Got my first Zebrawood

Coytee

About 2 years ago, I talked to my wife's niece about making her a box.  Kind of a momento/memories box but, since she's got some disabilities, my wife called it her hope box verses memories.

Asked what color....she said purple.  So, bought some purple heartwood and had at it.

I think I posted a picture but here it is again.  First time in my life I ever tried to make something like this and was pretty content with how it turned out.

(a real woodworker would shame my attempt but, she'll never know and will be happy as a bug with it so all is good!!)

Now, I'm thinking about doing something similar for my grand nieces.  Yesterday, I was in Seiverville for work.  Knew there was a wood supply nearby so went again.  Walked out with some Zebra wood boards, some birds eye maple and some other, darker wood (forget name, not a common one)

These are destined to be Christmas gifts or something along that line so I have a while to make them.  Good thing because I'm slow as frozen molasses with this stuff....especially since I'm not well versed/educated in what to do and how.  (I just stumble along from piece to piece, figuring it out as I go)

Here's the old box I made, no pictures of the wood but man....  that zebrawood is lovely.  Intent is to use the dark wood as the base, zebra as the vertical sides and the Birdseye will be the top.

To be honest, I can hardly wait to start.  But, had an idea today.

My sister called today (their grandmother).  She's coming to visit in about a week.  I told her about this project.  Dawned on me that if she cut a couple boards, then we could honestly say that it came from both of us, rather than just me.

I still have two boxes my grandmother made me something like 45 years ago.  Hopefully, something like this will last as long for the young ones.

Bird.jpg

• Like 5

Teaser shots....The wood for the base is some form of dark wood.  You can think of ebony but it's not ebony nor, is it likely THAT dark.  I forget name.  Still....these are the sexy boards.

I was advised by a female (the gal selling the wood) that I might be better off getting each niece the SAME box rather than using different woods for each girl.  She said if they were different, the girls might always feel the grass is greener on the other side and cause issues.  

I said no problem, that makes it easier on several fronts.

wood.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made some dust today.  Bad part is, it's all in the driveway so there's no hiding it when the wife drives up (I've totally ignored her list today!)

Two boxes, eight pieces of wood....  I got the dovetails cut and disassembled the router....  dovetail jig and put it all away.  Went back out to take down the table I was using....decided it might make sense to pre-trial fit the boxes together when low & behold....

I put all the tools away but forgot to cut the LAST board!!!

ARGHHHHH

Drag it all back out, put it all back together....and scrutinize it a bit to try to get the measurements as close as I had them before.

(I guess it turned out all right)

Rough fit of the box.  Now I'll leave it while I cut the top & base.  Oh, and the base is in fact some kind of Ebony.  I don't recall the country but looked at receipt so, it's Ebony on the bottom, Zebrawood for the box and Birdseye Maple for the lid.

Don't know if it will turn out nice or just "busy" looking....  but it looks like they'll be strong & hefty.  

Zebrawood is 5/8 thick, planed down from 3/4"  Maple is either same or 3/4" (I forget) and the Ebony is maybe a full inch or close to it.  (it was thicker to give some dimentions.

What it really has done in total is made these pretty hefty for their size but since I'm giving them away and won't have to lug them around, what do I care??!!

Updated teaser shot of what I got done today.  Probably won't get to the base or tops until next weekend.

Both.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Nice looking woodworking, I didn't know you did that. I have never tried that kind of joint, maby when I get more room and braver.

You say your Grandmother did woodworking, that's different, she made a good looking box. . 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

Nice looking woodworking, I didn't know you did that. I have never tried that kind of joint, maby when I get more room and braver.

You say your Grandmother did woodworking, that's different, she mad a good looking box. . 

I don't really do this....  these are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd I've ever made (the two Zebrawoods are 2nd and 3rd)

I just sometimes jump into something with both feet to see what comes out the other side.

What my grandmother did...  I think is called decoupage (Deck - O - Pauge)  None the less...  I'm guessing the boxes she made were either premade or, kits and MAYBE she glued them together.  More likely, she bought them built and she decorated & painted the exterior.  I have no clue really.

