Sit on it! (need office chair advice)

wvu80

I'm looking for a comfortable computer chair.  The style I'm looking for is "Executive Office Chair."  Some of the computer gaming chairs look comfortable as well.  Budget ~$200.  Go beyond if you have something close to that price range.

I don't need Big and Tall but that style seems most comfortable to me, lots of leg room.  I like the tall head rest, I don't want my neck to flop over the back when I lean back.  I am 5'11" and 220 pounds.  Is there anything from Amazon or an Ebay store anybody might recommend?

Sam's Club has a chair I've sat in at the store for $199, the LazyBoy Alston Big and Tall. It's the most comfortable one they had in stock and it has the high neck rest.  It also brags about some fancy memory foam, and it is comfortable to sit in.  It looks like a Sams Club only but it's not on the web site. 

Sams Club Small Alston Chair1.jpg

There is another one on the web site called the La-z-boy Connelly Big and Tall that looks almost exactly the same, same $199 price.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/lzb-b-t-spring-17-arm-controls/prod21000642.ip?pid=_CSE_CSSGoogleFix_Connex_32_662818&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=730010300001191243

0065629248026_A?wid=1500&hei=1500&qlt=80

The only suggestion I have is to action ally try it FIRST. I bought a highly recommended high-end ($1000+) leather office chair with multiple adjustabilities and after using for some time, I just do not feel comfortable in it for EXTENDED periods. As a matter of fact it may have contributed or cause back and leg issues I am having recently.

Go somewhere where you can sit in a chair for long periods and see if it's correct for your body type.

Everybody who is 200lbs doesn't have the same butt dimensions or leg length... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Schu said:

I just do not feel comfortable in it for EXTENDED periods. As a matter of fact it may have contributed or cause back and leg issues I am having recently.

I am with you.  I am also having some butt and back discomfort and I think the chair's foam might be compressed and the air shock doesn't absorb like it used to.

I think you are also going to be right about "try before you buy."  I thought maybe some people have tried other types of chairs such as gaming chairs with which I am not familiar.  They look comfortable.

3 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Make sure it has six wheels on it.

I don't see many chairs with six wheels, most are five.  What is your thinking for having six wheels, or what is the advantage?

Bonded imitation leather will eventually crumble, fabric won't be very fitting for the Executive style, which leaves wood or leather...

Another point - eventually it'll squeak, and the pad will loose it's comfort, which leave's me will one financially viable option to suggest.

Try a Serta Office Chair - the same company known for their line of bed's.  Extremely durable and comfortable, It's the last chair I obtained a couple of year's ago and some day, it's going out in the alley for trash pickup, and I am sure I'll go fetch another without blinking an eye or talking out a loan....

Con't - Office Chair recommendation - Office Depot - Serta's Verona - SKU 304576  - nevertheless, it has a mid back... but there are more to choose from,

Serta's Hensley Big & Tall SKU 304574 has a 10 yr warranty, 400 lb weight limit, high back, etc etc and is about 300 $$

The Mesh style chair's were too "NASA Looking" as in - that's a new description I just invented, with a reference towards the Jetson's tv show in the '60's, I had one for about 4 months before I got the Serta, and was able to Craigslist it out the door in a day, in Dallas

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I am with you.  I am also having some butt and back discomfort and I think the chair's foam might be compressed and the air shock doesn't absorb like it used to.

I think you are also going to be right about "try before you buy."  I thought maybe some people have tried other types of chairs such as gaming chairs with which I am not familiar.  They look comfortable.

I don't see many chairs with six wheels, most are five.  What is your thinking for having six wheels, or what is the advantage?

The chair doesn't tip over as easily. Yes, I have done it.

JJK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, windashine said:

Bonded imitation leather will eventually crumble, fabric won't be very fitting for the Executive style, which leaves wood or leather...

Yeah, that's hard to get away from as nearly everything in this price range comes from China.  When I read the negative reviews the first thing mentioned is the leather tears apart.
+++

Here's another Sams Club/office look-alike chair for $199.  It's a different brand but it looks like the others IMO.  This one has coil springs like a mattress and the multi-foam build.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/chair-leather-coil-b/prod12930214.ip?xid=plp_product_1_4

0004216739226_B?wid=1500&hei=1500&qlt=80

HON

https://www.bisonoffice.com/search/?q=HON&categoryId=395&sortBy=dh

Can not find the one I got ten years ago there now. It has 24hr foam in the seat. Very well made the fabric still is decent... we don't eat or drink often sitting at the pc... but there has been coffee almost everywhere in this house. The one i have only has one lever coming out from under it but it tilts, locks, goes up & down, the arms adjust too. The store is very good to deal with also!

