Step in here smart guys

USNRET

On 8/12/2018 at 6:00 PM, USNRET said:

Had to maintain 300 kts at 200’. Opening bomb bay doors created drag and you slowed down. Now if you set power to maintain 300 kts with engine anti-ice ON (10% power loss) you could open bomb bay and turn anti-ice off to compensate without having to jockey power levers searching for speed. Took a few thousand hours in aircraft model to learn those repeatable tricks.

Reminds me of one of the all time great movies ... Dr. Strangelove or how I Learned to stop worrying and Love the Bomb :D  Sorry; this was the Air Force :D 

Image result for dr strangelove atomic bomb

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2018 at 1:49 PM, Dave1290 said:

IF you don't move your car seat when you drive, try the old truck driver's trick...  Drive in as close as you want to park, look to the left, pick a spot on the wall and have someone mark that spot.  Everytime you drive in and look to the left, ya drive to the spot and stop.  I would give myself a few inches (or feet for a female) everytime.  FREE!  :)  LOL

thats what i do

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 7:15 PM, USNRET said:

I don't need the help to park, I can do it in a double blind test, but the 16 y.o. does.

Ok, a serious answer; teach.

Spend some time every week for the next month for an hour with said 16 yo as he/she parks, backwards and forwards.  Give feedback, give encouragement.

You will end up with a driver who has self-confidence and a life skill which will last a lifetime.

On 8/12/2018 at 3:01 PM, USNRET said:

The torque bar has a circumference of 3.14” but I don’t know how many rotations it makes full travel so don’t know who many wraps of string. I can’t see it to count as door is slowly operated.

I didn't read all of the posts. Has this been solved, yet?

If not, then I have a question or five. Do you have a shaft with cable pulleys that lift the door using cables and assisted by torsional springs? If yes, is the cable pulleys cone shaped? If yes, then the 1" shaft ( you mentioned the 3.14159265.. circumference ) has nothing to do with the rate of travel of the door in that the travel rate is changing as the pulley meters the cable…it is non=linear… not 1:1 or 3:1 or… it’s sloped  ~ L = Y2-Y1/X2-X1 

Regardless of the door travel, cable pulleys, diameter of the shaft or the phase of the moon, you want the ball held by the string to move from Y1 to Y2, right?

You will need to know how many revs the shaft turns from start to finish, then you can determine what size pulley diameter is needed to meter the linear distance of the ball.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:32 PM, oldtimer said:

Now you are taking all of the fun out of it.

I am a mechanically oriented person. I love mechanical solutions...I worked 25years in Brunswick A-2 pinsetters. One motor... 7  belts. a lot of cams and springs and a gearbox.

but, electronics are easy and cheap.

So, your HORIZONTAL door stroke is 85.5"?  You want the ball to drop 58" from the ceiling? 

Use 2 pulleys on one shaft and bolted to each other, side by side.  Suspend shaft with pulleys from ceiling.  The circumference of one pulley is 0.68 of the circumference of the other.  Wrap string around large pulley and attach to top of garage door.  Wrap string around small pulley and attach to weighted tennis ball.  Hang ball over parking spot at windshield.  Door goes up, string unwinds and lowers ball.  Door goes down and winds string up, raising ball.  Should not have sloppy slack hanging around. 

• Like 1

Maybe you could put elastic cord only from the stop to the door, and regular string from the stop to the ball.

When the door goes up it relaxes until it starts letting the ball down.

When the door goes down it pulls the ball up to the stop and then the elastic portion stretches.

Stays taut at all times.

If the mechanics of it takes too much brain power,  just leave it manual. Ball hangs in place on its string.  Attach a wastebasket basketball hoop on a rafter of some kind. When you want the ball out of the way, shoot for the hoop,  make it a sport. 

5 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Maybe you could put elastic cord only from the stop to the door, and regular string from the stop to the ball.

When the door goes up it relaxes until it starts letting the ball down.

When the door goes down it pulls the ball up to the stop and then the elastic portion stretches.

Stays taut at all times.

Already mentioned that possibility.  Rejected as too complicated by OP.

Rent a Concrete Grinder, with a 12" width, wheels and a handle, and grind down about an inch, like a path under the car wheels, and when you drive in, your car is aligned with this calibrated distance from the side's, and you'll feel a resistance as you approach up to and rest up against the end of the trench, which is your stopping spot.

Grinding down all the way from where the front tires reside, to the outside of the garage door, will give you a drip path for the river of melting snow or rain and mud, whichever, to effectively drain outside.....

edit is underlined

note - Dos Equis was not a contributing factor,

Situation - USNRET does not need rope strung all over the garage like a clothes line, and pulley's ripping the sheetrock off the ceiling when they malfunction, not that it could happen, but on page 4, I'm sure it will occur....

Edited by windashine