How to install SPEAKER pole mount sockets

rockhound

Ok I picked up a set of KI-262's awhile back from a fellow forum member and want to add pole sockets to them for my sons PA project. I found an old post from @colterphoto1 that had some instructions for doing this. I would like to hear from those that have installed these on speakers that did not come with them for any tips/tricks. I did my usual searches hoping to find a you tube video with no success. I will be installing cups on both the 262's and some 480's I'll be getting at a later date. Anyway all help is greatly appreciated.

Old post from colter........

If you'd like to add a Pole mount socket to ANY speaker cabinet (make sure the mount will support the speaker's weight), here's an easy way to determine the center. Take a dowel rod (broom handle will work, put on a flat surface and balance the speaker on it, mark the point where the dowel touches the cabinet's bottom. Do likewise in the other direction. Flip speaker over, connect the lines - there is your center of gravity for mounting the pole socket so that weight will be evenly distributed.

I like to use the metal cups from Parts Express. There are two standard sizes, 1 3/8 and 1 1/2, some stands come with an adapter and I try to use the larger size when possible, but make sure they mate up ok to your intended stands. I like to drill a hole exactly the size of the cup so it is supported by the 3/4 ply somewhat. DO NOT USE WOOD SCREWS they might pull out. Instead drill holes and use #10 flat head machine screws, flat and lock washers or nylon locking nuts on the inside of the cabinet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rockhound said:

I'm surprised no one has installed pole sockets in SPEAKERS. Maybe I should have put this in the tech/mod section of the foum? What say you @CECAA850

Easy you get a hole saw and cut the hole and then use that as a guide for your router. Cant get a router bit big enough cut he shoulder then cut a larger hole in a piece of plywood and use it as your router guide and just go round and round until you have the whole shoulder routed.

54 minutes ago, rockhound said:

I'm surprised no one has installed pole sockets in SPEAKERS. Maybe I should have put this in the tech/mod section of the foum? What say you @CECAA850

The KP speakers I've had in the past (and present) have already had them installed.  Colter gave you a good way to find the balance point and from there, just cut a hole and screw or bolt it in.  It really shouldn't be too difficult.  Musicians Friend has some reasonably priced tripod stands.  I purchased a pair for my KP-2500's that are now on my back porch and for the price, I've been very happy.  I think I got THESE. .  Regardless, be aware that there are 2 different size mounts.

EDIT, there's 2 different size mounts. EDIT, maybe it was THESE as they'll do either size mount.  The stands I got came with bushings that will accept either size.  My 2500's needed the bushings.  Also, when you set up, it's much easier to lay the speakers down, install the stands and stand the whole thing up as opposed to lifting the speakers on to the stands, especially if you're setting up by yourself.

Got it. I'll also be cutting a hole in some 480's as they will be the bottoms with the 262's as the tops. Seems easy enough I was just looking for advice to make sure there wasn't nothing I was overlooking. Seems most folks use metal cups instead of plastic which is good to know.

On August 16, 2018 at 10:34 AM, rockhound said:

Ok I picked up a set of KI-262's awhile back from a fellow forum member and want to add pole sockets to them for my sons PA project. I found an old post from @colterphoto1 that had some instructions for doing this. I would like to hear from those that have installed these on speakers that did not come with them for any tips/tricks. I did my usual searches hoping to find a you tube video with no success. I will be installing cups on both the 262's and some 480's I'll be getting at a later date. Anyway all help is greatly appreciated.

Old post from colter........

If you'd like to add a Pole mount socket to ANY speaker cabinet (make sure the mount will support the speaker's weight), here's an easy way to determine the center. Take a dowel rod (broom handle will work, put on a flat surface and balance the speaker on it, mark the point where the dowel touches the cabinet's bottom. Do likewise in the other direction. Flip speaker over, connect the lines - there is your center of gravity for mounting the pole socket so that weight will be evenly distributed.

I like to use the metal cups from Parts Express. There are two standard sizes, 1 3/8 and 1 1/2, some stands come with an adapter and I try to use the larger size when possible, but make sure they mate up ok to your intended stands. I like to drill a hole exactly the size of the cup so it is supported by the 3/4 ply somewhat. DO NOT USE WOOD SCREWS they might pull out. Instead drill holes and use #10 flat head machine screws, flat and lock washers or nylon locking nuts on the inside of the cabinet.

Another tip. Consider time alignment if you can, that would be with the voice coils aligned in a vertical plane. Another consideration when mounting pole cup to the top of a subwoofer cabinet is - will the plywood hold the weight of the pole/speaker combo without flexation? If possible, you might look into putting an internal vertical brace near the mount to help spread the weight through the cabinet to the bottom as well. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ok now onto the other kind of pole, pic's are ok, unless it's of any of you.

On 8/21/2018 at 5:44 PM, rockhound said:

How could we forget????

It's like picking up Sammy Hagar from the airport, kind of hard to forget.