Heresy III VS Heresy I- Opinions Anyone?

Cornwalled

Hello all!

I'm a happy owner of an all original pair of 1979 Heresys.  I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Heresy IIIs and was curious what you guys thought of them compared to the originals.

How would you compare the sound as well as build quality?  Are they still birch plywood like the originals?  The seller wants $500 for them but they look kinda rough.  In the picture there's a bunch of DVDs stacked on one of them.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon

Heresy III.jpg

You should answer you own question by listening for yourself in the same room with the same program material. Then you can consider a Super Heresy modification with those '79 H1's. then repeat the test afterwards. Assuming you are serious about better sound.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You should answer you own question by listening for yourself in the same room with the same program material. Then you can consider a Super Heresy modification with those '79 H1's. then repeat the test afterwards. Assuming you are serious about better sound.

As usual, "sound" advice from the Super Heresy inventor and tinkerer.......

15 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Listen to all three.  Then tell me they are marginally different.  Not even close.

I haven't heard the IIIs, but I felt the IIs were a big step up. If the IIIs are at least another jump, I imagine they are killer. Personally, if I had the funds, I wouldn't hesitate on a new pair.

Bruce

1 hour ago, Cornwalled said:

Hello all!

I'm a happy owner of an all original pair of 1979 Heresys.  I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Heresy IIIs and was curious what you guys thought of them compared to the originals.

How would you compare the sound as well as build quality?  Are they still birch plywood like the originals?  The seller wants $500 for them but they look kinda rough.  In the picture there's a bunch of DVDs stacked on one of them.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon

Heresy III.jpg

At least the guy that owns them is into serious sound. Thats not your typical DVD collection...

• Like 2

Some H1s are nice and brassy sounding.  Cortex tingling, as one person said.

Another H1 sounded dull.  It's a mystery.

2s are good.  They sound smooth above 60 Hz working as my surrounds.

I haven't heard the 3s.  People say they have more bass.

The one in your picture looks like it has seen some hard times.  Where the woofer is there is a white solid circle.  It may be dust.  Some times if a speaker is in a very dusty area, the magnetic field of the speaker sucks in dust (must have some iron in the dust), and the outline of the speaker is painted with dust on the grille cloth.  That won't hurt the woofer, but it would bother me to think the midrange and tweeter were dusty. 

• Like 1

I cant tell you anything that hasn't already been said. I have owned all 3 models and still own the 3's and 1's. To my ears the 3 is far in front of the other 2 models really no contest honestly. I hope by the time you read this you have already loaded them up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billybob said:

Any marginal difference between the two perceived sounds, as if they both even, with a slight variance, would appear to be another,

Klipsch in the line product signature. Cool...

Once more please. This time in english, if you don't mind.....😒

Shakey

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have heard all three as well...I've also heard Heresy ls with Crites updated crossovers and then again with his CT125 tweeters...I always liked the Heresy l better than the H2 but there are people on both sides of that argument...however...I heard the H3 when they were going to be introduced at the Pilgrimage and loved them...I have heard them several more times at a Klipsch Heritage stereo store...they are far better than my H1s I think (especially in the bass department)...in fact, to me, listening to them back to back with Cornwall llls I hear a larger jump in the H3 than I detect in the Cornwall lll from earlier Cornwalls...YMMV but if the price were right, I'd probably buy another set of speakers (H3s) they are that good.

Bill

• Like 2

I personally like the 1's because of the upgrade possibilities with the A55-g's, CT-120 tweeters and fresh capacitors I think they are better than the III's.

When I had the III's I compared them to my Crites modded Chorus II's and Deang modded RB-75's, the H-III's weren't even close to either of those IMO. 

4 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I personally like the 1's because of the upgrade possibilities with the A55-g's, CT-120 tweeters and fresh capacitors I think they are better than the III's.

When I had the III's I compared them to my Crites modded Chorus II's and Deang modded RB-75's, the H-III's weren't even close to either of those IMO. 

well I only compared Heresys I've heard...my Crites updated Quartets and the Chorus lls I sold this Summer sound better than the Hls and H2s I heard...I never compared them to H3s...Crites newer tweeter must be a step forward from his CT-125 then as well as the A55-Gs...

Bill

4 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Once more please. This time in english, if you don't mind.....😒

Shakey

The diff between the two may be a bit subtle, however to diff ears the margin between the two may be greater for diff people so, in any case, whatever variance between the two should be enough to declare the two diff enough to assign to them a diff signature/sound.

(Apologize for using the Queens's English)

• Like 1

Are you saying those are III's in the picture?  Don't appear so to me... maybe II's upgraded to III's?  The badge looks wrong to me... anyone ever seen anything but the brass on dark colored (Jubilee) badge on III's?

Anyway, I love the Heresy I's!  The III's are a definite step up.  For 500 I would buy a cosmetically rough pair without hesitation.  

7 hours ago, muel said:

Are you saying those are III's in the picture?  Don't appear so to me... maybe II's upgraded to III's?  The badge looks wrong to me... anyone ever seen anything but the brass on dark colored (Jubilee) badge on III's?

Anyway, I love the Heresy I's!  The III's are a definite step up.  For 500 I would buy a cosmetically rough pair without hesitation.  

Very good possibility!  I wondered how/why someone would beat up a pair of HIIIs so fast.

NOTE: For those who don't know, there was an upgrade available to make an HII into an HIII.

Bruce