10 Years of RF7s ... any changes?

schwock5

I love my RF7s. I started with the RF35s as my fronts, and when these went on closeout to make room for the series 2 I snatched them up.

It's been 10 years.

While I have no desire to spend the kind of money needed to upgrade to the series 3 of these, I was wondering, do speakers need maintenance like old vintage amps/receivers?

I know there's always talk of changing the crossovers and such, but anything else?

After 10 years, if i wanted to "update" these to keep them as good as they were or to improve them without having to change speakers, what updates/mods are people doing?

How much should I be looking spend and how difficult are the mods?

I also noted sometimes recently my bass would sound off and when looking through the back porthole i could see the wire came lose and i'd have to attach it again.

They seem very small. Is that something people have upgraded as well? and with a better connection?

I lost my front grills long ago (cats thought it was a climbing tree), and i think some of the foam inside one of the speakers was torn up a little by a cat. Does the foam need to be replaced if it's shifted a little since the beginning?

On 8/16/2018 at 12:45 PM, schwock5 said:

I love my RF7s. I started with the RF35s as my fronts, and when these went on closeout to make room for the series 2 I snatched them up.

It's been 10 years.

While I have no desire to spend the kind of money needed to upgrade to the series 3 of these, I was wondering, do speakers need maintenance like old vintage amps/receivers?

I know there's always talk of changing the crossovers and such, but anything else?

After 10 years, if i wanted to "update" these to keep them as good as they were or to improve them without having to change speakers, what updates/mods are people doing?

How much should I be looking spend and how difficult are the mods?

I also noted sometimes recently my bass would sound off and when looking through the back porthole i could see the wire came lose and i'd have to attach it again.

They seem very small. Is that something people have upgraded as well? and with a better connection?

I lost my front grills long ago (cats thought it was a climbing tree), and i think some of the foam inside one of the speakers was torn up a little by a cat. Does the foam need to be replaced if it's shifted a little since the beginning?

Tight connections are important.  You should tighten up the connector or even possibly solder them if you are good at it.  The other possible thing is to rotate the woofers to keep them from sagging.  Some can do that though not sure about the RF7's.  Can't hurt though.

On 3/2/2018 at 11:22 AM, wvu80 said:

Is there a special tool needed to remove the front of these speakers? Are the holes where the grills went in the actual screws to remove to open up the whole front? 

A buddy of mine dabbles in repairing old turntables and is pretty handle with soldering. But i was thinking if i was gonna open the whole thing up, maybe it's replacing those wires, the crossover, and anything else. Just a little 10 year clean-up.....

Not sure what was going on with my post, but here it is as it should be:

Is there a special tool needed to remove the front of these speakers? Are the holes where the grills went in the actual screws to remove to open up the whole front? 

A buddy of mine dabbles in repairing old turntables and is pretty handle with soldering. But i was thinking if i was gonna open the whole thing up, maybe it's replacing those wires, the crossover, and anything else. Just a little 10 year clean-up.....