My Car, Totaled...And a GOOD thing!

Mallette

Was in Hope the other day and whilst headed home my car was totaled by a 17 year girl who took another drivers signal to cross in front as a sign she could proceed with a left turn across the left lane as well. She couldn’t as I was accelerating into a light that just changed. No evasive action really possible as all I saw was a hood coming my way. Hit my left rear door and quarter panel. Car was drivable, so after the police and her parent I headed home. They’d accepted responsibility, and reported to State Farm so I took the car to get an estimate. It was 7100.00 and State Farm said it was three percent over and totaled it. Interesting in that though I’d had it 2 years and put 35k mile on it, they are sending me a check for only a thousand less than I paid.

So, I had 7 days before my rental car expired to find something. I put out the word to my homies and friends on Facebook and the advice and suggestions poured in, including some excellent ones. The best was from Stuart Beck, former classmate , who had a many decades relationship with a Ford dealer in Hughes Springs where he’d worked, managed, and trained most everyone there. The one vehicle that fit my price, miles driven, and reliability criteria had a description that I’d have completely ignore without Stuart’s recommendation: “This SUV is HOT and ready to move. Great condition. Locally owned by a little old lady that simply drove it around town. We know the background of this vehicle and we know the owner personally. Great SUV!!” Really??? The proverbial little old lady… Anyway, turned out to be all true. This thing is pristine, has only 20k more miles on it than mine had, dual zone thermostats, power seats, full color display, major load space, a 3.5L 6 that will laugh at my trailer, and has the handling and feel of a new car. And the price they offered was 8.5k, which is 3k less than my settlement. Of course, have to pay Ark sales tax, but still way ahead on this in every way. Talk about lemonade!

20180814_161913.jpg

20180814_161643.jpg

20180814_161710.jpg

20180814_161721.jpg

20180814_161737.jpg

20180814_161817.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Was in Hope the other day and whilst headed home my car was totaled by a 17 year girl who took another drivers signal to cross in front as a sign she could proceed with a left turn across the left lane as well. She couldn’t as I was accelerating into a light that just changed. No evasive action really possible as all I saw was a hood coming my way. Hit my left rear door and quarter panel. Car was drivable, so after the police and her parent I headed home. They’d accepted responsibility, and reported to State Farm so I took the car to get an estimate. It was 7100.00 and State Farm said it was three percent over and totaled it. Interesting in that though I’d had it 2 years and put 35k mile on it, they are sending me a check for only a thousand less than I paid.

So, I had 7 days before my rental car expired to find something. I put out the word to my homies and friends on Facebook and the advice and suggestions poured in, including some excellent ones. The best was from Stuart Beck, former classmate , who had a many decades relationship with a Ford dealer in Hughes Springs where he’d worked, managed, and trained most everyone there. The one vehicle that fit my price, miles driven, and reliability criteria had a description that I’d have completely ignore without Stuart’s recommendation: “This SUV is HOT and ready to move. Great condition. Locally owned by a little old lady that simply drove it around town. We know the background of this vehicle and we know the owner personally. Great SUV!!” Really??? The proverbial little old lady… Anyway, turned out to be all true. This thing is pristine, has only 20k more miles on it than mine had, dual zone thermostats, power seats, full color display, major load space, a 3.5L 6 that will laugh at my trailer, and has the handling and feel of a new car. And the price they offered was 8.5k, which is 3k less than my settlement. Of course, have to pay Ark sales tax, but still way ahead on this in every way. Talk about lemonade!

20180814_161913.jpg

20180814_161643.jpg

20180814_161710.jpg

20180814_161721.jpg

20180814_161737.jpg

20180814_161817.jpg

I don't see a trailer hitch.

JJK

• Like 1

• Moderators

Glad to hear your OK and you found a deal on a nice car. I like the SUV's, many times we have folded down the back seat to haul things, they really do hold alot.

The car should still be happy, it's now owned by an old man instead of a old lady. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, dtel said:

The car should still be happy, it's now owned by an old man instead of a old lady. :lol: 

Seems to be happy so far. Drove over to Magnolia today to give my son the tour of SAU, my favorite choice for where I think he can get a full ride, a great undergraduate education, and have a wonderful time. Many changes since I went there...almost three times the enrollment...but the friendly faculty, staff, and students were still exceptional. We got voluntary info from a number who simply overheard us wondering about this or that. Met some current members of my old frat, who were rather blown away that I was VP and President during the stone age. Actually, my son was impressed that I went there when so many names on buildings were alive and part of the campus. It's a very special place...and listed by Newsweek and many others as one of the best kept, lowest cost, secrets in higher education. Proud to be a Mulerider!

Dave

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mallette said:

Seems to be happy so far. Drove over to Magnolia today to give my son the tour of SAU, my favorite choice for where I think he can get a full ride, a great undergraduate education, and have a wonderful time. Many changes since I went there...almost three times the enrollment...but the friendly faculty, staff, and students were still exceptional. We got voluntary info from a number who simply overheard us wondering about this or that. Met some current members of my old frat, who were rather blown away that I was VP and President during the stone age. Actually, my son was impressed that I went there when so many names on buildings were alive and part of the campus. It's a very special place...and listed by Newsweek and many others as one of the best kept, lowest cost, secrets in higher education. Proud to be a Mulerider!

Dave

Magnolia? I have relatives that live  in Magnolia.

JJK

• Moderators

Couple of good places to eat there also, that chicken place on the end of town is one of the best fried chicken places I have been to, Chicken Express. 

It should be no surprise I tend to find someplace I like to eat. :D

There's a pretty good Chinese restaurant in Magnolia, in a shopping center of course almost at the end of town. We have stopped there a couple times going or coming to Hope.

22 minutes ago, dtel said:

that chicken place on the end of town is one of the best fried chicken places I have been to, Chicken Express. 

We have three of them here and I like it as well. We stopped at Burge's in Lewisville (US 82, the road to Texarkana from Magnolia) for one of their world class smoked turkey sandwiches. Place and food have not changed since I was stopping there in the 60s and 70s. Worth going out of the way for! Also mail order and premises smoked hams, turkeys, and such.

Dave

15 hours ago, Jirachi said:

Higher miles doesn't have to be a bad thing like damn near everyone wants to say now

Probably mostly us old timers. We recall when 50k or more was pretty much used up. Despite the nostalgia, no connection between modern quality and the old days. Granted, nobody ever changed their oil and such, but even then they just didn't hold up. 

Dave

I was 16 in 1969. I asked my Dad about buying me a car. He said if you can get that old Chevrolet in the driveway to run then you can have it. The car was 6 years old.

We sold the wife's Nissan Maxima after owning it 17.5 years. Never had a single problem with it.

Keith