This was like a $350 one that I got shipped to me for under $200!

IMG_20180811_165157.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I'm looking for a comfortable computer chair.  The style I'm looking for is "Executive Office Chair."  Some of the computer gaming chairs look comfortable as well.  Budget ~$200.  Go beyond if you have something close to that price range.

I don't need Big and Tall but that style seems most comfortable to me, lots of leg room.  I like the tall head rest, I don't want my neck to flop over the back when I lean back.  I am 5'11" and 220 pounds.  Is there anything from Amazon or an Ebay store anybody might recommend?

Sam's Club has a chair I've sat in at the store for $199, the LazyBoy Alston Big and Tall. It's the most comfortable one they had in stock and it has the high neck rest.  It also brags about some fancy memory foam, and it is comfortable to sit in.  It looks like a Sams Club only but it's not on the web site. 

Sams Club Small Alston Chair1.jpg

There is another one on the web site called the La-z-boy Connelly Big and Tall that looks almost exactly the same, same $199 price.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/lzb-b-t-spring-17-arm-controls/prod21000642.ip?pid=_CSE_CSSGoogleFix_Connex_32_662818&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=730010300001191243

0065629248026_A?wid=1500&hei=1500&qlt=80

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Emile said:

Had many, many office chairs ... only good one is a Herman Miller Aeron chair ... usually $600-$1000 but I have seen them for $400.  OK; sorry, you may have to sell a speaker :D 

Aeron Chair by Herman Miller - Basic - Carbon

I've got back problems and I have two of these. One I'm my home office where I do most of my work and a traveler for client sites I do longer jobs for. #2 Currently in the garage. Who needs me to come work for them?

Most comfortable chair ever. Comes in 3 sizes. Well worth the used price when a dot com goes belly up.

• Like 3

I have to relay what may be a $200 solution to the chair of this topic, for a man that constructs a lot of amplifiers and other electronics'.

--> How about a "used" leather SUV seat, with one arm rest - naturally, whatever the market has to offer.... then, since the seating issue is solved, begin a six caster board mounted optimum roller device which would hold a few tools and soldering irons underneath the seat, on the open side without the armrest, and several 4x4 solid oak platform risers to bring you up to the measured monitor viewing angle !

52 minutes ago, windashine said:

--> How about a "used" leather SUV seat, with one arm rest - naturally, whatever the market has to offer.... then, since the seating issue is solved, begin a six caster board mounted optimum roller device which would hold a few tools and soldering irons underneath the seat, on the open side without the armrest, and several 4x4 solid oak platform risers to bring you up to the measured monitor viewing angle !

C'mon, nobody is nuts enough to make such a crazy contraption!  :lol:

Right?  B)

• Haha 1

Actually, that isn't too far fetched an idea, and you could probably find one at a junk yard for cheap. We have junk yards here that price parts the same, regarless of brand, i.e., a door for a Chevy is priced the same as a Mercedes.

On the other hand, check out Steelcase chairs. We had them at the college where I worked and they are really solid. Look for someplace that handles used office equipment.

Bruce

13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I gave some bum info. I just looked at all of my chairs and they have 5 wheels. I am humbled.

JJK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, I haven't tried a search for a 6 wheeler chair, having flipped myself out of 4 & 5 wheeler model's at the most inopportune times in the past, BUT, I am going to offer this idea, because vehicle seat's are pretty comfortable, and everyone has their favorite.... I picked this 2 seater idea for stability, and the width employs endless options, for instance, say, ahhh… maybe your cat (if you have one) picks your spot, then just, without waking up, gently slide it over and go to work !!!

car seat into comp chair.jpg

Edited by windashine

23 hours ago, windashine said:

Since your post I have been looking more deeply into what the words in the ads mean.  If not for you I would not have made a distinction between "leather" and "bonded leather" and your comment, "bonded IMITATION leather."

I'm still mulling things over.  At this point I am leaning towards the Sams Club La-Z-boy Alston chair in my first post because I put my butt in the seat and that's what is most comfortable to me at this point.

I like the coil spring tech in another chair I referenced from Sams Club for the same $199 but I am hesitant to order a chair in which I haven't yet sat.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/chair-leather-coil-b/prod12930214.ip?xid=plp_product_1_4

I think you'd look hot in an Indy Car pod...  Custom made for you, surrounded in shock absorbing material w/a nice long foot box.  Small mirror and lil lights to tell you when to shift gears...  No "pleather" there!    I'll give Bobby Rahal a call and pick it up in Cbus for ya or he'd prolly ship after he got done laffin his butt off at me...  Can put 6 or 7 legs on it too if ya want.  Lightweight and virtually indestructable.  A bit pricey though I suppose...  :)