Awesome unreal guitar

joshnich

New really old guitar. Harmony H165   From th 1940s. Lots of work has been done. New bracing ( x style ie martins from the same era) new pin bridge, neck reset etc etc. I ave played a number of 30’s  40s and 50s martins and have to say that this is in the ballpark for significantly less than the 10s of thousands that one would pay for a Martin of similar vintage. In fact there were less than 20 mahogany martins of this size manufactured and if you actually find one you would be shocked at what they go for. 

04CB44B7-9309-465C-B478-30E2D815F7E5.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Schu said:

I know questions tell a bit about Martin... I don't know much about harmony. Is that a laminate?

First off I thought I was posting this to the what I got today thread! But to answer the question on Harmony guitars. There were thousands of Harmony guitars built from the 30s through the the late 60s.  They made both acoustic and electric guitars. In fact Keith Richards and Ray Davies both played Harmony Meteor electric guitars on their early recordings. They were offered under a variety of names : Harmony, Kay, Airline are just a few. Most were sold via mail order from Sears or Wards. They were mass produced but were for the most part hand build with hide glue . The most common woods for the acoustics were mahogany for the sides and backs and stitka spruce for the tops. They did obviously build all mahogany guitars as well. No they are not laminate. You can find a them for as little as a couple of hundred bucks in original condition. The most common update that you will see is that the original bridge will be replaced with a pin bridge. Given that they were mass produced, most will need a neck reset to result in a playable action.

The quality of the wood is generally better than what can be found today. And given that the wood is naturally aged they can be "re - imaged" into an excellent guitar.

I have owned a couple of Sovereigns in the past that have had modest adjustments and they are fine guitars. This one has been completely re - imaged. The top has been removed and the bracing has been replaced. The original Harmonys were all latter braced - an easier and less critical bracing pattern. The bracing that has been installed on this guitar is an exact replica of the forward X bracing found in Martins of that era. In addition the fingerboard, made of really fabulous rosewood has been re- shaped with new frets added.

Overall the guitar feels like a modern guitar with great action but sounds like a vintage Martin with incredible sustain and tone. Truly remarkable.

• Like 1

A good friend of mine has a '30s Washburn, with a bod that is close to the size of a Gibson LP, but it's a 4 inch deep acoustic with rosewood B/S and spruce top. He paid $35 for it. He is always finding deals like that. It sounds wonderful.

He also has two Martin 7-28 guitars., a 7/8 size D-28. Same appointments.

Did they scalop the bracing or use a "kit" assembly when they "forward shifted" the "X pattern" braced the top?

Top must have been bulging a little prior...

It's funny how much adding bone or fossilized ivory will bring an acoustic to life.

18 hours ago, Schu said:

Did they scalop the bracing or use a "kit" assembly when they "forward shifted" the "X pattern" braced the top?

Top must have been bulging a little prior...

It's funny how much adding bone or fossilized ivory will bring an acoustic to life.

No its not done from a kit. Before he opened his own custom guitar shop, the luthier who did the work, previously worked at Gruhn in Nashville and restored or repaired guitars owned by the likes of Elvis Costello, John Hartford,  Johnny Cash and Norman Blake.  So again the bracing it not from a kit. 

J