New DIY Sub Build Triple 15's

Fizik

On 8/13/2018 at 9:28 AM, wvu80 said:

I've read the optimum amount of subs is three.  There is a law of diminishing returns above that number.  When running four, like you Carl I've also heard the optimum placement is in the center of all four walls.

I currently have in service a DIY sealed Dayton Audio Reference 15 w/500 watt Yung plate amp.  I also have the sealed Ultimax 15 w/Inuke 3000 w/dsp and in process of building the second one after I decide in what configuration I like the first one.  Each will have its own Inuke 3000 w/dsp.

I can run the Inuke 3000 w/dsp in dual 2 Ohm in which each of the dual voice coils gets its own amp.  I can also run 4 Ohm at 800 watts, or 4 Ohm bridged for about 2000 watts which I would run with a limiter. 

So far the only thing I've proved is I don't know how to set up the Inuke.  The Reference 15 sounds better according to my ears but I am no authority on deep bass.

I do like the sound and look of the reference ho series as well. My previous 18 was a reference. During modelling the Ultimax just a much higher output compared to the 15" reference so I decided to give it a try.

20 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Looks like maybe he bought THIS?

I've shopped PE many times and I've never seen that kit, so I'm assuming it's something new.  The single RSS390HO driver with a couple of passive radiators in a 3 cuft box looks like a similar design.

27 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I've shopped PE many times and I've never seen that kit, so I'm assuming it's something new.  The single RSS390HO driver with a couple of passive radiators in a 3 cuft box looks like a similar design. I imagine the 18" version of that kit would perform admirably as well.

It must be, it was not there when I was ordering stuff for this build less than two weeks ago. Must be coming into stock for the first time in about two weeks. Should be a pretty nice kit though for anyone who wants a smaller cabinet and a higher output.

2 minutes ago, Fizik said:

It must be, it was not there when I was ordering stuff for this build less than two weeks ago. Must be coming into stock for the first time in about two weeks. Should be a pretty nice kit though for anyone who wants a smaller cabinet and a higher output.

Passive radiators went out of vogue for a long time in the DIY world in favor of ported designs which I assume are less expensive due to to savings on the relatively expensive PR's.  It looks like you are ahead of your time in bringing the dual PR design back.  Let us know how it sounds.

BTW the only thing I wondered about in your system was the DA SA 1000.  I wasn't sure if that amp is big enough for your Umax 15 which I think is rated at 800 watts RMS.  I don't know if the SA puts out the advertised power. 

Where I'm coming from is the Inuke ratings are optimistic to say the least.  As I said I have the Inuke 3000 w/dsp but it doesn't put out anything close to 3000 watts, maybe 2000 watts at most while bridged and 600 to each channel @ 4 Ohms.  The DSP feature is handy although I don't know how to set it up properly.  It is nice to use the computer to change the settings and listen to the results instantly in real time.

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Passive radiators went out of vogue for a long time in the DIY world in favor of ported designs which I assume are less expensive due to to savings on the relatively expensive PR's.  It looks like you are ahead of your time in bringing the dual PR design back.  Let us know how it sounds.

BTW the only thing I wondered about in your system was the DA SA 1000.  I wasn't sure if that amp is big enough for your Umax 15 which I think is rated at 800 watts RMS.  I don't know if the SA puts out the advertised power. 

Where I'm coming from is the Inuke ratings are optimistic to say the least.  As I said I have the Inuke 3000 w/dsp but it doesn't put out anything close to 3000 watts, maybe 2000 watts at most while bridged and 600 to each channel @ 4 Ohms.  The DSP feature is handy although I don't know how to set it up properly.  It is nice to use the computer to change the settings and listen to the results instantly in real time.

It sounds great when it's working, and definitely louder than the single 18" I had. Unfortunately, one of the passive radiators is defective and PE is going to exchange it.

I am curious about the SA1000's actual output as well. I would like to test it at some point soon and see what its really delivering. The driver is 800 rms and the amp is stated to be 1000rms. If it's not anywhere close, I may go with the original plan and pick up a Crown drivecore.

• Like 1

I have always loved the sound and the compact size of subwoofers with dual radiators. 

Definitive SuperCube use this style along with the Klipsch 310 and 311.

I just have one question... Would you like to build another? 😀

40 minutes ago, K5SS said:

I have always loved the sound and the compact size of subwoofers with dual radiators. 

Definitive SuperCube use this style along with the Klipsch 310 and 311.

I just have one question... Would you like to build another? 😀

Why yes I would like two of these, how'd you know haha.

• Like 1

How far does a 15" inch have to move to play a 20Hz signal at 95DB  or so.

I heard a 12" has to move about 1/2 inch but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I would imagine the distortion level would be kind of high compared to horn loading.