Subwoofer Not Staying On/Powered

jasonyormark

So I have a Model: R-112SW Klipsch Sub. Worked fine for a few months, and all of a sudden it started turning off randomly. After playing around with everything, I realized that it appears to have something to do with the power cord connection in the back of the sub. I have to un-plug from the back of the sub, and plug back in a few times and eventually it powers back on. But after a few thumps from a movie or music, it turns off again. It almost appears the the power cord in the back doesn't go all the way in flush like it should for some reason which may be causing the problem (vibrations pushing the cord out). It's clear that this cord won't insert any farther as is. 

Any thoughts, ideas what I'm experiencing here? Anyone else have or see this sort of thing?

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

I just started a post too. I am experiencing the same thing. I tried wrapping the power plug with a little electric tape so the fit is snug, but it didn't work. It only during heavy bass scenes of a movie. It works fine for me until it starts to get really loud. 

Edited by Drewski

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I found this discussion when researching the identical problem reported by others. In my case, it was down to the cheesy power cord. I thank those who pointed me in that direction.

I got a pair of needle-nose pliers, bent each of the connector blades on the back of the box inward 1/32 inch, and reconnected. The plug now requires a little effort to push on or pull off, and is non-wobbly when in place. The sub was fully functional when I repowered, and it has stayed on.

If your sub is still on warranty, please have it replaced by Klipsch at the earliest. They should replace it with the newer model SPL 120. Its a well known issue looks like with R-112SW eventually failing with these kind of symptoms. Apparently the issue has been linked to poor electronics inside(black goo of death). I had raised a query with Klipsch earlier since I have two of these, and they said they have fixed the issues. Not sure how far that's true as I continue to see people complaining about these rampant failures with R-112SW. I am living in fear to see the eventual death of my dual R-112SW. May the (low frequency) force be with me. 

I spoke too soon in my post just above; the sub was flaky again the next morning even with the better fitted power card. Then that evening I began to wonder if my wall outlet was completely reliable. I unplugged the sub and connected it to an empty 120 outlet on the back of my pre-amp, which draws from a different circuit. With the switch set to ON, the sub now consistently powers up when I turn on the power strip that feeds the pre-amp and the other system amps

In a couple of hours last night and in several hours of heavy use today, the sub hasn’t quit or faltered once. On present evidence, my sub is OK but I need to dig into a possible power problem in a wall outlet — or maybe the whole circuit.

MacLaim-

If it were the circuit, other outlets in the circuit would suffer the same problem.

Pull the outlet and make sure the connections are tight. (Switch off the circuit breaker first!) Otherwise, just replace the outlet; they're cheap enough.

However, since you switched the sub to the "On" position and it works, you could have a problem with the "Auto" function of the switch or the auto sensing function of the amp. Switch the amp to the "Auto" position and see if you still have the problem. The amp automatically turns on when a minimum input signal is detected. If no signal is detected after a period of time, the amp goes into a low powered "Standby" mode.

Very common issue.  I have only had one guy say it was fixed with a different power cord.  What we think is happening is the limiter.  Pretty much if you play Killshot by Eminem at full crank, it will shut off within 1 second.  Klipsch has been replacing the ones under warranty but they ran out of pretty much all of them recently so there is a 2-3 week wait on them.  

• 4 years later...

I obtained an SPL-150 and am unfortunately having a similar issue I have been questioning the power cord but reached out to Klipsch and requested assistance. They stated that the sub is not covered by warranty because I purchased in through a non-authorized seller via Amazon. Klipsch is sending a one-time replacement subwoofer amplifier that is on back order for me to install.

Did I purchase a lemon? Any advice? 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:05 AM, Poster said:

I obtained an SPL-150 and am unfortunately having a similar issue I have been questioning the power cord but reached out to Klipsch and requested assistance. They stated that the sub is not covered by warranty because I purchased in through a non-authorized seller via Amazon. Klipsch is sending a one-time replacement subwoofer amplifier that is on back order for me to install.

Did I purchase a lemon? Any advice? 

Glad they are taking care of you. Welcome @Poster

On 12/2/2023 at 8:05 AM, Poster said:

Klipsch  stated that the sub is not covered by warranty because I purchased in through a non-authorized seller via Amazon. Klipsch is sending a one-time replacement subwoofer amplifier that is on back order for me to install.

looks like you're all set