SET or PP on full range

joessportster

In the Past I had a love affair with SET amplifiers, Every system I used them with was multiple horn setups with SET on the top end. Now with the 15" single drivers while the SET amps do sound good I am finding I like the weight the PP adds to the mid bass / bass

I think it boils down to the fact that I am asking 1 15" driver to cover the whole musical spectrum which puts more strain on the amp. The PP with it's higher power just seems to handle the situation better.  I am still in the middle of my testing but the added weight can not be overlooked it feels / sounds more musical.  The extra power also offers the opportunity to crank the volume with files that were recorded low. It also adds slam to the bass.

When I used SET before all the drivers were either 8" and below or compression much easier to control, I would say the 15" takes more oomph to control transients

Dam it...............Looking like I might need to get a decent PP 

Depends so much on room size and listening preferences, but those speakers are fairly efficient (+/- 95) so a 300b SET might get you what you want.  I feel a good PP implementation can sound great and with a 300b PP or an EL34 PP you could no doubt get those jumpin. Let us know how it goes!  Warm regards, Tony

• Like 1

For me transients are super important... just as important as mid range smoothness and high frequency extension.

I usually do not listen overly loudly but the dampening factor that helps effect the transient response is aided by having a "little" extra horsepower... specially on speakers somewhere below 100db sensitivity.

But it's all personal preference.

Joe, it would be worth giving Bob Latino a call if you want to go with a good quality push-pull amp.  I think he offers terrific value for the money.

By the way, the forum has a section devoted to tube electronics (Talkin' Tubes), so you may want to post tube questions there as it serves as a good repository for such information.  Here in 2 channel, tube info tends to get buried easily with all of the other discussions.

Maynard

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Joe, you should talk to @Emile he has a Bob Latino amp for sale here.

Haha ... great timing ... a couple of minutes ago I put a "LOW" pricetag on it :D  $700, includes a LittleDot headphone amp :)  ... but not paying for shipping :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 1:12 PM, joessportster said:

In the Past I had a love affair with SET amplifiers, Every system I used them with was multiple horn setups with SET on the top end. Now with the 15" single drivers while the SET amps do sound good I am finding I like the weight the PP adds to the mid bass / bass

I think it boils down to the fact that I am asking 1 15" driver to cover the whole musical spectrum which puts more strain on the amp. The PP with it's higher power just seems to handle the situation better.  I am still in the middle of my testing but the added weight can not be overlooked it feels / sounds more musical.  The extra power also offers the opportunity to crank the volume with files that were recorded low. It also adds slam to the bass.

When I used SET before all the drivers were either 8" and below or compression much easier to control, I would say the 15" takes more oomph to control transients

Joe, we have been down similar paths.... I have found Nirvana ... Still use a 45 SET, but Bi-amp with an 500 Watt/per channel Class D amps on my Khorn Bass Bins.... Oris Horns on the Top driven by 45 amps, or 2a3 or 300b .....

• Like 2

Thanks for the input I have a very Nice Dynaco st70 MK2, If I get another PP amp I am thinking moving up the food chain to something along the lines of VRD's

I agree with you SCHU Transients are important, 

I was trying to explain that to the wife, Think of the driver like a car. A big car with a small motor obviously you would get sluggish performance, it may get you where you want to go but you are asking alot of the motor and eventually it will take a toll. Now a small car with a big engine You get the idea :) 

24 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Joe, it would be worth giving Bob Latino a call if you want to go with a good quality push-pull amp.  I think he offers terrific value for the money.

By the way, the forum has a section devoted to tube electronics (Talkin' Tubes), so you may want to post tube questions there as it serves as a good repository for such information.  Here in 2 channel, tube info tends to get buried easily with all of the other discussions.

Maynard

Thanks Maynard. I have posted a couple Questions in tube section but traffic there seems slow to non existent at times. I felt like this pertained to 2 channel as well since it is my end goal. I am working on setting up a decent 2 channel :)  If I am wrong the mods can feel free to move the post.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cut-Throat said:

Joe, we have been down similar paths.... I have found Nirvana ... Still use a 45 SET, but Bi-amp with an 800 Watt/per channel Class D amp on my Khorn Bass Bins.... Oris Horns on the Top driven by 45 amps, or 2a3 or 300b .....

