Beatles Sound Terrible on My Fortes

Mark51

Replace those old 60's LP's with new remastered vinyl. Most are selling for $20 and are well worth it. That's what I did and they are some of the best sounding LP's I have going through my Rotel RA1570 with tone bypass on. The Remastered Mono version of the White Album is like having John and Paul in my listening room singing directly to me. Simply wonderful. 

Had all those records. Not going back. The CDs are like a veil of noise was lifted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Magical Mystery Tour on CD and decided to purchase another copy on vinyl since the other LP's I replaced sounded so good. IMO there's no comparison. Of course I wet clean and vacuum every LP right out of the sleeve before it ever touches my platter. No noise and no hiss. Apples and oranges though. Some prefer digital and other anolog. 

There is a reason why Beatles albums don't sound very good on loudspeakers that are anywhere near accurate in terms of their frequency response, such as Fortes.  Here is a demastering curve for Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (the song):

300287456_Sgt.Pepperdemasteringcurve.JPG.56740777edfe235ae677c9050a13e838.JPG

If you applied this curve to your preamp while playing this Beatles song, you wouldn't be complaining about the brightness.  All the other Beatles songs have their own unique demastering curves, but in general they have boosted highs and attenuated lows.  That's not a fault of the loudspeakers but rather the recordings--or rather what the record company did to the recordings.

Chris

What is demastering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1