New DIY Sub Build Triple 15's

Fizik

Time for a new DIY build, My old 18" box was just a bit too big for my new space, so I decided to sell it and do a new build. This should have a higher output in a smaller box (according to the speaker design programs anyways). I'll be using the Dayton SA1000. It worked well on my last build and I found a good price on an open box parts express had. Drivers used are the 15" ultimax and two of the 15" passive radiators.

IghZEVY.jpg

New Drivers

JTj40nu.jpg

Dry fitting the box

4wUoS4m.jpg

Sealed nice and tight with PL Premium

C7EF9hv.jpg

Can't have too many clamps

NTcstPW.jpg

iccteYZ.jpg

guyLt7z.jpg

AI3YnYg.jpg

Some better final photos coming soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Couldn't do 4?  Even number ed drivers placed opposed from each other tend to vibrate less.

I've read the optimum amount of subs is three.  There is a law of diminishing returns above that number.  When running four, like you Carl I've also heard the optimum placement is in the center of all four walls.

I currently have in service a DIY sealed Dayton Audio Reference 15 w/500 watt Yung plate amp.  I also have the sealed Ultimax 15 w/Inuke 3000 w/dsp and in process of building the second one after I decide in what configuration I like the first one.  Each will have its own Inuke 3000 w/dsp.

I can run the Inuke 3000 w/dsp in dual 2 Ohm in which each of the dual voice coils gets its own amp.  I can also run 4 Ohm at 800 watts, or 4 Ohm bridged for about 2000 watts which I would run with a limiter. 

So far the only thing I've proved is I don't know how to set up the Inuke.  The Reference 15 sounds better according to my ears but I am no authority on deep bass.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:44 PM, Fizik said:

Time for a new DIY build, My old 18" box was just a bit too big for my new space, so I decided to sell it and do a new build. This should have a higher output in a smaller box (according to the speaker design programs anyways)

IghZEVY.jpg

New Drivers

The single looks like the Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil. That's the one with which I am experimenting.  I'd like to try running the dual voice coils but that requires a very specific amp setup which supports the DVC.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um15-22-15-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-514

The outside pair looks like the Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm.  That is the same as mine (High Output version) using the Yung SD 500 w/bass boost plate amp that I like best.https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390ho-4-15-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-469

+++

Nice build on the box!  Are you going to brace it?  My box is .75" MDF with a 1.5" front baffle.  I used the 3.0 cuft flat pack from DIYSoundgroup

What amp will you be using, and if using an Inuke are you going with RCA connectors or Speakon at the sub?  The Inuke only supports Speakon output connectors.

45 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I've read the optimum amount of subs is three.  There is a law of diminishing returns above that number.  When running four, like you Carl I've also heard the optimum placement is in the center of all four walls.

3 gives a weird load to the amp.  It doesn't hurt it but it's hard to use the amps to their potential I would think.

I don't think he's doing 3 individual subs Dave rather 3 in one enclosure.

12 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

3 gives a weird load to the amp.  It doesn't hurt it but it's hard to use the amps to their potential I would think.

I don't think he's doing 3 individual subs Dave rather 3 in one enclosure.

I guess it would help to have some more clarification on what the plan is. 

I am pretty main-stream in my thinking so I'm not accounting for some variables, especially as you say, three sub drivers to one amp in one enclosure.  I suppose you could do it if you had a sub version of the XPA-3 but the 200 wpc XPA-3 is used with lower powered speakers, not the high power 800 wpc those 15" sub drivers need.

Three sub drivers in one enclosure I never even gave a thought to.  I've heard of dual drivers in a push-pull configuration, and I've heard of a single driver with a couple of passive radiators but three in a box is unprecedented to my knowledge.  Especially considering he has two different types of drivers I have no earthy idea what the theory and practice is behind that.

Awaiting further light.  B)

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It could be 2 active 15's and a passive 15 radiator as well. 

If we are guessing it's probably a single 15 and two passives.

PE offers only one 15" passive radiator and it looks like it's based off the RSS390HO and it does look like the pair of drivers pictured in Post #1.  The single driver  is almost certainly the Umax 15.

I have both the RSS390H0 15 and the Umax 15 sitting right beside me.  A single 15" driver with a couple of passives should certainly rock the place.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

If we are guessing it's probably a single 15 and two passives.

PE offers only one 15" passive radiator and it looks like it's based off the RSS390HO and it does look like the pair of drivers pictured in Post #1.  The single driver  is almost certainly the Umax 15.

I have both the RSS390H0 15 and the Umax 15 sitting right beside me.  A single 15" driver with a couple of passives should certainly rock the place.

I should have said one active and 2 passives.  Normally the passive is larger than the active.

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I should have said one active and 2 passives.  Normally the passive is larger than the active.

I didn't know that.  To my eye the three drivers pictured all look about the same size but it could be the camera angle.  If @Fizik is building a 15" sub and needs larger passives it seems to me he would run into the same problem he's trying solve which is having an 18" that is too large for his new space.

Are dual passives a typical design?

Just now, wvu80 said:

I didn't know that.  To my eye the three drivers pictured all look about the same size but it could be the camera angle.  If @Fizik is building a 15" sub and needs larger passives it seems to me he would run into the same problem he's trying solve which is having an 18" that is too large for his new space.

Are dual passives a typical design?

He could either use dual passive 15's or a single 18.

The sides of a box with 15's will be smaller than a box with 18's.  He can go up if he needs more cabinet volume without increasing the footprint of the sub.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The single looks like the Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil. That's the one with which I am experimenting.  I'd like to try running the dual voice coils but that requires a very specific amp setup which supports the DVC.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um15-22-15-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-514

The outside pair looks like the Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm.  That is the same as mine (High Output version) using the Yung SD 500 w/bass boost plate amp that I like best.https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390ho-4-15-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-469

+++

Nice build on the box!  Are you going to brace it?  My box is .75" MDF with a 1.5" front baffle.  I used the 3.0 cuft flat pack from DIYSoundgroup

What amp will you be using, and if using an Inuke are you going with RCA connectors or Speakon at the sub?  The Inuke only supports Speakon output connectors.

I had an iNuke on a previous build and did not like it, had a lot of trouble getting the signal strength bumped up from to something the pro amp wanted. I like the Dayton SA1000 and the crown amps better. Not a lot of room left for bracing, 3 of the sides are taken up mostly by the drivers. The entire box is 1.5" thick though so that helps quite a bit. I'll be using the SA1000 on this one.

19 hours ago, babadono said:

Looks like his is baltic birch or some good ply. And walnut veneer to boot.

That's correct. I took some 13 ply 3/4" baltic birch and some 11 ply 1/2" and laminated them together. Then laminated on the walnut veneer which is about 1/4" and mdf backed. Works out to being just shy of 1 1/2" thick.