La Scala improvements

Dave A

I sold a set of La Scala's recently and got it back due to WAF. So I finally got to do what I had wanted to with them to begin with. This is the first time I have put a final style convex elliptic horn lens with a B&C DE120  in anything here. Along with that I recapped the crossovers with Sonicaps just to see what they would do over Dayton and Erse's which have been my traditional caps. With the higher wattage capacity of the DE120's I left the Zeners there but took them out of the circuit. Then to make things better I used one of my too many on hand sets of K-55V soldered lug mid drivers. I did not bother to do one thing at a time because I was going to do it all anyway and wanted to hear the finished product and not step by step improvements.

Pretty dramatic improvement and all the shrillness is gone and horn honk is changed to be something that you can feel if you turn it up but it is not in your face if that makes any sense.  Well worth doing and every La Scala I get my hands on will have this done to it.

Finally figuring out how to take pictures of shiny aluminum too.

tweets in La Scala.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Very nice Dave I like it. That MCM stack in the back looks like  "go ahead let's see what you got' punk" lol.

Yeah it is. My EBay listing picture does not extend that high but I knew the subtle humor would be appreciated here. Missed getting the Altec horn in on the side though.

3 hours ago, Schu said:

Have you thought about powder coating those black?

Yes and no I am not. I do black and then also have silver and I have already been asked for colors. I am not going to open that can of worms unless I start selling a lot of these. A good can of spray paint at my customers end should work fine and keep the costs down. Besides do you ever paint the trim on your car to black to hide the cool chrome trim look? Not one person who has seen these first hand says anything other than wow.

I have some ideas for that 400 horn percolating and they wont be dynamat or polyfill. Now if I ever do anything that is another story. A lot depends on how my tweeter lenses sell and that would inspire me to do more things. On a personal level I have migrated to the pro stuff and really like the KP-456's and am dreaming of a super MWM + K-402. In the mean time I have that MCM 1900 and La Scalas just don't excite me anymore. I appreciate them and would like to have a reason to tinker more with them but other things are calling. The La Scala and Chorus I's are entirely different animals but I have a set of improved Chorus I's and La Scalas here right now and side by side I am liking the Chorus more. Re-capping and sticking that new tweeter in there has been kind of amazing. Before I stick dynamat on anything I think I will take my pile o Chorus parts and build one out of 1" baltic birch and then do the tweeter and crossover thing. 

So yes I guess I am crazy after all.

1 hour ago, Panelhead said:

If I had held off on a pair of La Scala ii this would be mine. Need to go see family in TN. 

Looks great, I do not have room for another pair. Stacked they are bigger than our fridge.

Stop in and see them anyway. I like an excuse to stop what I am doing and listen. Who knows how long they will be here though.

3 hours ago, rockhound said:

"dreaming of a super MWM + K-402"

This fall this needs to become a reality.

Well I hope so. Not easy finding my 402 and I don't want to buy new. At least the super MWM's will happen.

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, since you live in TRUMPville, that makes sense.

It's really cool here and crazy like a fox. Sign still in the front yard and on the mill and I am looking forward to six more years of watching really crazzeee TDS victims frothing and screaming.

On 8/20/2018 at 8:17 PM, Panelhead said:

I have family in Camden, Waverly, Huntsville,  Nashville, Hopkinsville, Hendersonville, Chattanooga, Winchester, and Goodlettsville. Never get to see them all. 

Coming from Texas it all feels like Trumpville. Both states. Where is Trumpville TN?

Trumpville is currently the whole state of Tennessee except for the aberration known as Memphis TN where sanity does not much happen. My particular slice of Trumpville is known on maps as Lynnville.

On 8/20/2018 at 8:20 AM, Dave A said:

I have some ideas for that 400 horn percolating and they wont be dynamat or polyfill. Now if I ever do anything that is another story. A lot depends on how my tweeter lenses sell and that would inspire me to do more things. On a personal level I have migrated to the pro stuff and really like the KP-456's and am dreaming of a super MWM + K-402. In the mean time I have that MCM 1900 and La Scalas just don't excite me anymore. I appreciate them and would like to have a reason to tinker more with them but other things are calling. The La Scala and Chorus I's are entirely different animals but I have a set of improved Chorus I's and La Scalas here right now and side by side I am liking the Chorus more. Re-capping and sticking that new tweeter in there has been kind of amazing. Before I stick dynamat on anything I think I will take my pile o Chorus parts and build one out of 1" baltic birch and then do the tweeter and crossover thing. 

So yes I guess I am crazy after all.

You had me at “super MWM + K-402. I don’t know what makes it anymore super than a MWM/402 combo already would be but tell me more sire.