Tube recommendations on a budget

joessportster

I need to get a back up quad of 6sn7 tubes, I also need to get a gz334 rectafier I need to keep the total reasonable thinking 50.00 max on the gz34 and maybe 100.00 on the 6sn7. Would like to find american made 

I have been outta the loop on these tubes for a while and have no idea of the sleepers / giant killers people are finding. I wish I could afford the best but Life is what it is.

Suggestions ?

@jimjimbo sold me some vintage 6SN7s along with a couple of odds and ends. Pretty good guy to deal with. I also got a pair of Ken-Rad 6SN7s on ebay from overseas. They seem to be well liked for the bass and I agree. I think I got them cheap due to others being scared off by the Netherlands seller but I got them faster than I do from Amazon refusing to be a Prime member.

EDIT @KeithMcGowan and I have been swapping some tubes he is pretty well versed and has a pile I think. Not sure if he is selling but another great guy on the forum to deal with.

Guest wdecho

Russian NOS 6H8C equivalent of 6SN7. Excellent sounding for me, better than new production ones. Comparable if not better than the many used old stock ones I have stashed. Cheap on Ebay as well, stock up now before they are gone guys. 

19 hours ago, wdecho said:

Russian NOS 6H8C equivalent of 6SN7. Excellent sounding for me, better than new production ones. Comparable if not better than the many used old stock ones I have stashed. Cheap on Ebay as well, stock up now before they are gone guys. 

I am looking & thinking about buying 1 of the large lots of 50 - 100 tubes is there anything in particular to look for, OTK or ?  They dont offer up dates so much and it seems like China has more to offer now than Russia, Price is already going up on just a pair. I keep seeing 40.00 for a pair. would any of the following be a good choice ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Package-with-30-vacuum-tubes-6N8S-6H8C-6SN7-CCCP-NOS-great-condition-1967/163194867473?hash=item25ff2c0f11%3Ag%3AdvIAAOSw7yZbPraJ&_sop=10&_sacat=0&_nkw=6h8c+tube&_from=R40&rt=nc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/85x-Vintage-Radio-Tubes-6N8S-6H8C-1578-6SN7-NEW-Same-Date/163128786114?hash=item25fb3bbcc2%3Ag%3Ar~YAAOSwWDRbOUdH&_sop=10&_sacat=0&_nkw=6h8c+tube&_from=R40&rt=nc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50x-6N8S-1578-6SN7-ECC32-USSR-Double-TRIODE-NEW-NOS-MATCHED-DATE-BOXED/302537724718?hash=item4670a7532e&_sop=10&_sacat=0&_nkw=6h8c+tube&_from=R40&rt=nc

Guest wdecho
Guest wdecho

Since we were on the subject of Russian tubes I got these in the mail today. They were made in 1967 for the military by Ulyanov, Ulyanovsk:  They are GU50 radar tubes many are using for amplifiers especially the Chinese. The Chinese are making them again under the designation of FU50. I assembled a Chinese kit that used these tubes and it sounds really good for what I paid but the components are suspect. The iron seems to be fine but I am planning on building another one with these tubes with some slight changes to the schematic and with Edcor and Hammond iron with Mouser components. Might spit the PS section as well for better channel separation. The Chinese advertise they amplifier as sounding like a 300B, it does not at least my kit does not but it does have a very, very good sound. I believe the entire kit was like $250 but one has to work just from the schematic. These tube seem heavier and with thicker glass than the Russian OTK tubes I am now running. The FU50 tubes that came with the kit are in a box somewhere. 

Excuse the text change but as many are aware if you copy and paste from somewhere else our forum does not resort back to the original italics and size. Almost forgot the best part, $20 shipped for all 4 of them. 

P1030798.JPG

When I've had tube questions, I've always been very happy with Hi-Test Guitars.  https://www.hitestguitars.com/

I'm not affiliated in any way.  Just a happy customer.  He's very knowledgeable and can definitely set you up with a good set of tubes in your budget.  He always has a lot in stock.

Just a thought,

Jon