Desktop near-field listening with flea power tube amps

tube fanatic

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 3:17 PM, thebes said:

Near, near field I usually just use my Klipsch computer speaks with built in amp, but why would you even consider that given your skills at the soldering board, so I'm thinking you be well served by a pair of KG 1.5 bookshelves, or something of a similar ilk.  The smaller Klipsch offering are not really horn loaded so you'd have to study the specs, but Klipsch has never really made a power hungry speaker.

I'd do a local Craigslist search for Klipsch bookshelves. Prices are very good on the bookshelves and you aren't out serious coin if you don't like them.

Just found this thread.  My situation is a little different in that I work away from home most of the winter.  Stay in a B&B that has minimal winter clientele so after a 10-12 hour shift I can often relax to some nearly near field (4'-6' distance) listening with my Macbook Pro streaming BlueToothed Spotify through an Audioengine B1 into a Rega Brio amp and into a pair of Crites upgraded KG1's.  Listen to IEM's most of the day while working so it's nice to give my ears a break in the evenings. Now this set up isn't flea powered by any means, though that's what caught my eye about this thread because I really want to try a small tubed amp with these small 2-way speakers.  They have really impressed me with their SQ.  The K-83 dhorm with the Crites Ti diaphram does an impressive job with the highs and I find the 6-1/2"  K-1 woofs provide more than adequate bass for  near field use.  They are only rated @90 db SPL efficiency but with the new Caps & diaphrams these 'vintage' sealed bookshelf speakers provide some very fluid & open listening.  So have to agree with @thebes that the older Klipsch bookshelf sized speakers were quite efficient.  I'm a sucker for vintage speakers anyway with some KG4's, Quartets and some older Polk monitors & SDA's. Had ordered the APPJ mini2013 tube amp from MassDrop but the drop was cancelled due to manufacturers long lead time.  So back to looking for an affordable 'flea wattage' tube amp to get my feet wet.

On 8/28/2018 at 2:19 PM, tube fanatic said:

So, am I the only guy on here who is doing this?  I can't imagine that you folks who sit at a computer all day are not employing some variation on this theme.  It would be nice to read your views on the subject, particularly in regard to the speakers that you are using or have used.

Maynard

I have Chorus IIs beside my desk which is like your desk running off of a Marantz PM8004 in a 10 x12' spare bedroom. I've previously used RB-3s on a desk for near field running off of a Peachtree Nova. I prefer my current setup but the RB-3s were good just not enough to be fill a whole house.

I used to have a set of JBL 4311s on my desk (approximately the size of a pair of Heresy). Now I'm using some smaller JBL Monitor 25s for the PC and the 4311s are in the living room on an HK430. The downstairs with the larger tv has the Monitor 25s, but there is also a pair of LaScalas and Heresy IIs. Hopefully, the LS will be replaced with some newly built University Classics.

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2018 at 7:13 AM, tube fanatic said:

I don’t think so either!  Lots of new designs are scheduled.  The locals have assured me that they are due for some new equipment and will help relieve me of my stock.  That’s the only way I’ll have room for the new ones.

Maynard

Hmm, Maynard, I have just refinished off some bookshelf speakers, and think I could take one of those off your hands if needed. I have my computer set up with an external hard drive,DAC,and about 45,000 songs. So if you need help getting rid of some stock, let me know. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hmm, Maynard, I have just refinished off some bookshelf speakers, and think I could take one of those off your hands if needed. I have my computer set up with an external hard drive,DAC,and about 45,000 songs. So if you need help getting rid of some stock, let me know. 

Smart move. You won't be disappointed. Maynard has a real talent for sound reproduction and Klipsch. Not trying to sound like a commercial but he has the skills, knowledge, and true love of electronics that is so very hard to find.  Got a sense of humor too, since he's tried to teach me how to follow (way, way behind) in his steps.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:04 PM, thebes said:

Smart move. You won't be disappointed. Maynard has a real talent for sound reproduction and Klipsch. Not trying to sound like a commercial but he has the skills, knowledge, and true love of electronics that is so very hard to find.  Got a sense of humor too, since he's tried to teach me how to follow (way, way behind) in his steps.

I have one of his other mono amps as well. Very good workmanship and sound out of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 5:23 PM, Tarheel said:

I think Mark Deneen was headed in this direction when he left the forum.  Seems he had rebuilt some JBL 100s and was using a Peach?  Don't know what else he was using in his system.

Is that the fella that was posting using a couple of different id's and then left in a HA-HA-Huff a couple of years back?

On 8/18/2018 at 4:01 PM, Schu said:

awesome... very jealous.

I am looking for a tube based headphone amp.

Schu, Depending on your budget you should look at the Leben CS300XS Tube Amp. Great for both speaker and headphone listening. There are some good Grant Fidelity brand tubed headphone DAC's that come up for sale from time to time if you're looking just for a small unit for headphone listening. They rarely come up for sale though.

Here's some mostly headphone related light reading on the Leben 300: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-leben-cs300xs-thread.415214/

Wb

This is not near field but here's my current office setup.  Schiit Fulla into a Chinese mini tube amp driving Klipsch KG4 speakers.  Plenty of volume for both the Grado headphones and speakers.  Tube amp sounds very nice even without trying different tubes.  Fulla sounds musical and warm.  

desktop.jpg

Edited by Mark51
insert name