Heresy with Type HIE crossovers.

Dave A

Bought a pair of 1977 Heresy's that were a mish-mash of components. K24 woofers which are type 2 heresy's I believe. K-700 horn with one K-55-v and one k-55-v soldered lug drivers. K-77 tweets and two TYPE HIE crossovers. Thinking about maybe just converting these crossovers to AA's since all I have to do to do this is change one capacitor and using them elsewhere. I can buy old Cornwall or Heresy crossovers cheaper than an AA and these can easily give me AA's. But regarding the tweeter coils one has a 245uh and the other has a 365uh coil for the tweeter. Both are factory and I cant find but one HIE schematic so which is the better option.  Is this a good crossover for super Heresy's? I am going to put my machined tweets with DE120's in this so there is that to consider to.

Thanks Bob I will check that. On that particular coil I just took it loose at one and and did not pull it off the board for testing. The first one I did measure loose had a brass screw in it so i did not think to check the second one. It was also visually bigger so I assumed the higher value was to be expected.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 10:46 AM, BEC said:

The 365uH coil sounds like what you would get if you used a steel screw inside a 245uH coil instead of a brass or other non magnetic screw.

Bob Crites

OK finally got around to checking and a steel screw it was. Thanks for the tip.

55 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Those HIE's turn into AA's when you change the 8uf to 13uf. I am doing so and have bought a set of type E's for my future super Heresy.

Also considerable rewiring of the terminal strip to reverse polarity of the tweeter and squawker to make it a real AA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BEC said:

Also considerable rewiring of the terminal strip to reverse polarity of the tweeter and squawker to make it a real AA.

Only if you want to use them on Khorns or LaScalas because of the longer path length between Mid horn and the other drivers. Otherwise, for Super Heresy conversion, it's all ok as stock POLARITY, but coming from a different set of taps on the T2A.

12 hours ago, BEC said:

Say I had not caught that yet as I had not started with schematics in front of me to change them. Pair of pliers and a smidge of wire will see those easily changed and thanks for the tip. I am probably going to make them AA's since I just got a pair of Type E's in for my super heresy build.