Do Klipsch subs sound better ?

rebuy

Many different brands around.

So do Klipsch Sub have a "Signature Sound" like the normal speaker line ?

I have a couple of different brands of speakers but prefer the Klipsch sound over the others.

Does this hold true for subs or are they all the same ?

54 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

no but i have done direct comparisons to the 1802 and it is different.

Which ones?  To me they sound very similar to front loaded horn subs albeit with much more output.  I've certainly never measured them rather just using my ears.

EDIT.  I've never heard them side by side either.

On 8/18/2018 at 10:05 PM, rebuy said:

Many different brands around.

So do Klipsch Sub have a "Signature Sound" like the normal speaker line ?

I have a couple of different brands of speakers but prefer the Klipsch sound over the others.

Does this hold true for subs or are they all the same ?

Imo no.  There is no doubt different drivers have different quality levels just like in mains but at those lower frequencies there is not a difference in sound it is in clarity and capability i.e. distortion.  Low distortion and high capability within the range desired is what should be pursued.  

8 hours ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Buy hot sauce? Where, how? ?  

So if most all subs  sound mostly similar then what have Danly or SVS have as an edge over and above the others? 

Pm oldtimer for sauce.

Danley and SVS built their reputation on customer service and performance of their products. 

• Like 1

danley and svs imo have no advantage

both very good

svs is a very good deal for most needs.  fair price great service and high resale value

danley has very affordable options for nice horns

both can be surpassed easily with more money or diy

we mostly do diy because of the value

with skills and knowledge -- or knowing a builder -- we can replicate and surpass danley or svs for much less

i.e. buy a pair of pb16 from svs for 5000 or build 2martysubs for 2000

• Moderators

The only Klipsch sub I have experience with are 2 models, 1502 and 1802.

Have had and heard 2 Danley subs, there is no comparison to a 1502 or 1802. I am not talking volume, I am talking how clean and defined the bass is with music , not even close. Gave the Spud to a daughter with some Fortes.

The 2 models I am talking about is the Spud and the other one designed like it but bigger drivers/cabinet, can't remember the name. They do put out alot of bass and go deep but not close to the detail and quality of bass for music that the 1802 or 1502 put out. How much better was really surprising when switching one out for the other, I wasn't expecting that much of a difference, also runs circles around a pair of Kp-684's, sorry but it's true.   

The Danley is ok for movie explosions or rumbles, I thought it was ok for music, until hearing others.

Have no experience with SVS

Just another oponion

2 hours ago, dtel said:

The 2 models I am talking about is the Spud and the other one designed like it but bigger drivers/cabinet, can't remember the name.

Those are tapped horns.  I agree, they're not as clean as the 1802 or 1502, they sound more like front loaded horns to me.

• Moderators

I heard that before but don't know the difference between horns and tapped horns. Really now that I think about it I have only heard one other Klipsch sub besides the 1802 or 1502 and it was the THX subs. Indyklipschfan had a couple and Michael colter had a pair. I don't really count the 684 as a sub for the home, it's more of a live sound kind of sub, but not really deep enough  for a home sub, for movies anyway.

I once called the 1802 a ported horn and was corrected, it's a vented horn.  

Hey dtel have you noticed since we met Roy our speakers keep growing in size and numbers...? 

Linda didn't even bat an eye when I brought the 1502 Home... she just grinned and helped me unload it.:laugh:

Roy designs the best Tools for pressurizing the air in rooms or the outdoors that I have experienced.:D

miketn

my guess is "rebuy" is asking about the more common direct radiator subs like the reference series gold woofer subs, not horn loaded.  

my opinion is that klipsch doesn't sound any better than other same price subs.  in the lower freq of subs, 50hz is 50hz.  but as mentioned, the quality & capability is important, meaning a cheap $150 low quality sub wont have as much impact or hit as a good quality sub with higher power & better quality amps, drivers & box constructions etc.

klipsch subs dont have a signature sound you will notice compared to other quality subs... but if you do a search here or google you will find way too many problems with klipsch subs amplifiers goin bad, i would suggest looking into SVS or another company that specializes in subs like velodyne or HSU.  

• Moderators
On 8/27/2018 at 9:05 PM, mikebse2a3 said:

Hey dtel have you noticed since we met Roy our speakers keep growing in size and numbers...? 

Linda didn't even bat an eye when I brought the 1502 Home... she just grinned and helped me unload it.:laugh:

Roy designs the best Tools for pressurizing the air in rooms or the outdoors that I have experienced.:D

miketn

YES The 2 channel alone matched all the other speakers here by size, and easily by sound quality, and that was before the sub. It's all Roy's fault, and I do appreciate it, it's the best I have ever had by far.  

Linda has seen you in action long enough to not be shocked, she needs a chair in your listening room, or is that hers ? :o:P

Your right about Roy, most people don't really realize what he has done in the big picture. You could imagine how much  you would have to spend to surpass the sound quality you have now. He is very modest, I feel lucky to have been able to spend as much time with him as I have. The more I got to know him the more I liked him, completely aside from anything audio is the best part.

But he is a bonehead, or I should say hardhead, when he gets something in his head don't bother to try and talk him out of it.

Did you see his face when he thought I blew up the sub driver, it was priceless, it was like he couldn't figure out how I did it, and kind of impressed and shocked at the same time. :lol: