Stumbled upon a great deal.

Daughertyon

Hello all,
My first post.
I worked at an Electronics store in college. 1990. I fell in love with Klipsch products back then. I recently stumbled on a great deal. Fully functional 1987 Fortes. Cabinets are in great shape. The Stands(?) could use some attention, have some delamination. Grills are solid with no tears or rips just missing 1 badge. They look phenomenal for 31 years old!

I have recently retired from the military and would love to go through and restore them to their former glory. I would plan to use them for the Mains on my 11.1 setup at the house.
I am by no means an expert.
I would hope to gain some knowledge from this site in my little adventure.

I have purchased Crites Crossovers with new wiring and his titanium diaphragms for the tweeters. My thought was to update some this along the way.

I will need 1 name badge.

Thanks for any help or advice along the way.

Neal

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Also both serial number tags are missing. The staples that once held them on are still there but no tags on either one. Kinda bummed about that. But overall I got a screaming deal on these, I think anyways.
Probably no way to figure out serial numbers without the tags, correct??

Wow, never thought about that or knew they were hard to replace. They are in perfect condition!

I started to ask how to cover them but will search first... [emoji16]

I ordered 2 name badges off the web. I took some 0000 steel wool to them this morning with some Watco Oil and Howard's Wax. Will get some pics when finished.

I found out the risers are just screwed on. I unscrewed them and spin them around so the best side is forward. Still gonna fix the veneer or go solid Walnut risers.

Crites internals should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to fire them up. I read about breaking in the new diaphragms. I will search for more about that too.

Thanks Gents.

Just noticed this. Looks like a puncture in the Passive. Still holds it's rounded shape but I believe she's punctured.

Any thoughts? I thought it still sounded fine. Will the air potentially escaping the cabinet adversely affect anything? Could I seal it with some adhesive? Or just leave it be?5a235ae91458b98f888166db02ceaa57.jpg

Just noticed this. Looks like a puncture in the Passive. Still holds it's rounded shape but I believe she's punctured.

Any thoughts? I thought it still sounded fine. Will the air potentially escaping the cabinet adversely affect anything? Could I seal it with some adhesive? Or just leave it be?5a235ae91458b98f888166db02ceaa57.jpg

Super Glue should mend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the new Crites tweeter diaphragms and Crossovers installed. I threw some adhesive on the 1 punctured passive. Just need to finish off the remaining cabinet and I'll be all set. They sound great. Mr. Crites recommended SimplySpeakers.com for my mids upgraded diaphragms but they're out of stock at the moment.  Badges should be in this week also. 

Nice score, love the walnut veneers. Those 12" passives come up for sale used on eBay all of the time as they are the same in a few popular models that often get parted out but I don't see any real reason to replace it the dust cap should not leak air at all and the other puncture looks small enough that a simple repair should be just fine. Hope you enjoy your new speakers!