New Receiver

Tony Whitlow

I bought a MARANTZ SR 5500 on FB marketplace for $40.00! I replaced my DENON 1603 because my sub pre out had developed a short.It was cheaper than getting it fixed.

WOO HOO! What a difference !

It has far better definition. Very happy with this find. A little more difficult to set up but well worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

"Marantz" to me always meant high end consumer electronics. Up there with McIntosh, etc. 

At least in my mind.

John Kuthe...

Well, it was back when Saul Marantz was in charge.  In the late 1950s the Marantz amps sounded a bit better than McIntosh.  They were sometimes described as "sweeter."  As a teenager, with teenage ears, I heard the best of both, cheek by jowl, in a store in Monterrey, California, in 1959.  Of course, both companies made only tube amps back then, like everyone else.

Then, in '70s and '80s they declined, with price point competitive stereo receivers and amps, that many people call "vintage," but vintage to me would be the amps, speakers, etc. of the 1950s audiophile era, when company founders would come to Hi Fi fairs and chat with customers, answer questions, etc.  Some would return phone calls.  Paul Klipsch wrote me a letter once, answering a question, cc to my dealer.  Marantz failed to answer two letters I wrote them during their '70s period of decline.  The "Better Call Saul" era was over.

Now, Marantz seems to have bounced back.  I love my Marantz AV preamp/processor.  It looks great and sounds great ... and, yeah, "sweet." 

• Like 1