None the less, I still have those that she made me....maybe 1974'ish or so.  Actually, now that I think about it....  perhaps the only two things I've had longer than my LaScalas!

Still....  much here that I don't know.  Also, let me tell you....that funky Zebrawood lumber has thousands of microscopic shards of splinters.  I don't know what will happen once I sand the boards but right now, seems every time I touch them I'm searching for invisible thorns in my fingertips.

Got more done today....  got the Birdseye ripped & cut to approximate length.  Don't think I'll join them yet....  time to feed the herd and get ready for a busy week (rest up some).

Oh, and regarding room?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA....  I did most of this on a surface maybe 2' x 3' (probably not that large).  Get tool out....use it.  Put it away, get second tool out, use it....put it away....go to third....

Yeah, those spoiled TARBS (brat's spelled backwards according to my Grandfather)  who have their own work shops are sitting pretty sweet.

Oh....  get this....

It looks like the ebony that I have for the base is one stick shy.  They didn't have what I was looking for in wide boards, so I got some 1" x 2 1/2" boards thinking I"d just build the base.

As it turns out, I'm something like 1/2 board shy for each box.

If I turn the base forwards / backwards (so from the front you can see the planks that make up the base instead of the "front" board, I think the math works out for me.  I just don't really want to make them go from front to back nor, do I really want to drive the 90 miles round trip to go buy another single board...

I'm torn...  I was going to work on the base until I hit that snag....  so decided to hit the easy button and work on the tops instead.

Now that they're cut, I'm back to my conundrum....

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Dude!  You're talking about his grandmother...

Yes 

4 minutes ago, Coytee said:

What my grandmother did...  I think is called decoupage (Deck - O - Pauge)  None the less...  I'm guessing the boxes she made were either premade or, kits and MAYBE she glued them together.  More likely, she bought them built and she decorated & painted the exterior.  I have no clue really.

OK, not that your Grandmother doing woodworking is a bad thing just unusual. The box looked really nice whoever made it.

18 minutes ago, Coytee said:

As it turns out, I'm something like 1/2 board shy for each box.

Could you just build the outside frame of the bottom with ebony and use something else for the center ?

I had no idea you did woodworking, it's a fun hobby, first rule in woodworking, learn patience, it's what I have the hardest time doing.

What are you using to layout the joints, I had a "thing" from my dad used for that but got rid of it because it was harder to use than trying it manually.  

9 minutes ago, dtel said:

Yes 

OK, not that your Grandmother doing woodworking is a bad thing just unusual. The box looked really nice whoever made it.

Could you just build the outside frame of the bottom with ebony and use something else for the center ?

I had no idea you did woodworking, it's a fun hobby, first rule in woodworking, learn patience, it's what I have the hardest time doing.

What are you using to layout the joints, I had a "thing" from my dad used for that but got rid of it because it was harder to use than trying it manually.  

I made the first box pictured, the purple one.  Made it for my wife's niece.  It was my first attempt ever and these are my next go-around.

I thought about using plywood or something (for the purple box)....  but to be blunt....  kind of felt that was cheapening out.  You'll notice the purple box has a purple base inside and outside.  So the Baltic Birch I bought (1/4") sits in the garage.

I wanted it to be "real" all the way around, without cutting corners.

I feel same way with these boxes.  I'll do what I have to do....to do it "right", even if that means driving 90 miles round trip to buy another 60" length of 1x2 1/2 ebony.

Personally, I'd like to keep one/some of these as I think the wood is pretty cool.  My wife on the other hand, would just as rather paint something.  Her father pulled me aside long long ago and said that Marion (my wife) was just like her mother....  he went on to say that "Mitzi never saw a piece of wood she didn't want to paint"  Marion seems to be the same.

I'd probably near scream if I made these boxes for her.....and she painted them.....

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Still....  much here that I don't know.  Also, let me tell you....that funky Zebrawood lumber has thousands of microscopic shards of splinters.  I don't know what will happen once I sand the boards but right now, seems every time I touch them I'm searching for invisible thorns in my fingertips.

