R-112SW NA Cutting Out with Deep or Intense Bass

Drewski

Hi Everyone, 

I have an R-112SW hooked up to my AVR using LFE. When watching regular scenes with little bass the sub performs as normal. When it gets too intense or very deep bass it cuts out. If I unplug it for 15 seconds or so and plug it back in it powers back up and works fine until another scene. Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions. I purchased the subwoofer February of 2017. I am not sure if it is still under warranty. 

Thanks,

Drewski

The amp could be getting too hot or overdriven and the circuit protection kicking in, have you tried dialing it back a bit to see if it keeps happening? Might be time for a second sub or possibly a larger one if the 12 can't keep up.

I have the gain about half way and it still cuts out. I can lower it a bit. My seating area is 12x14 the highs and midbass come through clear and the bass is deep enough when the sub is working properly.  Is the gain still too high? Here is my 5.1.2 setup :

LR - RP-250F

LRA - RP-140SA

C - RP-250C

SLR - RP-150M 

SW - R-112SW

AVR - Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301

Source - Oppo UDP-203

Edited by Drewski

Many subwoofers have a protection circuit that will turn the sub off if the SPL gets too high.  I once asked a Klipsch engineer if they were fast enough to provide fairly complete protection.  His answer, "Some people can blow out anything."

In your case, you should call Klipsch customer service and ask them, since your subs might be under warranty.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 7:31 AM, CECAA850 said:

What is the level on your subwoofer output in your avr?  

+0.0dB, I contacted the support and they walked me through a couple of steps. They are sending a replacement amp for the unit. Seems to be a common thread on this forum. I wonder if I just got one from a bad lot. 

On 8/23/2018 at 10:43 AM, CECAA850 said:

If you have issues with your new amp, it may be your signal clipping in your AVR.  Bump it down and then bump your sub amps gain up to compensate.

Sounds good to me. Should I put the gain all the way up then run MCACC on my AVR? 

31 minutes ago, Drewski said:

Sounds good to me. Should I put the gain all the way up then run MCACC on my AVR? 

I'd wait and see if the new amp fixes everything prior to making any other changes.  Normally if I'm having any type of problem that involves troubleshooting, I change one variable at a time then retest.

• Like 1