Opinions on Crites tweeter for LaScala II?

elee532

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/La-Scala-II-Spec-Sheet-v03.pdf    says here 400watts ...is that not enough?   I dont think the older ones were getting blown by to much power but from poor amplifiers. While to much power will blow anything and Klipsch put those diodes in to protect them from an awesome warranty plan. I think it sounds better with out the diodes in the crossover. I think the  ''For Life Warranty '' was a good idea but there will always be people abusing it. I bet it sold a lot of speakers though...lol

35 minutes ago, elee532 said:

Yes, he does? What kind of skills/tools are needed to swap tweeters?

usually a phillips head screwdriver for the cabinet mounting and a flat head screwdriver to attach the wires to the crossover

• Like 2

1.  I'd imagine a screwdriver or perhaps socket wrench. 

2.  I can't imagine a pair of II's would "need" a replacement....  (as in worn out)  If you blew it, that might be different

3.  It's interesting to me how folks swap things and 99.99999% of the time, it always sounds better.  I wonder why Klipsch got it so wrong in the beginning...given the ears they have....chamber....testing tools...

(by the way, item #3 isn't directed at you specifically, just a general comment since I read about so many 'upgrades' and I don't think I've ever read more than two (if that many) where someone didn't like it)

• Like 2

Fyi... I think the motor board of the HF section needs a slight modification for the crites to fit.

It's very minor, but the mounting plate is slightly different than the oem plate... mainly around the four corners.

Save the old ones from any change you make, until you're absolutely sure.  I wouldn't be too surprised if new ones gradually wear on you.  The ear and brain always pick up on something different that you didn't hear before, so it sometimes seems like an "improvement," but I'd be cautious about making up your mind too quickly, and selling or tossing the old ones until you go back and forth a time or two as necessary.

Try to focus on just what sounds better on new ones.  Crites tweets can boost the highest overtones, which can raise the clarity of even the lowest notes.  I didn't find that to be a natural or very musical effect, plus they didn't blend as well with the midranges or bass drivers.  The phasing between the drivers seemed to be a little problematic, too.  Things seemed to hang together better with the Klipsch-engineered drivers and crossovers.  Good luck!

• Like 2

As Larry says, keep the originals until you are sure. If you have to modify the case work, I would hesitate to do it. I really like the ct125s, but wouldn't want to mess up LSII cabinets for them.

Bruce