Never used it but that's strange, I would think after sanding/finishing it would be sealed in ?l

You just never know with some of these woods. One time I planed a bunch of fresh Mahogany, it was summer so I didn't have a shirt on which will never happen again. All over my chest and stomach wherever the dust or tiny wood pieces touched made a bump the next day. Thousands of little bumps that looked like ant bites, it turned out it was from the oils in the wood just touching the skin, It want away a few days later. I say fresh Mahogany because it was unloaded off a ship a couple of days before right outside of new orleans, and was still somewhat wet with sap, it was marked Africa.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I made the first box pictured, the purple one.  Made it for my wife's niece.  It was my first attempt ever and these are my next go-around.

I thought about using plywood or something (for the purple box)....  but to be blunt....  kind of felt that was cheapening out.  You'll notice the purple box has a purple base inside and outside.  So the Baltic Birch I bought (1/4") sits in the garage.

I wanted it to be "real" all the way around, without cutting corners.

I feel same way with these boxes.  I'll do what I have to do....to do it "right", even if that means driving 90 miles round trip to buy another 60" length of 1x2 1/2 ebony.

Personally, I'd like to keep one/some of these as I think the wood is pretty cool.  My wife on the other hand, would just as rather paint something.  Her father pulled me aside long long ago and said that Marion (my wife) was just like her mother....  he went on to say that "Mitzi never saw a piece of wood she didn't want to paint"  Marion seems to be the same.

I'd probably near scream if I made these boxes for her.....and she painted them.....

I'm the same way, just a box plywood is OK but it takes real wood to make a nice box, it's hard to get excited about plywood. 

Our daughter is the same way, she would paint everything if it was up to her. If it's nice wood why cover it in paint, it's crazy.

It would be nuts to paint any of those boxes.      Sorry Marion, you don't paint nice wood, if you want a box to paint use much lesser wood.

Well...the nice thing about the wife painting things.....  she wanted me to make her a tray for outdoor use.  Wanted me to use some of the pine we had laying around as she wanted it 'distressed' looking.  Let me tell you....  after I got done with it, it was very distressed looking!!  (not by my skill....but rather, by my lack of skills & butchery)

The Zebra wood seems to be...  what's the word....  "fiberous".  When I hit it with the router, it machined pretty well but, there were strands still attached that didn't cut cleanly.  The Purple Heartwood was the same way.

When I was picking out the Zebrawood, I asked how well it machined....to which the guy started trying to think of ways to describe it to me.  Once I mentioned that I'd already done same thing with the Purple Heart, he said to expect similar workability.

So, it seems I've yet to pick a wood that machines well.  I'm actually kind of looking forward to that happening because it gets boring having to clean out all the fibers in the joints before putting them together.

• Moderators

I had no idea about either of those woods, that sounds like a pain. 

I don't mind pine for some things, it's cheap and easy to work with. Cheap unless you get clear pine, it cost almost as much as Oak. There were 2 sawmills close but both of them are shut down, Oak and Cypress were cheap, pine was dirt cheap. So now my planer rarely gets used, I need to find a place to get rough wood, it's really nice to make things whatever thickness you want.

This was a box for my mother, my sister asked me to make it for her, for her ashes.

The main box part is 1 1/4" sassafras, with mahangy bottom and inlay on the sides, first time I tried to inlay anything, also pine for a top and part of the bottom. My sister wanted me to use what wood I had here, she said it would make my mother happy. I took a picture of it because I would never see it again, and it was made on kind of short notice and no fun to build. 

I had one piece of sassafras, after being cut into 4 pieces it fit together exactly the size it need to be to fit the box going in it, it was 100% luck. I didn't want to use pine but she wanted what wood I had here.

house-11.JPG.838dd79b9fdac8c7f975b5a95161b1e5.JPG

house-14.JPG.d75507630ae99d7dd9eb32d9d83e2354.JPG

• Moderators

Ok, I was not brave enough to try it without a jig and the old one I had was missing parts so I junked it. Always wanted to try that but was chicken and without a jig would ruin alot of wood, thanks.