Forte III Amp pairing (Tube or Integrated)

Ronan909

Hi All!

First post here. Apologies if there are other threads on this but Search has not come up with the goods.

Pretty much sold on the F3s but looking for a suitable amp to pair them with. Amp Budget is €2K. Will be used for listening to Rock/Funk/Jazz/Soul/Wave records. 

Have been advised to go with a low power Tube (Class A rating) whereby the amp will not be under utilized & push enough so that it’s best characteristics are heard with driving the Fortes. We all know the Fortes are 99db efficient. Don’t want the sound to be too “bright” but definitely have the “live” & “musical” feel.

Have been advised so far of the Puresound A30R. I would be interested in the Quicksilver Integrated but If i want to push the Integrated, I would need a less efficient speaker.

Dont think I can afford a pre-amp/power amp combo, so Tube or Integrated standalone piece of quality components will have to suffice. 

Really want to put enough thought into the pairing including cabling. Appreciate all advice you can provide to this novice :)

Thanks,

Ronan

Edited by Ronan909

The Talkin' Tubes section of the forum contains a huge amount of information about using tube amplification with Klipsch speakers.  I recommend re-posting there as well as spending time reading through the threads.

From your comment I assume you are describing single ended amps in particular.  While such amps do have a sonic signature, the idea is to keep distortion as low as possible.  Yes, higher levels of 2nd harmonic distortion can make things sound more "tubey."  However, choosing an amp which is running out of steam, thereby increasing such distortion, isn't necessarily the way to go.

Choosing an appropriate amp will depend on many things including, but not limited to:  how loudly you listen, distance from the speakers when listening, room size, type of music (as you stated above), presence or absence of carpets/drapes/window coverings, ceiling height, etc. 

It is also possible to actually measure how much power you require which can remove much speculation.

Maynard

I'll just simply share that I took quite awhile comparing and listening to various options before finalizing my choice for my Forte III system. 

When narrowing it down, my final two options were between the "PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium" and the "Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum II".

In the end, I decided on the PrimaLuna due to a combination of factors:  getting a better deal at the time (pricing) and also I liked some of the features built into it (mind you that I don't consider myself to be incredibly knowledgeable on tube amps/amplification practices) like the auto-bias, high bandwith of power delivery, form factor (smaller footprint), and ease of tube rolling.

I've been beyond satisfied with the sound and performance, and have not found anything to be lacking with regards to my application.  So there's my 2 cents.