First ever machined drop in tweets for Chorus etal

Dave A

OK I finished doing my very first install, actually it is the very first ever anywhere, machined horn lens for a Chorus using a B&C DE120 driver. I recapped the crossovers and they sounded pretty darned good then. The next step was putting the tweets in. Very simple direct drop in through the hole in the motor board with no problems. The crossover has had no modification for this tweeter and is stock  except for new and better capacitors. I have never heard anything like this before and had to drag myself out of the shop. These things just sing and the definition is better than any I have heard before. You may think I am kidding but this transformed these into the finest vintage I have heard yet excluding La Scalas and KHorns which are different beasts. I had this clamp plate machined for DE 110's and 120's and anything with a two hole 1/4 20 thread size on a three inch center to center. I had a set of  Eminence  N151M-8 that I tried first but apparently some values on the crossover will need to be changed as it was way to sibilant.  The DE120's just sounded good from the start and I imagine when they get broken in will sound even better.

What is the best tweeter driver for the Chorus I don't know but now for the first time you can hang it on one of these whether it is a 1 3/8 18 male threaded driver or like the above drivers bolt patterns. There are many that can fit here and it will be interesting to see what the experimenters end up preferring. I can machine these to fit more and probably use the same plate as a kind of universal except the 1 3/8 will have to be a separate clamp plate from the rest. This horn lens and two sets of clamp plates will get you a TON of drivers to play with.

Sorry for the crappy picture on these horn lenses. They are too cool in person but I don't know how to show this without all that glare.

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

• Like 5

Considering the things I got to hear last night over the things I had been missing with the K-79 if hotter is what it is I like it. Percussion, horns and stringed acoustic instruments sounded very detailed and I could actually hear them which in some cases before I could not. Songs like Cream's Toad and Tull's Bouree and some SRV just for the heck of it were very very nice.

I am going to sell this pair off since they are pristine and truly one owner and build a pair with the parts I have sitting around for my test bed. I am sure the things Claude will come up with for the Super Cornwalls will apply here in some ways and someone with more knowledge than I will figure out how to make other drivers work and work to the best of their ability.

3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I kind of like the glare as you might call it.....  it's kind of like they are shouting "Hear we are!"

Well the "glare" in person is crisp and well defined and has far more pleasing reflective symmetry. I just can't get it right so far in pictures.

15 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

They look great and knowing this place they''ll only get better...   Always nice watching a proud machinist grin looking at what they made!  Kudos and good luck!  :)

The biggest grin was last night while listening for the first time. Looking was fun but listening was amazing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, teaman said:

Dave, nice work. Did you manually machine the tweeters or did you make them on a CNC? Just asking for repeatability. Cool idea, next up your mids and some aluminum woofer trim rings!

Tim

CNC as it would be impossible to do this manually and yes more precise than ever would be needed.

6 minutes ago, Deang said:

Might be time for some powder coating? Maybe?

I have thought about coatings and decided that it is a rabbit hole I don't want to go down right now. I really like the milled finish and so does everyone who sees one. IF I were to consider anything it would be clear lacquer or something like it. As far as colors go when would you have enough and would it ever be the right color? I like what Ford said about the Model T and you can have it in any color as long as it is black. A can of spray paint will cure those color problems for anyone. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

CNC as it would be impossible to do this manually and yes more precise than ever would be needed.

I have thought about coatings and decided that it is a rabbit hole I don't want to go down right now. I really like the milled finish and so does everyone who sees one. IF I were to consider anything it would be clear lacquer or something like it. As far as colors go when would you have enough and would it ever be the right color? I like what Ford said about the Model T and you can have it in any color as long as it is black. A can of spray paint will cure those color problems for anyone. 

Gorgeous work Dave. My hat is off to you.

You could do these using black Delrin and kill two birds with one stone. Might give you a cheaper alternative to offer as well. Depends on your cost for the blank stock of course.

10 minutes ago, jorjen said:

Gorgeous work Dave. My hat is off to you.

You could do these using black Delrin and kill two birds with one stone. Might give you a cheaper alternative to offer as well. Depends on your cost for the blank stock of course.

== great idea. If powder coating and/or anodizing is a cost issue black Delrin is a good solution. And it just might provide a bit less ringing than aluminum. Although machining with aluminum provides a great looking finish.

4 hours ago, teaman said:

Didn't take you long to list them on Ebay!

Nope since what they were bought for is a test bed. Although I keep saying I want to get out of fixing up old stuff they somehow beat a path to my door and I can't say no especially when I want a proof of concept. Hearing is believing and tells a tale just like data does. I had a guy sell a set of really fine La Scalas back to me today because his wife did not like them and they are my next test bed. Had to laugh because he ended up getting a set of horn lenses with B&C DE120's for his Chorus speakers and he will be install #2.

45 minutes ago, jorjen said:

Believe it or not Delrin would be a lot more for stock and brittle compared to aluminum. When you start getting into 2" thick material you better bring your banker with you if you have to buy a lot. I have already thought of all these things and made a choice for aluminum for more than one reason.

49 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Yeah, I'd have to have them match the mid and woofer, myself

Well I never painted the chrome trim on my car and I like the contrast. Very easy to buy a can of paint and apply. Not easy adding steps to manufacturing and then when you offer colors everyone wants more and more options.

31 minutes ago, richieb said:

And it just might provide a bit less ringing than aluminum.

The only ringing from these will be the wood around the lens. You have no idea how much strength is in these to resist damage and resonance. You might scratch them but never break them and they will be more resistant to resonance than any other one out there in this same application and size range.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave A said:

Nope since what they were bought for is a test bed. Although I keep saying I want to get out of fixing up old stuff they somehow beat a path to my door and I can't say no especially when I want a proof of concept. Hearing is believing and tells a tale just like data does. I had a guy sell a set of really fine La Scalas back to me today because his wife did not like them and they are my next test bed. Had to laugh because he ended up getting a set of horn lenses with B&C DE120's for his Chorus speakers and he will be install #2.

Believe it or not Delrin would be a lot more for stock and brittle compared to aluminum. When you start getting into 2" thick material you better bring your banker with you if you have to buy a lot. I have already thought of all these things and made a choice for aluminum for more than one reason.

Well I never painted the chrome trim on my car and I like the contrast. Very easy to buy a can of paint and apply. Not easy adding steps to manufacturing and then when you offer colors everyone wants more and more options.

The only ringing from these will be the wood around the lens. You have no idea how much strength is in these to resist damage and resonance. You might scratch them but never break them and they will be more resistant to resonance than any other one out there in this same application and size range.

Nice assortment of speakers for sale. Assuming you don't list them in the Garage Sale? Also no shipping, so that would discount my interest anyways....lol

Just now, teaman said:

Nice assortment of speakers for sale. Assuming you don't list them in the Garage Sale? Also no shipping, so that would discount my interest anyways....lol

Since I seem to have stuff for sale all the time on EBay and Nashville Craigslist I feel funny listing in the Garage sale section as I figure Klipsch did not make this forum for me to make sales on. I do list things occasionally that I think are of interest and stop at that.

Yeah shipping is what it is. I have to drive everywhere to get the stuff and so will my buyers. That way they come here and listen and agree that I represented them right and they like them and once they leave with them I am done. No I didn't get it or it was damaged or you said it was this and they turned out to be that. I eliminate all that hassle and there are plenty of people who will drive.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dave A said:

You are right of course. I thought about it being brittle in some areas AFTER I posted. Every material has it's place.