Correct woofer for Cornwall’s

Natertots

What is the correct OEM replacement woofer for a first generation Cornwall? I spent a few minutes searching and think the replacement is correct, but I want to be sure.

I am early in my audio hobby and just picked up a pair of Cornwall’s that are in rough shape. The owner told me he had one of the woofers “professionally” replaced. I probably should have done more inspection but at $400 I took a gamble and bought them. When I got them apart I found the woofers are labeled:

K-33

K-33-P

Follow up question, should I consider finding a matching woofer?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, pzannucci said:

I gathered the suffix was the manufacturer code.

The "P" means it was made in Paducah Kentucky.

Do they both have round magnets?

I have a mint pair of K-33s that would be the most technically correct solution - but that doesn't mean you need them. What you have may be perfectly fine.

6 hours ago, Deang said:

The "P" means it was made in Paducah Kentucky.

Do they both have round magnets?

I have a mint pair of K-33s that would be the most technically correct solution - but that doesn't mean you need them. What you have may be perfectly fine.

Thanks for the correction.  I thought the E was for Eminence?  Definitely may not need to do anything with the woofers though. 

VI. HERITAGE DRIVER CODES:

1. Driver Manufacturing Date Codes: Example: 9429 = 1994, 29th week of the year (1994).

2. This numbering system is derived from the Electronics Industry Association (EIA) coding. The EIA did not issue Klipsch with an EIA prefix.

3. For further information on the EIA system, see:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pots.html

Note: This site has additional manufacturers (including non-Klipsch components and an excellent resource for dating non-Klipsch equipment by the EIA "manufacturer & date-code" system.

4. Klipsch Driver Manufacturer Codes:

Example: K-33-E would be the "Klipsch", part type 33 (15") woofer from Eminence. The suffix letter code generally referred to the Klipsch assigned origin/ manufacturer of the driver.

• B = CTS (Chicago Telephone Supply), Brownsville TX
  • P = CTS in Paducah KY (woofers only)
  • R = Rola (an additional "R" either stamped or handwritten also indicated replacement (often seen on K22's and K- 24's)
  • D = K-77-D; From 2006 to the present. Essentially a K-77-F (see below) with an integral recessed mounting flange. Permits flush mounting of the tweeter from the rear, per the “Z” brackets for pre Feb 1983 Klipschorns (KH Update kit: part # 1006969)
  • F = Philippines supplier that purchased the EV tooling (e.g. K-77-F)
  • EV = Electro Voice (early K-33's e.g. "EV-15WK", also EV 1828 was used as the K-56 for Cornwall in 1974)
  • G = Atlas (for K-55-G for Cornwall 1981-1983)
  • J = Jensen (Also used for University drivers in mid- 1950s; e.g. K-5-J - University model 5A HF, and SAHF)
  • H = Heppner (K-52-H in Cornwall-II’s)
  • K = Klipsch (Pyle - Klipsch purchased Pyle.  Drivers formerly assembled in Hope, Arkansas and subsequently in Hot Springs, Arkansas were then moved to Pyle in Huntington, Indiana)
  • E = Eminence (Primarily woofers)
  • V = Atlas (see also notes below)
  • M = Electro Voice (also for the Eminence K-33-M in 1967)
  • X = Atlas (e.g. K-55-X)
  • Ti = Titanium series (new design with titanium diaphragms)

• Like 1