Bookshelves outdoors?

Jeepcrasher

• Moderators

Welcome

I have to start with I don't know anything about the R-15PM.

But I do use some indoor speakers outside under a covered roof. The speakers are Heresys, they are exposed to humidity and changing temperatures. They were bought used in rough shape for a workshop before being moved to the outside bar. I painted them with exterior black house paint, I was also told to spray hairspray on the grills as this helps repel any water drops that might build up on the grills, don't know how long that would help ?

They have been out there for 4 years now and were in the un humidity or temperature controlled workshop for a few years before that and they play fine, plus the speakers were probably over 20 years old to begin with. This is my only experience, I don't know what finish you have or if you would be willing to paint them ? I only painted them thinking the paint would help with any humidity or moisture from causing a problem with the wood ?

Good luck, it's really nice to have some music outside without hauling speakers out everytime. 

9 hours ago, Jeepcrasher said:

I want to run the R-15PM speakers on my covered screened in porch.  Would the last in the long run. There is no direst moisture but there would be normal outdoor year round humidity. I would take them inside in the winter. 

What say you?

I have a non-climate controlled screen porch, and as the temp and other weather conditions are more harsh than anything strictly climate controlled yes it's gonna be harder on speakers.

Let's experient! What kind and how long wires do you have going to yours? Mine is 30 feet or so through two walls. And yesm, thgankjs fort reminding mer. I WILL take mine inside in the Winter!

John Kuthe...

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 11:09 PM, JohnKuthe said:

I have a non-climate controlled screen porch, and as the temp and other weather conditions are more harsh than anything strictly climate controlled yes it's gonna be harder on speakers.

Let's experient! What kind and how long wires do you have going to yours? Mine is 30 feet or so through two walls. And yesm, thgankjs fort reminding mer. I WILL take mine inside in the Winter!

John Kuthe...

The r15-pm are a "self powered" set and in my case will have a bluetooth source. The distance between them will be 15'-20'. I'd like to find a great pair of powered outdoor speakers from klipsch, or other quality manufacturers,I can run from bluetooth source. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open. 

I would probably go with some outdoor speakers powered by something indoor with streaming capabilities if you want longevity. Temperature and humidity swings are horrible for sensitive electronics and wood cabinets. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeepcrasher said:

The r15-pm are a "self powered" set and in my case will have a bluetooth source. The distance between them will be 15'-20'. I'd like to find a great pair of powered outdoor speakers from klipsch, or other quality manufacturers,I can run from bluetooth source. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open. 

Bah! Wireless is great UNTIL it isn't!!

Wires are generally ALWAYS on when connected, and connectors seem to be the biggest BUG!

John Kuthe...

• Moderators
7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Temperature and humidity swings are horrible for sensitive electronics and wood cabinets. 

That's what I was thinking, so I used something I think is a little less sensitive and cheaper to replace. A car radio, Pioneer Supertuner that has preouts and a old Crown D-75. The Pioneer has an adapter that plugs in the back and a 3.5mm headphone jack plugs right in. A phone or Ipad is used to stream music, or CD's with the Pioneer, it's been out there for over 4 years,. no problems. 

It's under a 16'x24' covered area, and sounds good, and very convenient with everything right there.  

The Heresys went where the grills are at the roof angled down and the box with the radio went behind the bar.

yard 35.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

It's open to the weather, but behind the baryard-10.JPG.c67e266d4d3b3d41b75af70e50c26ad7.thumb.JPG.b8f2736cf76345a4befebefe43bb5be6.JPG.

A 20' $6 headphone cable from Monoprice and you can plug in anything around the bar including in a hammock. Black cable is phone hanging on the pole, don't remember why..

It's easy and reliable, so far anyway and it's gets used alot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

Bah! Wireless is great UNTIL it isn't!!

Wires are generally ALWAYS on when connected, and connectors seem to be the biggest BUG!

John Kuthe...

I like wires better, but did want wifi for the Ipad's or phone's. Seems the cheapest way was to add a wifi booster on a short cord in a window closest to the bar. Before that wifi was ok out there about 80% of the time, with the booster it's always on, even if people are playing with there phone out there.

For $25 it was way better than dealing with trying to get a better router and it really works. 

I love when simple things work well.

netgear-n300.jpg

18 hours ago, dtel said:

I like wires better, but did want wifi for the Ipad's or phone's. Seems the cheapest way was to add a wifi booster on a short cord in a window closest to the bar. Before that wifi was ok out there about 80% of the time, with the booster it's always on, even if people are playing with there phone out there.

For $25 it was way better than dealing with trying to get a better router and it really works. 

I love when simple things work well.

netgear-n300.jpg

The sad part is, the MORE CONNECTORS you have, the MORE LIKELY any ONE connection WILL FAIL!

And you KNOW wireless fails often!

Wires fail less often!

John Kuthe...

• Moderators

True if more than a few people are on the booster the better chance it will buffer sometimes. Besides that the wifi is very reliable, might be just luck, probably shouldn't have said that. :angry2:

About the only time it's out is if the internet is out, but for that there's CD's or the 10 gigs of music on the Ipod. 

But I agree wires are the way to go, rarely a failure, I do not want to depend on my speakers connecting to a receiver or other box through the air to be able to listen to music.  And I don't want amps in the speakers.

• Like 1

E

3 hours ago, Emile said:

Haha ... if you are on "salt water" like me in Florida, NOTHING "lasts." Even "outdoor" speakers  ... max 3 years :( 

Exactly.

A friend of mine got whole bunch of professional KV2 speakers for reparation. Speakers were installed on the  beach by the sea for big rave parties.

They lasted about 3 or 4 years and after that they need maintenance.