous" one.

2 (outer) knobs missing :( Anyone have any spares??

Thanks, Emile

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Haha ... maybe (?) I got lucky.  Sold my "bad" Marantz 2226B for $25. So; can buy more stuff ... haha.

Jeez; lost 2 arms and 2 legs in the market today :(  Guess I'm not buying a new Mercedes :( 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/4/2018 at 7:53 PM, Emile said:

Haha ... maybe (?) I got lucky.  Sold my "bad" Marantz 2226B for $25. So; can buy more stuff ... haha.

Jeez; lost 2 arms and 2 legs in the market today :(  Guess I'm not buying a new Mercedes :( 

Cheers, Emile

OK; responding to my own post :D Yes; crazy people talk to themselves. :) 

First ... after losing both arms and legs, lost my head in the market Monday ... and my "balls" Tuesday :(  Little bit "up" today.

Got the Marantz 2238B today.  Awesome with the RF-3 horns and woofers in my vintage cabinet.  Got it off FleaBay and it seems to be working properly.  Seller "bought" my "bad" 2226B for $25 plus free shipping on the one I bought from him.  Cost me $35 to ship it, so lost (only) about $50 (complex math ... don't worry about it.).  Haha; much better than I usually do :D  Trying it with a good Chardonnay next. :D 

Cheers, Emile 

• Like 3

OK; sure everyone is tired of my little project ... but just in case haha :D

Got a Marantz 6100 TT for this ... :( had to saw 1/8" off the front and the back to make it fit with a bit of clearance.  Jeez ... taped it up, got my table saw out, etc. ... nah; my saw doesn't "extend" enough from the table to saw this damn thing.  OK; off to a professional cabinet place ... done; great!

Fits nicely ... but "original" platform is "too high" for this TT :( OK; ripped it out ... off to my wood place to buy another panel.  Just sawed it up ... looking respectable :) Have to put some Danish oil on it to make it match.

Pics will follow when I glue it into place.

HAHA ... just posted this in case someone else has a brilliant idea like this.  Lots more work than anticipated. :D 

Driving me to drink ... Cheers, Emile

Haha ... turntable is in place :D  Looks pretty nice; can't even see that I chopped it up."

IMG_2165.JPG

But ... L/R is out of whack :(  Tried different cartridges ... my Ortofon 2M Red seems to works best ... OK; will start plying with the skating force :( 

Time for wine :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Haha 1

OK; got $800 into this :)  Would I do it again?  No, probably not, but it was "fun."  Wife doesn't like it, but it is fun hearing visitors say "my parents used to have a console like this ... sounds awesome." And with the RF-3 speakers, Marantz 2238B, Oppo CD/DVD player and Marantz 1600 TT, I think it sounds better than many $1000+ (modern) systems. :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

hey there telefunken lover,s. just took my telefunken console montclair mx out of storage and the radio still work,s but the record player need,s attention. i bought my console for a restore project, and yes the teak grabbed my attention. the inside cabinet is like new and it came with the operating manual and it has a pe 3010 record player. the radio has a SW1 and SW2 button,s that im not familiar with.if my restore project doesn,t work out i will then gut it and turn it into a beer cooler....german beer of course.