Need help regarding crossover removal and capacitors replacement

parlophone1

I had a pair of Qb's in 1979 and Qjr's later.

The tweeter can be removed from the front, if he is broken look carefully to the foil inside, you will see an etched coil on the foil.

If the coil is burned out you can disassemble the tweeter and repair the coil with a soldering iron.

I remember doing that once, re-assembling the tweeter was quitte difficult because of the strong magnets.

The (foam) surrounds of the woofer of the Qjr were indeed decomposed about 15 years later

On 8/10/2018 at 9:49 AM, Deang said:

Ya, me too, but it took ten years to convince people that new capacitors make a difference - I don't think this crowd is quite ready for the resistor thing yet.

Why not... 

vishay-foil-resistors-z-foil-var.jpg?la=

I finally found the time to take out the tweeters from the speaker boxes. Unhooked the wires an measured both drivers with ohm meter. One driver measures 3,8 ohms and the other 3,3 ohms. The later always had a bit more his when turntable preamp was on. This one also has a wire clips a bit more loose than the other driver. 

These measurements are in line with some comments on other forums indicating that drivers should be OK.

Regardless of this I will try to find new fuses for the tweeters as this could be the next possible cause for tweeter performing badly. 

31 minutes ago, parlophone1 said:

I will try to find new fuses for the tweeters as this could be the next possible cause for tweeter performing badly. 

The only way a fuse will affect tweeter performance is if there is excessive resistance (from corrosion or bad connections) through the fuse holder.

That is also my opinion.

I could have tried to clean up the fuse contacts and see if there would be any change. I don't know if it would be possible for me to find the AGC 1 1/4 fuses (metal thread in glass).

However, I will follow the advice of the owners of the speakers and install 0,75A - 1A fuse instead of 1,25 as specified by Infinity. The originals seem to cause too many burn out tweeters.

On 10/2/2018 at 11:28 AM, Deang said:

Tweeters are sometimes damaged, and the listener is unaware. It's territory that comes with aged induced hearing loss, etc.

I bought a nice pair of used speakers. Met half way on the interstate. Owner said he was selling because they were “rolled off” on top. When I hooked up no highs. Both Dynaudio D-28 tweeters were dead. The crossovers were first order so the mids ran a little higher than normal.

Found a NIB pair and they sang like birds again. 

I do not know how long the previous owner listened with no tweeters. Suspect an oscillating amp killed them. Those D-28 tweeters could handle some power, even with first order crossovers at 4K.

Most tweeters are fried by low power amps. The hearing starts to go, and the person has to keep turning it up to get the same effect. It doesn't take much in the way of clipping to take out a tweeter -- especially the vintage ones.

I hear you.

Could be my hearing, not excluding that yet. But another pair of ears familiar with how the speakers sounded confirmed what I hear now.

Until running some additional targeted tests (which I am unaware of except the one ChrisA mentioned above) I tend to believe its not the tweeters. I will investigate further. 

I had the speakers hooked up to a new push-pull tube amp rated 2x100W for a couple of years now. This should by any standards be enough. Additionally,  I never play loud. My volume knob never passed 12 o'clock position, most of the time being at 8-9 o'clock position. They worked fairly good all that time, certainly better than after I messed with crossover.

Yesterday I cleaned the fuse contacts with isopropyl alcohol and replaced 1,25A fuses with new 0,5A fuses. My ears say nothing much changed. However, lower rated fuses should be safer for tweeters.

So, without further testing I tend to blame myself and my work on crossovers.