Will my room work for K-horns?

Cornwalled

Hello all,

I need to seek the advice of those more experienced than I.  I've been curious to try out Klipschorns for a while and think I might "finally" have an opportunity.  I've been gradually clearing stuff out of this extra room.

My concern stems from the wall to wall cast iron hot water baseboard.  It's an old house with the thick baseboards that stick out about 2 inches from the wall, and are about 6 1/2" tall.  As far as blocking the heat, the left side already has a metal plate over it, and I'm sure I could do the same around the right side.  However I'm not sure if that will be good enough.  I don't want to dry the speakers out and crack them!

The other question is how could I go about getting them to clear the baseboard?  Is there any kind of a notch in the bottom as a provision for that?  Or am I better off pursuing a different speaker?

-Jon

Hello Jim,

The room is still very cluttered right now, so it's not really ready for pictures yet.  However I should be able to get some up in a few days.  The room is about 11' 9'' by 12 feet.  However there's really only one good wall, because the door is in the corner of one wall, and there's a closet in the corner of another wall.

My other concern is that since this is an old farmhouse, it's got some very weird ceilings.  In one corner, the ceiling slopes all the way down to 45.5 inches!  I looked up the spec sheet on the Klipsch site and it looks like the modern K-horns are 50.75 tall.  So, assuming older ones are too, I guess that's a no go.

The only thing I can think of is to take the door off the hinge (as I wouldn't need to close it anyway) and put them along the left wall.

I realize this doesn't make much sense without pictures, so I'll try to get the crap out of there so I can get some good shots. 

Jon,

I went down this round also. I have a 12x13 room with a cathedral ceiling. In my room they Khorn did not work. Now if I would have built backs on them then it may have been a completely different story, you might consider that as well. I now have KPT-942's in there and they sound outstanding. Unfortunately you are going to have to roll the dice and give em a  spin as everyone's room and ears are different.

I've had K-horns in large rooms, rooms with high ceilings, L-shaped rooms, and one apartment with 17 foot dimensions. At present they are in my living room of 12 x 24 feet with 7 foot ceilings.  The very worst sounding room was the 17 foot apartment which was awful and consumed huge amounts of power to get what was reasonable performance. Your SPL in a 11 x 9 foot room can't be very high but they should work. I had to cut reliefs in the bottoms of my older K-horns to clear the baseboard.

JJK

I had a pair of '78 Khorns in my home office back when I lived in Denton, TX but they were in way too small of a room. I thought.  It was maybe 12 x 12 which was the 4th bedroom being used as my office back when I was a rep.  It took nothing to run them but it was overwhelming.  I had a 24 x 20 living room but there were no square corners with how the room was laid out so they couldn't work in there, either.  I sadly sold them because I was selling everything off and going back to college at 43. 

24 (2017_10_06 01_49_14 UTC).JPG