Larger horn adapter

Dave A

Great googly-moogly what the heck is THAT!  I would say it is the lens for things like Fortes and Chorus and Cornwall II's among others. This one has clearances inside the cabinet for a slewpot full of drivers and making clamp plates to fit various ones TBA.

DSC_0003.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

OK just got in some Faital drivers which I have not had curves run on but thought to mention them as added to the list of drivers that fit here.  The Faital HF102 will fit the large and small clamp plates. The Faital HF100 will only fit the larger clamp plates due to the 4" diameter. On some of these drivers you will have to assemble the driver to the clamp plate and then reach inside the cabinet and assemble the plate to the body of the horn. Many drivers will fit the cabinet space but not go through the factory cut out on the motor board.  At PE the Faital HF102 is $77.00 and the HF100 is $59.00.  All horns going out from now on will have the capability of mounting these drivers.

Faital HF100 Large horn.jpg

Faital HF100 on large driver.jpg

Faital HF102.jpg

Faital HF100.jpg

• Like 1

I will have those answers soon as a set of each is going away for testing tomorrow. Just got them in yesterday and I will probably put them in a set of Chorus I's I have here for an initial unscientific listening session tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 3:38 PM, Panelhead said:

Dave,

sonically how do these compare to the B&C DE-120?

OK I stuck these in my Chorus I's and had a listen last night. The only other mod was the crossovers have been re-capped.

The HF102 has a ring neodymium magnet in it and is 107db. I did not run this very long so i can't speak to break in time nor what the difference might be. Smaller than the HF100 and DE120 it bolted on and fit right in no problems. It was fairly sibilant and more so than the DE120 but using EQ and lowering the 2-4khz range seemed to quiet the harsh cymbals down and made things like Violins much better.  In every speaker I have used the DE120 in only the Forte II needed an L-PAD. I can see that more might need it with the HF102. For my purposes I think that EQ tinkering and break in will solve the problem. After breaking in the DE120 shed it's shrillness and was very pleasing and it is probable the HF102 will do the same thing. It is the same price basically as the DE120 and it is small enough to be used on the K-77 replacement tweeter.

The HF100 is larger and will only work here with the larger MAHL horn lens. It will require that you take the mid horn out and access the back side of the tweeter since you will have to screw the clamp plate on after the horn lens is screwed to the motorboard. This thing is $59 and sounded much better than the DE120 or HF102 right out of the box. While I have also heard the DE110 and DE10 I did not do so side by side like I did with the HF102, HF100 and DE120 last night and memory is not good enough to make a comment on. I am really impressed with this one and expect it to be perhaps the best one to be tested yet. So lets see, cheaper and better so far and not broken in to boot. If this improves as much as the DE120's have after breaking in it will be the one I recommend in the future. I would have thought that the better 108db efficiency would have made the potential shrill problem worse but perhaps that has more to do with magnet types. I intend to leave these in for a while as I like them a lot. Who knows I may change my EBay and Craigslist ads to have the Faitals in them and not the DE120's.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2018 at 3:38 PM, Panelhead said:

Dave,

sonically how do these compare to the B&C DE-120?

Update on these. I have been running some DE10's on my Chorus I test speaker and these are going to be my new go to drivers. They are clearly better than the DE120's and $60 a set cheaper to boot. These DE10's are superior to all the others tested so far by Claude and my ears for the large MAHL's.