Yes we certainly have, If I had a pair of Oris horns I would certainly be driving those with the Cary 45, Unfortunately Oris are pretty hard to come by now days and always seem to be on the other side of the country when they do pop up. I am always on the look out for a pair I will admit

I have everything I would need to put a pair together a bi amp / tri amp setup except the 8" driver which is not a big issue with the many choices out there today

I am really on the fence with this. I want to keep the Cary 45's they are outstanding amps, my single drivers are approx 97db efficient and the cary will get my main listening source preferences to a decent level (85-90 db at listening pos.) but when I run into those few recordings that are recorded at a low level the amps simply can not put them at a reasonable level. 

The DRD 300B's do better but If I am going too get away from the 45 out of necessity  the 300B is sort of like a compromise half way between the PP and the 45, (I am not much for compromise unfortunately,  I will always be trying to swing for the fences in 1 direction or the other.

18 minutes ago, Emile said:

Haha ... great timing ... a couple of minutes ago I put a "LOW" pricetag on it :D  $700, includes a LittleDot headphone amp :)  ... but not paying for shipping :D 

Cheers, Emile

Yes that is a great deal, Unfortunately I have 2 headphone amps and the dynaco GLWS

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, cincymat said:

As I’m reading this I’m listening to a 5 wpc SET amp SWITCHING between  Heresy III and Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers.  I’ve had VRD’s they don’t sound as good,

imho,

Cincy

I have had VRD in the past and sold them because they were not a good match for the setup at the time. I am a  FIRM believer the setup as a whole will be the biggest factor in what type amp will perform / sound best.  I currently have a 5 watt sep, a 2.5 watt set, a 9 watt set, and the 35 watt PP..................All sound Good but on the 15" driver it sounds like the PP has more control, tighter bass, more impact and simply a fuller sound. Since I am running a single driver at full range, a fuller sound just makes sense. (although I am not 100% convinced yet, The 45 is my nemesis :)  

Well, that’s quite a line up of amplifiers. I had La Scalas in a large room with the VRDs. Didn’t think they paired well. Never tried the single driver route. Maybe a bit more power will make that sing. You'll never know unless you try. 

I have a push pull CJ amp in it’s box that I’ve tried just for a day or two. The 60 wpc was too much for my room. I’m saving it for later thinking my Khorns might like it in a bigger room. Right now my Khorns are the largest front left and rights in a home theater one could imagine. Poor things. They so want to play in my stereo room. 

You’re absolutely correct in matching the system to the room. 

Cincy

=== appears you’d like to make a stand and stay single ended? Can’t really blame you so if you want your mind blown try a pair Audio Mirror 45 watt single ended monos. You won’t be disappointed but prepare for plenty of heat from a quad of Russian 6c33 bottles. These are the most spacious, full, deep and powerful single ended amps you are likely to find for a somewhat reasonable $$$. Or find a pair of Audio Mirror 20 watt single ended monos running 6as7 tubes. Twenty watts single ended is also something to behold - trust me. I’ve owned all the above. Like I used to tell my customers - my name is Rich and I’m here to help you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cincymat said:

Well, that’s quite a line up of amplifiers. I had La Scalas in a large room with the VRDs. Didn’t think they paired well. Never tried the single driver route. Maybe a bit more power will make that sing. You'll never know unless you try. 

I have a push pull CJ amp in it’s box that I’ve tried just for a day or two. The 60 wpc was too much for my room. I’m saving it for later thinking my Khorns might like it in a bigger room. Right now my Khorns are the largest front left and rights in a home theater one could imagine. Poor things. They so want to play in my stereo room. 

You’re absolutely correct in matching the system to the room. 

Cincy

So its collecting dust... Better break out the dustbuster... And try agian...

try early evening listening.. When everything is settled down..

I'm not sure of your room size... Or even speaker placement.. But I'm aware of the h'3...

you will have to play around with..

power out put.. And find the sweet spot... Where the everything congeals and you have synergy.. Not sure of the tubes your using in mv...

But you might want to roll some tubes.. In the pv...

I don't think you will have .. Your dial

On the pv... Past the 8 o'clock mark..

11 minutes ago, cincymat said:

It’s not gathering dust being carefully stored away. 

When I tried it with my La Scalas I didn’t make it past 7:30 on the PV. 

Cleared my sinuses, it did. 

Cincy

I think you have to listen .. Or get used to the sound of the h3..

It's a different animal.. Than the ls..

but the same In many ways..

5 hours ago, joessportster said:

Joe have you tried the altec 604's ?