New Rack for the Cary 45SE and a lot more :)

joessportster

Went to Habitat for Humanity looking around for a door,  saw a heavy large rack setting in the middle of the store empty (I had seen it there b-4 always with product stacked on it) I thought I know they wont sell but what the hell wont hurt to ask. The young lady working says she does not think it is for sale but leave my name and number and she will ask the manager. In my pessimistic manner I tell my brother no way they will sell it I contemplate not leaving my info.  I end up leaving it, drop off my brother head home,  pull in the drive and the wife looking confused says someone called about a shelf. Call back and the young lady says manager will sell it for 50.00 Load up some hand tools and away we go. I just knew it would come apart as it has bolt heads at all the joints.  AARRRRGGGGHHHHH

Spot welded  Dam it, Pay for it pick it up following day with trailer. It will not fit through the door, modify it a bit carry it through the door in pieces and put it back together in the house. The whole time the wife is trying to take possession "I like that shelf" Over and over :dry: (anyone married knows what that means) 

Now all set up and playing music or movies Looks pretty good IMHO and only 50.00

Shelves are a birch plywood with solid oak trim, and reinforced underneath with MDF for a total of 1.25 inches thick and heavy as hell. 

Pic of my 2 channel set up / 2.1 HT setup

As I type the wife comes up Leans over my shoulder "I like that shelf" :wub2:

shelf.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Looks nice in the room and plenty of surface space. What are those speakers you have?

The ones setting on top of the Tuba Subs are the Madisound BK16 Kit with the 168E Sigma Drivers, we use them with a tuba sub for a kind of Home Theatre 2.1 Sounds pretty dam good

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-16-folded-horn-kit-pair/

My 2 channel speakers out front are the Audio Nirvana 15" Alnico Classic single drivers in there 5.6 Bass Reflex cabinet ( I really like these ) Bass is stupid low in a single driver with 2.5 WPC

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/nirvana.html

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an15classicalnicospecs.jpg

• Thanks 1

Nice! I thought they might be full range drivers. They have a look reminiscent of some of the classic Tannoys. I would most likely appreciate the sound. Since I got the Ohms I now have a thing for a single driver sound, or near in the Ohm’s case as they do have a small super tweeter.

Just investigated your links. I’m getting some ideas...wife might not like them. I have zero wood working skills but one of my buddies makes furniture as a sideline. In fact he made my AVR unit which was a replica of one I wanted but was too expensive to ship up from the states.

There is a lot of hype on Davids site which seems dubious I know I felt  there was a lot of bragging happening. I must admit in all seriousness though the 15's in the BR cabinet have pretty much blown me away. Simply the best single driver I have had / heard to date.  I have had several over the years 2 or 3 lowther setups, 2 or 3 fostex setups, a couple different Zu offerings, Hornshoppe horns, 

With them all I was always left wanting. I am pretty happy with the Classics, truly full range IMHO and very efficient.

• Like 1

1 more thing, The speakers do in recording room ambiance like nothing I have heard before, Example: John Lee Hooker, The Healer, I swear I hear echos behind me this has happened on a couple other recordings as well, it is not my room because I have open space behind me for at least 10 feet. I pick up on other boundaries inside the recording as well. of course this is more than just the speakers it is the system / source as a hole. Same system different speakers I did not hear this.

• Like 2

I tried my hand with a single driver speaker a few years ago with Bob Brines FTA-2000, using the Foxtex F 200A driver. It was pretty good, but ultimately I missed the top end response and it wouldn't play as loudly as I liked. On simple acoustic music it was very good. But didn't hold together as well when things got complex.

image.png.91d867efb4032534de3f259db6a66cc4.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I tried my hand with a single driver speaker a few years ago with Bob Brines FTA-2000, using the Foxtex F 200A driver. It was pretty good, but ultimately I missed the top end response and it wouldn't play as loudly as I liked. On simple acoustic music it was very good. But didn't hold together as well when things got complex.

image.png.91d867efb4032534de3f259db6a66cc4.png

Part of the reason I bounced back and forth between so many  different speakers.  Though top end has never been an issue for me with single drivers. Some fostex are well known to require top end augmentation

• Like 1

Perhaps the full range singe drive concept does benifet from a super tweeter to handle the upper reaches. All good as far as I’m concerned and to what I am listening to as I type. Volume is a different issue I suppose. I like many live in a condo, so attempting to reach band PA levels is unrealistic, and undesirable. For many the focus is realism, accuracy and realism at moderate spls.

• Like 1

I rarely listen above 85db My headbanging days are mostly behind me. I still occasionally like to crank Tool, Disturbed, Korn etc... that usually lasts a few minutes then its back to my norm Singer Songwriter, Bluegrass, Folk, Jazz and the like..................I doubt there is a single speaker that excels at everything I think everyone must decide for themselves which attributes appeal to them most and go with that then suffer occasionally when  you are in the mood to head in another direction (That or own multiple pairs of speakers).  For the soundstage, tone, accuracy, realism, and coherence I prefer single drivers 97% of the time, since my space wont allow 2 or 3 sets of speakers I chose what suits my needs for the majority of the time. :)  

• Like 2