Sit on it! (need office chair advice)

wvu80

Few of my buddies that work in IT sector modified the seats from sports cars, usually from ones they are familiar with and know those chairs fit them nicely. Usually these seats have all sorts of adjustment options, so you should be good to go.

Attach the car seat to a generic adjustable chair base and enjoy.

On 8/12/2018 at 6:42 AM, Emile said:

Had many, many office chairs ... only good one is a Herman Miller Aeron chair ... usually $600-$1000 but I have seen them for $400.  OK; sorry, you may have to sell a speaker :D 

Aeron Chair by Herman Miller - Basic - Carbon

I like this chair recommendation 

Be aware that this design will allow airflow and reduces sweating 

Comfortable 

Easier to clean 

• Like 3

You get what you pay for when it comes to office chairs. The stuff from the big box retailers-Sam's Club, Staples, Walmart, etc., is just junk.

A $200 limit is just not going to get you what you want, and even if it does, it won't last. I've seen a lot of broken, low priced chairs in my day.

While my chair is not an "executive style" chair, it is a quality office chair-a Steelcase Sensor. It's almost 30 years old and when people sit in it, they refuse to get out of it.

While  no longer a Steelcase offering, it shows a quality chair is worth it.

The Herman Miller Aeron is probably as close as you're gonna get, or check out Steelcase's current offerings. As has been mentioned, sell a speaker (or two) if you have to, but get a quality chair.

• Like 1

At our weight, they all wear out in 7 or 8 years. 

One dumped me on the floor (rolling, and then failed to roll).

Two arm pads came loose.

One of the above arms ripped my arm open.  It was bleeding, so I went to the health center on campus where I worked at the time (SFSU), and said to the person at the desk, "Can I just have some sterile gauze  and some tape?"  She said, "Ahh, would that it were that easy."  I ended up having to see a doctor, got a tetanus shot (people were always commenting on the horse manure in my office), filled out a lengthy form, and the Chair and I filled out three follow up forms in the following months.  I always enjoyed getting close to the whirring bureaucracy.  That's when colleagues gave me the bulletin on the new element that had been discovered, Administratium, which had a very dense nucleus, surrounded by morons.  

5 hours ago, garyrc said:

That's when colleagues gave me the bulletin on the new element that had been discovered, Administratium, which had a very dense nucleus, surrounded by morons.  

I can imagine these morons can often get excited out of their orbit and away from nucleus ☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bought a Steelcase chair in 1993-4  for around 750 or so... still working great and good support.  I'm pretty hard on it but it takes it no problem.  How many of those 200 or 300 dollar chairs would you go through in that amount of time?  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 1:56 PM, wvu80 said:

Sam's Club has a chair I've sat in at the store for $199, the LazyBoy Alston Big and Tall. It's the most comfortable one they had in stock...

Sams Club Small Alston Chair1.jpg

On 8/22/2018 at 11:51 AM, windashine said:

Is there an update on the OP chair decision...

Well, after only three and a half months of researching, listening, testing different chairs, I finally went with the La-Z-boy chair at Sams Club ^^^ I listed in the very first post!  :rolleyes:

I considered more expensive options as suggested further upstream but I had my budget and stuck to it.  I know the limitations in quality but I went with the most comfortable chair I physically sat in.  I looked at a bunch of chairs on Amazon but I knew I couldn't return them if it didn't work out.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and advice.

Now, if you guys can just pick out a nice mattress for me...(see "Need Mattress help"  thread)  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 1:42 PM, Emile said:

Had many, many office chairs ... only good one is a Herman Miller Aeron chair ... usually $600-$1000 but I have seen them for $400.  OK; sorry, you may have to sell a speaker :D 

Aeron Chair by Herman Miller - Basic - Carbon

This chair is not practical.  What happens when you have to fart?  Nothing to muffle the sound.

There’s commentary about the chairs flipping and I get that. Years ago my old boss who is about 6’1” 300 pounds was leaning back in his chair and it didn’t flip it actually snapped and he ended up sprawled all over the place. He wasn’t hurt so we were allowed to laugh about it but he was still kind of embarrassed

I would recommend one of the Herman Miller type chairs, there are many out there. Staples usually has quite a few that you can try out that won't break the bank. The mesh keeps you cool while you are sitting and just about all of them have lumbar support. I'm sitting on one right now in my office as I type. Have had this one for the past seven years.

chair.jpg

• Like 1