Looking for KG-4 or Quartet in Saint Paul

iaRIVR

Hi All-

Starting to build my first real system, and picked up an HK-430 which I think I paid too much for.  Still learning but sounds like Klipsch is a favorite with older HK, and the KG 4 is recommended a lot. Open to anything that would be good fit, ideal budget is $200-300 as I'm just getting started. Currently thinking Pro-ject Debut Carbon for a turntable, but very open to recommendations. 

I'm in the Twin Cities but could travel.

Thanks,
Mike

Definitely keep your eyes open for kg4's; highly regarded and not expensive. Also consider kg3.2's, either of which is in your price range.

Quartets are much more rare, and the price is likely just out of your range, but don't lose faith. I found a pair for $250, and they were all the speaker I could ever ask for.

Haha thanks all!  I've got a line on a couple of KG4s in the area that sound really promising.

This stuff looks like a lot of fun... and probably a new obsession.  So far everyone I've talked to seems to have at least 5 pairs of good speakers just hanging around.  Love it.

31 minutes ago, Shaun K said:

Looks like a set just popped up: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/phd/d/klipsch/6676438652.html .  Not sure if that's within the typical price range for these though.  

Enjoy the obsession...I'm up to 8 or 9 pairs of speakers now, and there's probably more to come :D 

Pawn shop prices. Typical here in MN is 200-300 listed

Hello iaRIVR  - greetings from across the river in Edina!  I've been enjoying 4 stacked KG4's for years! 

Difficult 2Ω load, I use ADCOM.  Stacking widens horizontal, narrows vertical. Mutual damping, +3dB

stacking gain, lower distortion, less gain compression. Amazing, 4X the performance for 2X the price.

Let me know when you would like to recalibrate your ears!  I would attach photos, but the server chokes.

On 8/21/2018 at 8:19 PM, HiFi Heaven said:

Hello iaRIVR  - greetings from across the river in Edina!  I've been enjoying 4 stacked KG4's for years! 

Difficult 2Ω load, I use ADCOM.  Stacking widens horizontal, narrows vertical. Mutual damping, +3dB

stacking gain, lower distortion, less gain compression. Amazing, 4X the performance for 2X the price.

Let me know when you would like to recalibrate your ears!  I would attach photos, but the server chokes.

Sorry to Hijack the thread but would like to learn more about your 'stacking' experience.  Have 1 pair of KG4's & looking at a 2nd pair for stacking.  Stacking identical speakers is fascinating to me.  Makes perfect sense but know there are negative effects also.  With their built in stands I suppose you aren't inverting the top one are you?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks

Invert lower KG4 to place horns at seated ear level for direct HF and near ceiling where sprayed HF bounces off ceiling, widening listening area to the entire room.  FOUR stacked 8" are a LINE ARRAY, doubling the H dispersion, halving the V.  Do the MATH.